StromTrooper banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, new member here. After years of riding shaft driven motorcycles it looks like I'm back in the chain drive business again. I know many things have changed with chain technology since my last chain driven bike which brings me to my question. I recently purchased a used 2017 650 with 4K miles. The bike was in another state 500 miles from home. After the intial inspection and completing the paperwork I was anxious to begin my trip home. The PO assured me he had taken care of all maintenance issues in preparation for my trip so off I went. After I got home and had some time to go over the bike in detail I discovered the chain was totally dry, no indication it had ever been lubed. I could grab it with my bare hand and not get dirty. So, after 4500 miles of this abuse is the chain still good? I lubed it and set the slack and it looks ok but I have no idea whats going on inside. Thanks for your advice

·
Registered
690 Posts
No worries, it's an o-ring chain, they are internally lubricated. 99% of the friction is internal. Go ahead an oil the outside forl rust and additional protection and don't worry about it.

https://youtu.be/VnPYdcbcAe0

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
956 Posts
Lengthy info on chain maintenance here......new chains are internally lubed but there are friction points on the sprockets.

SO, I just spray clean my chain and sprockets off every couple of thousand with DuPont Chain degreaser, a chain brush, then wipe with part of an old towel and then spray with DuPont Teflon Chain saver. The Chain saver gets sprayed on the bottom inner part of the chain every 500 miles. But I am kinda anal LOL !!

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Your 500 mile trip home is probably what caused the chain to become dry. Recommended lubrication interval varies with everyone's personal opinion, but the book says 600km, so slightly less than 400 miles. (I do it every few days, without checking mileage, or on a long trip at the end of each days ride. ) You can use any brand chain lube, they all work, or simply rub down with an oily rag. Just be sure to avoid stiff brushes as they can damage the o rings.

·
Registered
898 Posts
To check the chain wear try pulling the chain to the rear of the rear sprocket. If it moves very far then it is worn.

there is a ton of posts here on chain lubing. I apply a little ATF with a dauber bottle to keep the O rings flexible which keeps the good lube inside the chain from leaking out. ATF is good for O rings and the chain rollers.

Cheers

RLBranson

·
Registered
282 Posts
Like Marcham said don't worry, be happy ;)
no need to lube the chain unless wet and it's parked for few days not to get some rust,
but on Gold chain I don't even get rust when wet anyway.

·
Administrator
13,816 Posts
If chain life is a concern you might want to ask people that give you advice on chains how long their chains are lasting.

I never clean my chains but lube them with ever stop for gas and after every ride it the rain. This takes 10 to 20 seconds total time with a centerstand.

I have worked up to it over the years and my chains are now begin replaced some time beyond 50,000 miles/ 80,000 km. I use Wurth HHS2000 (which I believe is called HHS-K in the USA.)

..Tom

·
Registered
117 Posts
O-ring/X-ring chains do need to be lubed. There are 3 areas of metal to metal contact with motion between the metal surfaces. One is lubricated permanently and sealed by the o-x ring at assembly. The other 2 need to be periodically lubed. For more detail see the picture on chain construction at Yamaha Genuine Chain and Sprockets

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Since nobody did comment on chain slack, a loose chain is a happy chain. Don't tighten the slack too much. It is likely causing more wear and can potentially damage the counter sprocket bearing, if too tight.

I adjust when I feel that the driveline slack has gotten a bit much.

And Welcome to the forum. You started with a loaded question. Lets hope this will not again become a 100 post thread about the pros and cons of the many lube - clean - do nothing … combinations of maintenance or abuse of our chains. >:)

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
My Experience W/ Chains and Lube:

- I lube my chain AFT every other fuel fill up or immediately after riding in the rain.
- I NEVER use solvents a or a brush to 'clean' my chain.
- I use a shop rag to apply the ATF lube which 'cleans' the chain at the same time.

My last chain on my ZRX1200 was going strong at 35,000 miles when I sold the bike in June of this year.

Attachments

·
Registered
282 Posts
fyi if you'r riding on road only whether you lube or not doesn't matter much except for you wallet
but when you ride off-road or dirt, gravel roads lubing shorten your chain life. Simple physics.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
fyi if you'r riding on road only whether you lube or not doesn't matter much except for you wallet.....
We'll just have to agree to disagree. Lubing your chain is necessary no matter where you ride. :smile2:

·
Registered
84 Posts
I agree with Big Boy on lube but...wars have been started because of the topic.

I have used 90w gear lube, and a host of fancy stuff just for chains over my 40 years of riding...Hell, you could use peanut butter as long as you kept it clean and changed. A lube (albeit dino or syn) just holds up better on a chain.

OP...your chain is fine. Congrats on the bike, I live my 09.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the advice guys, I didn't mean to get a thing going on my first post just want to know if my chain was ok. Sounds like it will be fine so now I can just enjoy the ride. I had no idea a 650 could be this much fun, only had it a week but loving it.

·
Administrator
13,816 Posts
fyi if you'r riding on road only whether you lube or not doesn't matter much except for you wallet
How long do your chains last?

..Tom

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
If I didn't have a Tutoro oiler (which I am not entirely sold on) I'd follow V-tom's regimen and buy some of that Wurth stuff.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Likewise, moved from a larger shaft drive bike to DL650.
Going for longer and longer rides, didn't know a 650 could be such fun and
doesn't feel like small bike.
Cruises steady at such a wide variety of speeds.
Just need to get it dialed in for comfort.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts