StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious if there are any significant differences between the x-ring chains offered by DID, EK, and the like? Does any particular brand's chain provide any discernable advantage over another? Gotta get one ordered post-haste and the prices vary pretty widely, so I just want to be sure...

Thanks!

·
Registered
230 Posts
The OEM Zuki chain is an EK I believe, and it is available for around $100.

I'm sure that like most competing products, they all closly monitor each other for any major advances and then do similar if they feel there is a marked advantage.

Now, you likely find large variances in quality, materials, and service life as you go away from the OEM or top tier products. As you drop into the unknown world of self branded products (like say, Cycle Gear and it's ORBIT line of chains) you are unsure of the country or company of origin. I'll pick on the ORBIT line since I brought it up. I looked online searching for users talking about the ORBIT line and found that they are NOT a good chain for a long service life. O-Rings tearing apart and falling out and links welding themselves solid seems to be a common theme.

I'm pretty happy with OEM replacements that seem to last as expected. My OEM Zuki chain is being replaced this weekend at over 18K miles, I am going with another OEM zuki unit.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
OEM chain is DID 525 V8 chain, which is not available from aftermarket sources. I haven't heard of one brand being better than the equivalent item in another brands line up.

The DID web page has a pretty good breakdown of their chains with their Super, Premium, and Professional grades in that descending order.
D.I.D Racing Chains and Dirt Star? Rims

EK also has info, EK Motorcycle & ATV Chain . Blair at svracingparts.com has good prices on sprockets and EK chain.

For a Vee, 530 size chain and sprockets offers longer chain life, especially for hard running bikes.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Probably should have mentioned that I am looking at the 530 chains for the replacement. Correct me if I'm wrong, but all I need for that is a 530-series 17-tooth front sprocket from an SV-1000, and the appropriate rear sprocket for a 530 chain as well, right?

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
The more expensive chains I've bought are beefier, thicker side plates, etc. I used to keep a couple of links from the oem around for comparison , but tossed them some time ago.

·
Evolving Curmudgeon
1,119 Posts
Probably should have mentioned that I am looking at the 530 chains for the replacement. Correct me if I'm wrong, but all I need for that is a 530-series 17-tooth front sprocket from an SV-1000, and the appropriate rear sprocket for a 530 chain as well, right?
Why the 530? They are heavier packages then 525's.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Why the 530? They are heavier packages then 525's.
Wider rollers and sprocket teeth spread the load for slower wear. Yes, heavier, but except for racing, not a big deal.

·
Registered
230 Posts
The OEM DL1000 is a RK, it has the square seals with three seal points on each side. I'm very impressed, just installed it this evening.

Plasma cut the old chain off. Ran new chain on and riveted with the Cycle Gear tool. The tool worked fine. Picture is of one pin riveted.

Attachments

·
Vendor
5,011 Posts
Chain and Sprocket Combinations, with RK Chain and Press Fit Rivet Tool

There is noticeable differences in the quality of the various chains, It includes differences in the tensile strength and the power of the bike that it is intended to work on,

Lots of the cheaper chains have lower tensile strength and show signs of wear after the first few thousand miles,

The high Quality EK Chain and Steel Sprockets package I put together for my fellow Stromtroopers has great tensile strength and is rate for higher HP engines to be sure that it works very well for us,

Feel free to Email me anytime at [email protected] with your Chain and Sprockets Gearing questions, if you include a contact phone number I will be happy to give you a quick call and briefly discuss your Chain and gearing needs with you,

Enjoy the ride, and best regards,
Blair

1 - 11 of 11 Posts