StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went back 15 pages and didn't see a thread on chains for the V2.

I want to go with a 530 and both sprockets...but as I search vendors I don't see kits or even 530 chains for the V2.

Any advice?

·
Registered
615 Posts

I want to go with a 530 and both sprockets...but as I search vendors I don't see kits or even 530 chains for the V2.

Any advice?
Let me know when you find something because I'm thinking the same way and can't find anything. Can't understand why Suzuki didn't go 530 from the start :confused:

Reactions: 2mstone

·
Registered
553 Posts

Any advice?
I just ordered a 525 chain from Sprocketcenter a couple weeks ago. I see they offer 530 chains and such but not familiar with what sprockets are needed/used for V2. They called me when I miss-typed my address and they had to confirm it and they seemed knowledgeable.

Good Luck

·
Premium Member
4,196 Posts
SVRacing sells chain and sprocket sets. I have always bought from them and had good success with prompt delivery. My last set was 530 on my 2004. You may be able to find cheaper prices elsewhere, but then your on your own with purchasing.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I think you missed the point of the thread. There should be a "seperate" thread for vendors selling over priced chains and sprockets.

·
Premium Member
4,196 Posts
The OP was asking where to buy 530 chains/sprockets, where does this "separate" idea come into it?

I think the older Vee sprockets and chain fit the V2 no? SVRacing would know.

I think you missed the point of the thread. There should be a "seperate" thread for vendors selling over priced chains and sprockets.

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
530? I know this has probably been hashed out but I've made multiple conversions from a 525 to 520 on midsized bikes going back years without issue. Never heard of going to a larger size.

·
Registered
23 Posts
530? I know this has probably been hashed out but I've made multiple conversions from a 525 to 520 on midsized bikes going back years without issue. Never heard of going to a larger size.
I'm new to chains, but my sense would be that a 520 will improve economy, and performance by way of reduced rotating mass, while a 530 should increase strength and longevity, which would be better for someone who might be about to begin a long excursion and trying to avoid packing a spare.

That's just my impression.

·
Premium Member
4,196 Posts
I think you have it about right, but the advantage for economy is so slight that it is likely immeasurable, but the longevity of the 530 can be great. The larger chain also looks real nice.

I'm new to chains, but my sense would be that a 520 will improve economy, and performance by way of reduced rotating mass, while a 530 should increase strength and longevity, which would be better for someone who might be about to begin a long excursion and trying to avoid packing a spare.

That's just my impression.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I also like the colored chain links, like the gold. Just buy new and matching sprockets and a new heavy duty/ racing X-ring that is oil less and they last a very long time.

Sam:smile2:

·
Registered
23 Posts
I think you have it about right, but the advantage for economy is so slight that it is likely immeasurable, but the longevity of the 530 can be great. The larger chain also looks real nice.
Yeah it would be slight. I saw a test on a dyno of a litre bike with 525vs520 and it yielded 1.4hp. Which is just parasitic losses through the drive line. If one were ecomoding, this would be a first step. But people don't do that on bikes like on cars.

·
Administrator
13,737 Posts

Any advice?

Curious: People are speculating but I wonder why YOU were thinking of a 530 chain?

..Tom

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Curious: People are speculating but I wonder why YOU were thinking of a 530 chain?

..Tom
Reading on this forum that the 530 last longer.
I contacted the Sprocket Center and they seemed to think that that is not the case. He tells me a 525 is fine for the Strom.
Who is right? I wish I knew, but they are the experts so I'll likely go with what the Sprocket Center tells me.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I contacted the Sprocket Center and they seemed to think that that is not the case. He tells me a 525 is fine for the Strom.
Who is right? I wish I knew, but they are the experts so I'll likely go with what the Sprocket Center tells me.
The article I read couldn't really quantify a longevity difference on their bike. Basically saying that care and maintenance is more important than which you chose. Which is what any qualified person would likely tell you.

·
Administrator
13,737 Posts
I honestly don't know but based on messages on Stromtrooper from people that seem to know about that stuff it seems the 525 is more than adequate for the DL1000.

As far as chain life goes goes my experience is that lubing is the main key to longevity, although with only 26,000+KM/16,000 miles on my 2015 DL1000 OEM chain I have no hard data to show how long the 525 chain might last on this bike. (My hope is that it should last the same as my DL650 chains lasted, that is 40,000 miles or more.)

..Tom

·
Administrator
17,389 Posts
No.....they just want to sell you chains and sprockets, and I have my doubts that a 530 chain will yield any significant increase in longevity.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I honestly don't know but based on messages on Stromtrooper from people that seem to know about that stuff it seems the 525 is more than adequate for the DL1000.

As far as chain life goes goes my experience is that lubing is the main key to longevity, although with only 26,000+KM/16,000 miles on my 2015 DL1000 OEM chain I have no hard data to show how long the 525 chain might last on this bike. (My hope is that it should last the same as my DL650 chains lasted, that is 40,000 miles or more.)

..Tom
I have an auto oiler and sadly... I neglect my chains... even so I usually get 30K out of each one. They get wiped off at gas fill-ups (when I remember) and adjusted when they obviously need it.

I hang my head in shame at my shortcomings as a chain custodian.. :crying2:

Ok, not really. I just like riding more than maintaining. :grin2:

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No.....they just want to sell you chains and sprockets, and I have my doubts that a 530 chain will yield any significant increase in longevity.
I probably didn't word my post right. The Sprocket Center echos what you said; the 530 won't increase longevity.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I went with a 530 set up on my 08 V1.If I recall correctly it was about double the cost of a stock set up and didn't give me any more miles- about 30k.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts