StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have just bought a Tutoro Automatic Oiler. I cant find a suitable place to fix the oiler to the bike on 2012 DL1000. I am wondering if the PDoiler is easy to fit. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
468 Posts

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I mounted mine to my pannier racks. Others mounts theirs in near the left side passenger foot peg.

·
Registered
368 Posts
If you check out the thread posted by Strongarm you can see where I mounted mine, I know the 2014 thou is a bit different but it might give you an idea of what I did.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
My reservoir:

My delivery tip:

I used a <gasp!> Scottoiler bracket to secure the tip where I wanted it after losing the oringinal tip thanks to the large cut-outs in that rear sprocket. Tutoro have their own bracket now.

If you ride a LOT off road, or pretty much all dirt roads, you might be better off with an "enduro style" mount, where the oil delivery is directly onto the chain just behind the front sprocket. It's messier but prevents rocks, sticks etc from grabbing the tip and line, and a little oil on the back tyre makes no difference on the dirt.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you.

Thank you for your replies. My pannier frame is different on the 1000 and tucks up under the back guard. I found one for another 650 but where it is mounted my helmet lock is in that spot. If I put it between the passenger left peg I feel it will stick out too far.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got the information needed.

I have been contacted by a member and if I move the helmet lock the oiler can be attach to the metal plate it was on. Thanks

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Um,"0" ring chains-I tend to whack the steed on the centre stand and give the chain and Sprockets a spray every ---------when they need it,definitely take the cover off and check the primary drive and clean the gunk out and a spray-constant oilers are like lollies at eye level for 3 year olds at the supermarket,you wan't them but don't need them.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
If you don't see the point, that's fine. Don't buy one. There's an entire industry filling aerosol cans with varieties of goop for you to put on your chain. Some of us do see something you obviously don't.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Beastly: This will probably be the best purchase you'll do for your bike.

I use a different brand but it uses a very similar twin nozzle on sprocket device.

I bought the bike new and immediately installed it. I've done almost 28000k on it with 30% or so dirt. The chain has only needed adjusting 4 times and as you can see from the photo it really hasn't gone past the first mark. At this rate I'm hoping for at least 100,000k from a sprocket and chain set.

Money well invested imho...

Fester 24.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
If you don't see the point, that's fine. Don't buy one. There's an entire industry filling aerosol cans with varieties of goop for you to put on your chain. Some of us do see something you obviously don't.
So what is the "goop" you place in the chain oiler that appeases the cheese cloth wearing green brigade--surely not a product from the petro chemical industry egad--just make sure it is adjusted well so I don't down on your residue.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
So what is the "goop" you place in the chain oiler that appeases the cheese cloth wearing green brigade--surely not a product from the petro chemical industry egad--just make sure it is adjusted well so I don't down on your residue.
Mine is adjusted to leave as little mess as I can. Even if it was spitting oil it would still leave less residue than many cars, trucks, and buses, many thousands of which leave oil and fuel residue on the road daily. If the 100mL I go through over several thousand kilometres is enough to make you fear for your safety you need to grow a pair.

I made no claims regarding this being the preferred choice of leaf-licking tree-huggers, that's your own invention.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
My apologies DA,it is just that auto oilers have been seriously belted on this this site for a long time and I have never been a fan albeit each to their own.My regards.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Beastly: This will probably be the best purchase you'll do for your bike.

I use a different brand but it uses a very similar twin nozzle on sprocket device.

I bought the bike new and immediately installed it. I've done almost 28000k on it with 30% or so dirt. The chain has only needed adjusting 4 times and as you can see from the photo it really hasn't gone past the first mark. At this rate I'm hoping for at least 100,000k from a sprocket and chain set.

Money well invested imho...

Fester 24.

Fes,I have found a chain adjust is around a quarter turn on the keys which does not really amount to any movement on the marks you have suggested,100,000k is very prospective,if you are adjusting the chain often it is stretched and requires replacement,sprockets are cheap,don't do a nice new chain without nice new sprockets.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Four adjustments in near 30,000ks isn't what I'd consider "often". Better to check and see if the chain can be pulled out from the rear sprocket or has any kinks. Both of those indicate new-chain-and-sprockets-time. Of course if the chain is going slack within a 1-2 thousand ks, that's an issue and the hardened case is probably worn off the pins. Also new-chain-and-sprockets-time.

To offer a fair counterpoint, chain oilers are NOT an excuse to ignore that part of the bike and themselves require a degree of attention. Hoses can crack, delivery tips can get damaged and wear, anything can get hit by a rock or stick. I still clean my chain from time to time, for example, though I don't need anything more than an oiled rag instead kero, and WD40 is more than strong enough to clean out anything that builds up inside the front sprocket cover, which does still happen albeit slower and the stuff is much easier to remove.

I like my chain oiler, but I think I'm realistic about it as well. For the truly infrequent rider I don't think there's much benefit in using one.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update: I gave up on the Tutoro Automatic Oiler and sold it on Gumtree. I installed the PD Oiler and it works great. Easy to fit and it keeps the chain lightly oiled. I also have fitted new braided brake lines: WEZMOTO brand and I have noticed an improvement in the rear brake. I changed the brake fluid as well so that could have help as well.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Chain oilers are brilliant. Been using them for more a very long time and over 500,000km combined dirt and road.
I love the Tutoro, my personal favorite.
My chains last forever and get a wipe down only when dirt is involved.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts