StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
last week when my bike was at dealer on lift, I took a peek at my front sprocket and thought to myself, plan on getting new chain & sprockets soon, I was hoping to go another 3k miles to the next service, but once they chain & sprockets start wearing noticable, they wear fast

I just ordered new chain, sprockets, front tire, air filter & clutch lever

will this bike maintenance ever let up

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
almost forgot, most important part of thread,

530 chain & sprockets, chain & rear sprocket have 45k miles, still not noticable wear on rear sprocket but it's getting replaced, chain is kinking, still hasn't stretched to limits, I attribute the premature kinking to my winter riding habits, front sprocket has about 15k miles, I notice wear on front sprocket first, the first front sprocket with this set had 30k when I replaced it

pretty much zero chain maintenance, 1 drip/45 seconds when the scottoiler is working right(sometimes I'm lazy about refilling it) any adjustments were done by dealer when it gets serviced

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Once a chain starts kinking, it's time to replace it. There is metal transferring between pin and bushing which will tear things up in a hurry.

·
Registered
155 Posts
will this bike maintenance ever let up
Only if you park it...:thumbdown:

But you maintain your home, your car, your computer...the bike's needs are pretty small in the big picture. If it was really that bad you would stop riding, and it doesn't seem like that's the case. :thumbup:

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Only if you park it...:thumbdown:

But you maintain your home, your car, your computer...the bike's needs are pretty small in the big picture. If it was really that bad you would stop riding, and it doesn't seem like that's the case. :thumbup:
maybe your bikes needs are small,

this spring, my routine maintneance costs are about triple the normal amount due to salt corrosion

so far, I've bought half of a new bike just for a few miles of crazy man riding in winter storms

·
Registered
78 Posts
Once a chain starts kinking, it's time to replace it. There is metal transferring between pin and bushing which will tear things up in a hurry.
You mean like this? The red rust of chain death.
Just changed out chain and sprockets on the Vee. Seems as though the master link ran out of lube. I did the install using the supplied grease and have had no problems with master links till this one.
Chain /sprockets have 12.500 km on them and the rest of the chain, front and rear sprockets are in good shape yet. Has had a steady diet of Belray super clean chain lube and this is a first for me. Changed over this time to 530 to hopefully gain a little better service life. The bike was put on the road the beginning of Feb. and has seen some pretty wet riding conditions this spring.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Red dust is another sign the chain is toast.

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the stiffness in my chain is different than anything I've seen before, I suspect unique due to my winter riding habits. I don't think that o-rings like the abrasion of salt.

possibly my lazyness, normally in winter, I use a 50/50 mix of kero/atf in my scottoiler, this past winter I used straight atf all winter and rode more in worse conditions than ever before

I'm real happy to get 45k with virtually no maintenance

1 - 9 of 9 Posts