StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I adjusted the chain yesterday as there was too much slack, and boy what a difference it made.

I want to clean the chain before I head out on my trip in a few weeks. Any recommendations on the best lube out there? I have a guy I've been learning some stuff from, but he's also the kind of guy where everything he buys/does is "the best." So I tend to take him with a grain of salt. I don't need everything in my life to be a competition.

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
I adjusted the chain yesterday as there was too much slack, and boy what a difference it made.

I want to clean the chain before I head out on my trip in a few weeks. Any recommendations on the best lube out there? I have a guy I've been learning some stuff from, but he's also the kind of guy where everything he buys/does is "the best." So I tend to take him with a grain of salt. I don't need everything in my life to be a competition.
Asking about chain lube is about like asking which oil to use... you'll get lots of different opinions from everyone, and reasons why their answer is right. If I were you, I'd search a little on this forum and come to your own conclusion based on what you find. You'll find everything from used motor or tranny oil to WD-40 to all the popular brands of chain lube. Oh, and those that do nothing.

I think the most important things are 1) don't clean excessively or too often or with harsh solvents, 2) don't use a stiff brush (or any brush except maybe a tooth brush) when you do clean it, and 3) keep it lubed (I lubed every tank, many lube every other tank and after riding in rain).

Personally I think most lubes are "fine" - but that it's a matter of personal preference on how it goes on, how sticky or messy it is, how much riding off road you do, the cost, etc.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know the lube discussion seems to ignite a war. This is my first bike and I'm in information gathering mode; building out tools, getting best practices down, etc.

I've found the search bar to be difficult to find what I need sometimes. I suppose I need to just keep at it.

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
I know the lube discussion seems to ignite a war. This is my first bike and I'm in information gathering mode; building out tools, getting best practices down, etc.

I've found the search bar to be difficult to find what I need sometimes. I suppose I need to just keep at it.
Searching in Google is easier than within forums. Just put something like this into Google: site:stromtrooper.com chain lube

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Webbikeworld.com has good reviews on chain lube. Ask at your favorite shop for the lube that doesn't make a big mess. Little or no cleaning is needed. Just a wipe with a dry rag or lightly moistened with any handy solvent so OK. (Dampening the rag with paint thinner or anything else is OK, submerging the chain in a strong solvent is not OK.)

You adjusted it for the correct slackness, right? A bit too loose is better than too tight. With the bike on the side stand, center of the lower run of the chain, lift & lower lightly with one finger. An inch of lift is good. 1-1/8" is better.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I've been using gear oil, only because i have tons of it in my shed from left over projects. 9400 miles now and the chain and sprockets look really nice. Thought I'd see more wear by now, but I lube at least once a week and at least every tank of gas, so fairly often.

The big downside to this is this stuff is so messy! There really is no way I can figure out to apply enought of it and not have it sling everywhere. Do I recomment it? Maybe as a last resort... but overall, no... I just had a ton of it to get rid of so felt like I had to use it up.

Can't wait till I run out and can switch to a motul or chain wax. It'll cost money, but should be much cleaner. :yesnod:

·
Registered
107 Posts
O-ring chain lube... DuPont's version is like 4 bucks at Walmart.

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
I am using gear oil and bar oil 50/50. I am having a better experience with this than any spray I've used and it is way less messy. Almost no fling. The trick is the application; I pour a few drops on a little envelope sealing sponge and run the chain past it. It's easy to see when the chain is wet enough. No over spray and little to no fling. Takes me about a minute. The chain stays cleaner and cleans easier. I'll only use sprays now on overnight trips.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I don't have a schedule for chain lubing. Basically just when I remember and am able to do it. At home I don't clean the chain. Just spray on some liquid wrench chain lube (it's better than nothing, I guess). If I'm at work and feel like taking the time I'll put the bike on the paddock stand (Center-stand is on my wish list) and use silicone spray and a toothbrush to clean the chain. Then whatever gear oil I might have laying around. I wipe of the excess with a rag and I'm good.

The gear lube seems to fling a lot and both methods make a mess wherever I'm working. Biggest thing about the gear lube fling is that it gets on the rear tire, which makes me a wee bit paranoid about aggressive left turns.

Basically, I think, anything is better than nothing and nothing really isn't that bad either. As long as you're not in excessively dusty/wet conditions I think an unmaintained chain still lasts quite awhile.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Remember that the o-rings are holding IN the important lube and keep it there... cleaning with any non-abrasive/corrosive cleaner and a very soft brush/rag is good ( I use a 1.5" wide paint brush) ... you are really only providing a marginal amount of lube to the sprocket tooth faces/ chain rollers and protecting the faces of the links from rusting... lots of good lubes in spray cans, home mixes, really depends on what you like..avoid anything that claims to be a "penetrating oil"... they tend to be hell on the o-rings... but what is important is to lube your chain while it's hot so the lube flows everywhere...best time is after a good ride when it can soak/spread/creep/drip overnight :)

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
I've been using gear oil, only because i have tons of it in my shed from left over projects. 9400 miles now and the chain and sprockets look really nice. Thought I'd see more wear by now, but I lube at least once a week and at least every tank of gas, so fairly often...
If you continue this practice you might run-up many miles on that chain. I'm doing about the same as you (was using gear oil, now used motor oil - someone on this forum told me they're ~ the same viscosity), my Wee (w/ original chain) is at nearly 25K miles, and the chain seems fine. I "adjust" only at tire change time, which is coming up fairly soon - will be about 9K miles this time between chain adjustments.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
All really good tips.

This has given me a lot to think about.

Thanks, everyone.

·
Administrator
13,816 Posts
When you ask people for chain advise you might want to ask them how long their chains last as well.

I never waste time cleaning my chain. I lube with every tank of gas and after every ride in the rain.. My chains last over 40,000 miles and I fully expect to be able to get 50,000 miles out of a chain. I don't know that the lube is the most important but I use Wurth HHS2000, called HHS2K in some place.

..Tom

·
Registered
49 Posts
hmmm... so many choices. I've just bought an 02 Vee and my biggest concern is carrying a spray can with me on the longer trips since it takes up so much space. I do however believe in regular maintenance and I hate cleaning tire rims so that narrows down the choice to non fling stuff in spray cans.

·
Premium Member
965 Posts
When you ask people for chain advise you might want to ask them how long their chains last as well.

I never waste time cleaning my chain. I lube with every tank of gas and after every ride in the rain.. My chains last over 40,000 miles and I fully expect to be able to get 50,000 miles out of a chain. I don't know that the lube is the most important but I use Wurth HHS2000, called HHS2K in some place.

..Tom
Incredible chain life! No arguing with success.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
hmmm... so many choices. I've just bought an 02 Vee and my biggest concern is carrying a spray can with me on the longer trips since it takes up so much space. I do however believe in regular maintenance and I hate cleaning tire rims so that narrows down the choice to non fling stuff in spray cans.
I found a lube that might be good for travel. Well, if DuPont hadn't changed their formula, the squeeze bottle of multi-use lube would be good. Actually, I think they may have their chain lube in a squeeze bottle, too.

What I found was Motul Chain Paste. It's in a tube that you squeeze the lube out of, with a brush on the end. Jury's still out on how good it is.

One thing I've noticed recently is that when the chain (stock chain on my '13 Fazer 8) is getting dry, the o-rings squeak. I mean, turning the wheel with the bike on a stand, or rolling it around the garage, I can hear a little squeak as each link bends on to and off of the sprocket. No, the chain's not toast - it only had 3,500 km or so on it, and has been well maintained.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts