StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 dl 1000 and a 2012 dl 650 adventure what is the best chain lube that will not fly off and get the rear rims messy and get all over my two brothers cans? I have used the spray on white lithium grease and the white graphite grease chain lubes.What is the best chain lube for me.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,049 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Is liquid wrench a good chain lube?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,049 Posts
From More Motorcycle Chain Lubes Reviewed - webBikeWorld

Our Opinion
Liquid Wrench Chain Lube was suggested by webBikeWorld readers. It is one of the few readily-available, retail sprays that actually does state that it's O-ring safe. However, it sprays on as an oily liquid and doesn't dry, so it leaves the chain "wet", prone to collecting dust and dirt.
Conclusion
We think the Liquid Wrench Chain Lube spray is better suited for use as a general shop lubricant rather than for a motorcycle chain.

Read the Web Bike World review link already posted.

·
Registered
767 Posts
I like both PJ1 Blue, and Bel-Ray Super Clean Chain Lube. Prefer the Bel-Ray, though. Sprays on much waxier than others I've used -- hardly any drip at all. Gives the chain a somewhat whitish, almost paraffin look, but this stuff stays put! Says O, X, Z ring safe right on the can.
Oh... and the typical road crap doesn't seem to stick to it at all...

·
Banned
1,584 Posts
Candidates

Personally,

I can't rule out all of the following choices as economical alternatives, but I also believe you need to used Kerosene from time to time prior to applying these:

RE: Liquid Wrench Dry Lube
Webbikeworld review:
Good stuff actually, with some potential. It seems to work just like the old version of DuPont Dry Wax lube. We have contacted the manufacturer to see if the product is O-ring safe and we're giving this a longer-term evaluation as a motorcycle chain lube.”

From "B.W." (September 2012): "Based on your review, I went to Liquid Wrench’s website to get more info on the Liquid Wrench Dry Lube. (My stock of the original DuPont Dry Wax lube is running low!) It linked to the attached 2008 data sheet (.pdf) for Solder Seal/Gunk Dry Lube with Cerflon aerosol, which I’m assuming is the original name for the product.
The data sheet is helpful for two reasons: 1) the formula contains Teflon and sure sounds like the DuPont lube; and 2) it specifically states it’s safe for rubber – which should mean it’s o-ring safe. Looking forward to your long-term test report!"

DuPont(R) Teflon(TM) Chain-Saver Lubricant, Net Wt 11 oz.

DuPont Silicone Bike Lubricant Aerosol

DuPont Motorcycle Chain Lubes

·
Registered
281 Posts
I like both PJ1 Blue, and Bel-Ray Super Clean Chain Lube. Prefer the Bel-Ray, though. Sprays on much waxier than others I've used -- hardly any drip at all. Gives the chain a somewhat whitish, almost paraffin look, but this stuff stays put! Says O, X, Z ring safe right on the can.
Oh... and the typical road crap doesn't seem to stick to it at all...
Ditto here, love the stuff. Belray Superclean, goes on easy and stays clean!
I know, sounds like a corney 50's commercial....lol

·
Super Moderator
13,057 Posts
I use Wurth HHS 2000 (called HHS 2K in some markets). I apply it with every tank of gas and after every ride in the rain. I used to apply it with the bike on the centrist and and engine running, but now have engine off and apply it closer to the front sprocket. (The HHS 2000 is messy but spraying it up front cuts down a bit on the mess.)

I net waste time cleaning the chain and my chains last around 45,000+ miles.

..Tom

·
Registered
92 Posts
Belray if you don't mind the white....but it matches my bike now!

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
original Liquid Wrench is a penetrating oil that is unsuited for chain lube. Their chain lube product is different and may be OK.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Maxima chain wax:thumbup:, never lets me down. :green_lol:
Though don't really know what letting me down would be:green_lol:

·
Super Moderator
16,866 Posts
Original Bike Spirits lube......and I have tried them all.

·
Registered
175 Posts
dupont teflon chain saver
Yea, this stuff is the replacement for the Dupont stuff that people were getting 45,000 miles out of their chains. It's clean and not sticky messy so I'm using it. We'll see how many miles the chain actually goes.

You can get it at Wally World if they have a bike section.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Yea, this stuff is the replacement for the Dupont stuff that people were getting 45,000 miles out of their chains. It's clean and not sticky messy so I'm using it. We'll see how many miles the chain actually goes.

You can get it at Wally World if they have a bike section.
Yes, I also bought this based on the extremely positive reviews I found for it:

Amazon.com: DuPont(R) Teflon(TM) Chain-Saver Lubricant, Net Wt 11 oz. (CS0110101): Automotive

I haven't used it yet as I havent picked up my bike yet, but the reviews are excellent.

I assume since its being recommended here that its safe to use on oring sealed chains. (just double checked the product info and it indeed says its safe on oring chains)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts