StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am tightening up the tool kit for my trip from Dallas to Alaska in June. I notice that people suggest keeping a bit of spare chain and a master link or two. Is this practical? Here is my thinking... I just replaced my chain and sprockets, so I am starting fresh there. The new chain has a rivet style master link, and although it was my first attempt at riveting a master link, I believe I did it correctly. So, say the master link failed, or any link for that matter, (and the chain didn't smash the engine to pieces) how would that spare chain and link help me. I am not carrying my chain tool with me. Maybe I should?

What are you guys doing? Are you carrying the chain tool with you? Maybe just a file and spare clip style master link? Any experiences with this sort of thing?

Jordan

·
Registered
94 Posts
Forget the spare chain....the adventure begins when the plans fall apart....do you know who said this?

Seriously, just get it fixed on the road, and meet some people in the mean time. But, if its new, and we're talking 1 trip less than 20,000 miles, forget about it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
When are you going?

Jordan,

Do you have a definite departure date yet? I'm looking at the same destination from Dallas :thumbup: and need to see who I can hook up with for at least part of the trip.

I just received a new chain and sprockets which I'll put on this weekend. I'll ride it a few hundreds miles before the trip, so I won't bring any chain tools.

I'm thinking somewhere between 4 to 8 weeks on the road. What about you?

Yenster

·
Registered
162 Posts
I've had chains jam when they fail...between the swingarm and sprocket, frame, engine, etc. If it jams up, it will twist and or visibly stretch. A few extra links of chain and a couple extra masterlinks allows you to remove any twisted, kinked, or over-stretched links.

Is it worth hauling? That depends on what the consequences of being stuck are...if your in most developed areas of the lower 48, not worth it; if your in the middle of Mongolia, worth it. In between, you've got to draw that line...

I also agree with dekruyter, if the risk of being stranded is managable then its part of the adventure, but I take a certain satisfaction of knowing I'm totally self-sufficient (even if I'm within walking distance of the next exit). Then again, I patched a tire 3 times in an hour to get home rather than walk home and get a trailer (about the same amount of time, but more satisfying).

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jordan,

Do you have a definite departure date yet? I'm looking at the same destination from Dallas :thumbup: and need to see who I can hook up with for at least part of the trip.

I just received a new chain and sprockets which I'll put on this weekend. I'll ride it a few hundreds miles before the trip, so I won't bring any chain tools.

I'm thinking somewhere between 4 to 8 weeks on the road. What about you?

Yenster

We are headed out Monday May 31st. I have started a blog and plan on posting from the rode with the netbook. www.2texans2alaska.blogspot.com it has our route and some planning on it. We are estimating about 35 days or so. When is your departure?

·
Premium Member
2,680 Posts
I am tightening up the tool kit for my trip from Dallas to Alaska in June. I notice that people suggest keeping a bit of spare chain and a master link or two. Is this practical? Here is my thinking... I just replaced my chain and sprockets, so I am starting fresh there. The new chain has a rivet style master link, and although it was my first attempt at riveting a master link, I believe I did it correctly. So, say the master link failed, or any link for that matter, (and the chain didn't smash the engine to pieces) how would that spare chain and link help me. I am not carrying my chain tool with me. Maybe I should?

What are you guys doing? Are you carrying the chain tool with you? Maybe just a file and spare clip style master link? Any experiences with this sort of thing?

Jordan
I've never had a riveted chain fail, and don't know anyone who has either. When I went to Alaska in '08 I started with a new chain/sprocket set and then didn't give it another thought.

·
Registered
21 Posts
We are headed out Monday May 31st. I have started a blog and plan on posting from the rode with the netbook. www.2texans2alaska.blogspot.com it has our route and some planning on it. We are estimating about 35 days or so. When is your departure?
Hey I'm looking through your blog and see your route. I was thinking my optimal departure date would be 2nd or 3rd week of June. May 31 will be difficult to swing, probably 20% likelihood for me. Bummer, cause I'm going, and I would really prefer not to do it alone.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Jordan, PM replied (twice). Hope to see you on your journey.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
That is a really nice route. The area around Jasper is great. The worst things are the RV's IMO. I would not worry too much the bikes are solid and I would start with a new chain and sprocket and call it good. Just have check in points and even in the worst of times sooner or later someone comes along with a pickup it seems. The items I always have are brake, clutch handles, spare rear brake pedal and shifter. Duct tape and JB Weld are musts in my kit.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,520 Posts
I always carry at least one "clip style" master link in my tool kit. It works.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts