Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Best chain lube

Sent from my LGUS997 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
648 Posts
there are about as many opinions on this as there are riders. I use atf applied by a dauber bottle. I sell the bottles in for sale. I have had several used bikes that had kinky chains when I got them. I applied ATF and the chain became more flexible. ATF is great for O rings and O ring chains. that is auto trans fluid if someone doesn't know. you don't need a lot, just a shiny spot on the inside of the lower run of the chain. to much does more harm than good. You can also use 1 dauber bottle to apply kerosene or mild solvent to the chain to clean dirty old oil off, then wipe with a rag or paper towel.

Be nice to your chain and it will last a lot longer and not need adjusted as often.

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
If you can define what "best" means to you then a chain lube can be chosen.

For me the lube is not as important as how and how often it is applied. For me the "best" setup is ATF dispensed through a Scott Oiler. It continually oils and clean the chain whenever the bike is running.

Some folks do not see the up front $130 investment as the "best" bang for their buck so they choose something else.

I will tell you that yes the $130 investment is a tough pill to swallow but in the end it is money well spent and will save you money because the chain and sprockets will last at least double the mileage of what they do with traditional periodic topical applications of lubricant. Its a case of pay now or pay later but either way you'll pay.

·
Premium Member
2,720 Posts
Went from BelRay Super Clean to Amsoil. So far it seems much better, but time will tell. 22K on my 18 1000 and have yet to need adjustment. Runs quieter also. Very small amount of fling

Reactions: eff

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just installed Tapatalk and I was looking for a certain chain lube and didn't realize I started a thread moderators go ahead and delete it I got what I want

Sent from my LGUS997 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
Not sure there is a definitive but right now I'm using Motul chain paste which I apply from a tube it comes in, and every couple weeks I spray the chain with WD40 and wipe the chain with a shop rag after a few minutes of it soaking in...Chain paste seems great and really spreads itself out well, tiny bit works fine every 500 miles or so. Obviously time will tell, I have a centerstand I put on which makes it all super easy regardless of lube type but I generally don't like sprays

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
For me the lube is not as important as how and how often it is applied. For me the "best" setup is ATF dispensed through a Scott Oiler. It continually oils and clean the chain whenever the bike is running.
Perazzi, is ATF affected by temperature as most of the chain oils or motor oils are? I like the idea of an oiler but don't want to have to futz with it as temperatures change.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Atf is not affected by temperatures. if it was affected by temperature your auto trans would not work very well now would it? beside being good for O rings and neoprene parts, ATF has consistent viscosity and high film strength. just what you need for an auto trans or an Oring chain. however you put atf on your chain it is better than the spray stuff you put all over the place

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
"Original Bike Spirits Chain Lube" is what I was searching for, when I accidentally started this thread, now to find it.
Farm and Fleet used to sell it.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Here's what I prefer. Use the spray on a cloth then apply to chain.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,413 Posts
a lot of fine powder/dust on some dirt roads here. drive through and the stuff just rises in the air. I don't want to use anything sticky/oily if I can help it. I'm using dupont teflon currently. other than protect the o rings and anti rust I don't think lubing the chain does much more.

·
Premium Member
2,025 Posts
I was researching chains for my daughter and SIL's KLR and found some interesting things regarding chain life and lubing/cleaning.
General consensus, from people who would certainly know more than me, is that cleaning any X or O ring chain, with any kind of solvent, will shorten the life of the chain. If you must clean it, damp rag and mild soap. As for lubing the X and O type chains, it seems that there is no difference in the life of the chain when used on the same bike, by the same riders, on the same roads whether they are lubed or not. When you stop and think about it, this makes some sense. The X and O ring chains have the lubricant sealed in so all you are not getting lube into the rollers when you apply lube externally. There is school of thought that the lube can attract road grit and actually lead to decreased chain life.

intuitively, you think that they should be clean and lubed but maybe we are just treating our preconceived notions?!

Caveat.....this applies only to sealed chains. Unsealed chains are a whole other matter.

BTW - discussion about chain lubing and cleaning is akin to those relating to tire and oil.

·
Administrator
13,560 Posts
My chains are lasting over 50,000 miles (80,000 km). Never ever ever "cleaned' but lubed with every tank of gas and after every ride in the rain. (Takes less than 20 seconds on the understand.

I. Use Wurth HHS 2000 (Called HHS k in the USA.)

..Tom

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
"Original Bike Spirits Chain Lube" is what I was searching for, when I accidentally started this thread, now to find it.
Farm and Fleet used to sell it.
This is what I started using for my '18 650. So far, so good.

Steve.

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
ATF and a home made manual chain oiler. (Small petrol engine primer bulb + tubing etc)

The oiler is important for me as it means that the chain never gets to run dry.

And as for wear, there's still grinding wear on the sprockets and rust on the chain. The sprockets wear and the chain will stretch to match, and rust on the chain will significantly shorten it's life.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
a lot of fine powder/dust on some dirt roads here. drive through and the stuff just rises in the air. I don't want to use anything sticky/oily if I can help it. I'm using dupont teflon currently. other than protect the o rings and anti rust I don't think lubing the chain does much more.
One of the 'fly boys' I know swears by ACF-50 (Anti Corrosion Factor 50).

Attachments

Reactions: chicago
1 - 20 of 67 Posts