StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 16k on my 14 strom. Chain still looks good, but I'm ready to head out for 5 or 6k. Any ideas on chains? Experiences good or bad. Where to buy? I was thinking DID or RK. Prolly X ring or something similar. Like to go with gold chains upon replacement.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have been using a Super Links chain from Vstroma.com and its done 45,000km without any noticeable signs of wear and looks good for another 10,000km at least.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That is not true. If you replace your chain before it gets too bad, your sprockets will be fine. I have put over 60k on sprockets before. Just saying

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
13,099 Posts
You should always replace chains and sprockets together, just saying.
Why?

Also, so I can understand where you are coming from how long do your chains and sprockets last?

..Tom

·
Registered
168 Posts
I'll get in the mid 20,000 miles from a set. The recommendation comes from Increased wear on the new Item, IE, a new chain will wear quicker on old, worn sprockets. Likewise New sprockets would also not see optimal life with an old chain.

·
Super Moderator
13,099 Posts
I'll get in the mid 20,000 miles from a set. The recommendation comes from Increased wear on the new Item, IE, a new chain will wear quicker on old, worn sprockets. Likewise New sprockets would also not see optimal life with an old chain.
Feel free to do a search on the merits of replacing chain and sprockets as a set. I don't care what others do, just my two cents. Hope i haven't offended.
Nope no offense. Just wondered if you had actual facts to go on or if you were just repeating what you read.

On my DL650's, once I stopped wasting effort "cleaning" the chain and instead lubed with every tank of gas and after every ride in the rain, I got between 40,000 and 50,000 miles on a chain. I discovered that the front sprockets would wear sooner and I needed to change them between 35,000 and 40,000 miles. The chains happily went on with a new front sprocket with no issues whatsoever.

I can't speak confidently about my 2015 DL1000 as I am only at 41,000+ KM / 25,000+ miles with original chain and sprockets. But at this point the chain only needed the slightest of adjustment with the first replacement rear tire (it had never been adjusted since new) and the front sprocket is showing it's first hint of wear. I will most likely change the front sprocket in the next 5,000 miles since I have a trip coming mid July.

..Tom

·
Registered
304 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,926 Posts
Lots of opinions on chains and sprockets but I replaced my cs sprocket at 36k and still have the original rear sprocket and chain at 45k. If I would have replace the chain and rear at 36k I would have missed ouy on 9k + miles on the chain and rear. I think I'm heading for a record but when the chain finally gives up the ghost I will replace all three.

·
Super Moderator
13,099 Posts
Tom,
You rode 25,000+ miles on the stock rear tire?
No... my current rear is the second replacement tire, the third rear tire the bike has had.

I did the stock tires at 15,680 km or about 10,000 miles. The rear probably had a couple of thousand km's left on it and the front had much more life. My wife had bought me a new GPS that had Tire Pressure monitoring and since I wanted to have the sensors installed (basically replacing the valve stems) I figured I might as well put on new tires while I was there. I replaced the second rear tire (regular Tourance) earlier than needed (at 30,500 km total bike mileage with about 15,000km / 9,200 miles also as I was heading on a road trip and I didn't want to worry about changing tire on the road. It is going to happen again shortly for the current rear as I will be on another road trip in about three weeks and I don't think the tire will last until the end of the trip. :(

..Tom

1 - 20 of 35 Posts