StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oh knowledgeable forum members…… I come to you with another question. Recently I started hearing a clunking sound on my DL650K4 coming from the lower engine area and what I think is probably the chain. It’s most notable when driving in 1st gear in the 3-4k rpm range and is a distinctive clunk at what I estimate to be 1 revolution on the chain. I started last week and I immediately inspected and tightened the chain (it was actually quite loose) and adjusted the clutch. The noise went away but the next day on my way home I notice the clunking sound again. I again inspected the chain and it seemed loose again. I gave it a thorough cleaning and inspection, retightened it and had no problems for 500 miles. The noise has again appeared but everything with the chain appears normal. My only thought is that for some reason the chain and front sprocket are matching up squarely and causing the chain to pop on the sprocket. The rear wheel is strait (per the alignment marks on the swing arm).

The chain has nearly 14k on it so I’m sure it’s nearing the end of its life anyway. I’m planning on replacing the chain and both sprockets but is there anything non chain related that comes to mind?

Does anyone recommend any aftermarket chains that cost less than or equal to the OEM chain? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks again.

K

·
0 Posts
Get the rear wheel off the gound and rotate the wheel by hand you should be able to see and hear the chain bind and pop. Look for a rust colored powder as well, it is a sure sign the end is near.

·
Premium Member
1,187 Posts
My chain has over 20,000 miles and appears to be going strong still 8)

Vne said:
Oh knowledgeable forum members……

The chain has nearly 14k on it so I’m sure it’s nearing the end of its life anyway. I’m planning on replacing the chain and both sprockets but is there anything non chain related that comes to mind?

Does anyone recommend any aftermarket chains that cost less than or equal to the OEM chain? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks again.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I had lots of strange clunks when stopping and starting, and extra noises on the road - they all went away with a new (DID 525VM x-ring) and JT sprockets. (24,000 miles on the original) I never compared the price to OEM - I just went for a known, high quality chain. It measures out at about 10% thicker links. The sprockets were not obviously worn - just little bigger "valleys" on the front with a tiny amount of shark fin - very slight. The extra noises sneak up on you over the miles but the change to silence is very noticeable after all the new stuff goes on.

If the front sprocket isn't lining up with the chain you have something going wrong on the swingarm - I doubt if you have such a problem, but some people have had to do swing arm repairs.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After some more troubleshooting tonight it appears that the noise is actually coming from the rear sprocket. Should there be any play in the sprocket? I’m able to wiggle the sprocket back and fourth just a bit but I’m not sure if this is normal or not. I would think that any play would be bad. Looking at the maintenance manual it would seem that the play is in the sprocket mounting drum bearing. Now I’m really planning on replacing the chain and sprockets but am now trying to figure out if I should replace the bearing also (it’s $22 I don’t want to spend unless I have to). Does anyone else notice a bit of play in the rear sprocket?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Otherforums have discussed this in length. I do not fully understand the issue so I will not confuse you by trying.

Here is the link, but it might do you little good as the part need to "really" fix the problem are unavailable. At least you will know.
http://11109.rapidforum.com/topic=101176542802&search=&startid=1

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After comparing my new sprocket to the old one it was quite obvious that my sprockets were worn down considerably. All associated noises have disappeared with the new chain and sprocket set. There is still some slight lateral play left in the rear sprocket but after checking out a new ’06 on the dealer floor this apparently “normal”. I do have to say that anyone attempting to change the front sprocket, without the help of a friend, should consider using an impact wrench to remove the sprocket nut. Only after a lot of swearing, figuring out how to stop the rear wheel from pulling through the breaks and turning the engine over, and balancing the bike while using a 3 foot cheater bar was I able to break the torque on that damn frond sprocket nut. Over all the whole job only took an hour and 40 minutes of that was used trying to get that nut off.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts