StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Link in chain making clicking noises when going around the big sprocket. I have applied extra lube and the sound is gone... but should I worry? if needed, can I replace just the link, or must it be the complete chain?

·
Registered
432 Posts
If you have the tools it is possible to change one link on a chain. Grind, press out pins, install new masterlink in place of it. The fresh grease and O rings might help. But really, if the chain is starting to kink it is time to start looking at a new chain and sprockets. You can make it last a while more but keep an eye on it. Could have been a spot that had dry O rings. How many km on chain Max?

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not too sure on the km as i have tge bike since may. Total km on bike 69000. The rest of the chain looks great... but i think i will chane chain and sprockets. Want to change sizes too...read about that in another thread.

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35 Posts
Agreed. A clicking link means other links may also soon become clicky. Also, the work involved in replacing a single link is probably more work than replacing the entire chain. All the same tools and effort are involved, but when replacing a chain only one link is separated where to replace a single link two pins must be pressed out. Less cursing and potential for problems and busted knuckles involved in installing a new chain.

And as already stated, always replace the chain and both sprockets as a set.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Agreed. A clicking link means other links may also soon become clicky. Also, the work involved in replacing a single link is probably more work than replacing the entire chain. All the same tools and effort are involved, but when replacing a chain only one link is separated where to replace a single link two pins must be pressed out. Less cursing and potential for problems and busted knuckles involved in installing a new chain.

And as already stated, always replace the chain and both sprockets as a set.
And, you will have a known baseline for reference, assuming you don't know the milage of the existing chain or sprockets.

Reactions: dravnx

·
Registered
35 Posts
And, you will have a known baseline for reference, assuming you don't know the milage of the existing chain or sprockets.
Agreed. When I put a fresh setup on my VFR I discovered that the chain, front sprocket and rear sprocket were three different brands. Definitely gave me a good feeling to remove those variables from the what-if equation. "Of course it's been properly maintained..."

·
Registered
913 Posts
100% backing change the entire chain.

For sprockets, I run 16/43 in traffic and off-road, and I change to 17/43 for long highway miles. The front sprocket is easy to change, about 20 minutes at the side of the road, so if I am doing a mixed on/off road trip, I bring both and swap it when necessary. There is a huge difference in range/mileage with the 16 vs. 17 front.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts