StromTrooper banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Preface : I just came back from a ~2900 mile trip, where for 1400 miles or so I was running on a -very- tight chain set by the dummies at the local shop and stupidly not checked by me before leaving.

Anyways - my chain is making some very odd half squeak/half scraping sound. I first started noticing it at low speeds as I start significant acceleration, but I can get it to happen eaily with the bike on the centerstand and slowly turning the rear wheel by hand.

I narrowed the sound down to a definite source : where the center of the chain rides on the raised little rubber ridge on the chain guide of the swingarm. The rollers of the chain spin a bit as they move over this ridge. It sounds every bit like poorly lubricated ball bearings in say, a set of rollerblade wheels.

The sound goes away temporarily (100-200) miles with a shot of lube on the chain.

So I'm wondering - is it possible the o-rings are shot and the chain is on it's way out? Maybe brought on by the excessive tightness during a large trip?

Thanks for any advice!

·
Registered
178 Posts
It's the rollers failing, o-rings may or may not be okay, on a tight chain there isn't too many places for it to stretch other than the rollers. I'd also be sure to check that the counter sprocket seal isn't toast or the c/s shaft isn't bent. A new chain should be installed.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will do. Conveniently, this trip rolled me right up to the 7k maintenance checkup mark, so I'll be sure to inform the service guys.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts