StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stock chain on a DL650

Which Dremel cutting tool do people recommend for cutting the chain, and which grinding tool is suggested for grinding off the top of rivets?

Thanks all

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,047 Posts
I've had good results with the EZ456 cutting disc. It cuts but also grinds shallow materials faster than the grinding wheels.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Grey

HD was out of those so I have a small stock of the smaller 426 wheels. I will soldier on.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Those wheels are great, but I find them pretty expensive. I just bought some cheap reinforced cutting wheels off amazon, and just used them to replace the side-stand foot, and they actually worked great, and at a price of I think 50 for about $6.

I lent my angle grinder to someone and can't remember who now, and this job really needed the angle grinder. The dremel was a lot slower, but I was pretty impressed that it only took about 4 wheels to do the whole job.

My good deal aside, I will say that the cheap bulk wheels are very hit or miss. Mine don't technically fit a dremel grinding wheel bit as the hole is too big, but I tightened them down anyway and they worked fine. Not all cheapo wheels are this good though. I have used some of the non-reinforced bulk wheels, very similar to the dremel brand ones, and they wore away extremely quickly.

Honestly, for just cutting a chain, any cutting wheel will work. You could even use a hack saw.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Stock chain on a DL650

Which Dremel cutting tool do people recommend for cutting the chain, and which grinding tool is suggested for grinding off the top of rivets?

Thanks all

No need to grind off the pins just cut the plates between the rollers.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Yeah sounds like you're overthinking this. If it's a bad chain just chop that bad boy off. I've used an angle grinder, a sawsall, and a oxy gas torch. I don't need to save it.

·
38,047 Posts
Cutting the pin heads is easier than cutting the side plates. That assumes a proper chain tool is on hand the press the pins out of course.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
My chain press tools cares not that there is a rivet in the way. It's quicker to simply cut the chain in half if you already have a grinder, sawsall or whatever. I can chop a chain off in 20 seconds with the sawsall vs 5 to 10 mins to setup the chain breaker and doing it the "right way".

·
38,047 Posts
Well, if other tools are entered into the conversation, bolt cutters would be my choice for quick work.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
No need to grind off the pins just cut the plates between the rollers.
Yes! Brilliant! I started with the 426 wheel grinding down the top of the pins and was about to unwrap my brand new MotionPro PBR to push out the pins, when I got the idea to cut off the pins behind the plate. A minute later the plate was off and I had a usable connecting link for working purposes...for doing things like getting the front sprocket off and so on ... it took me a little while to figure out that I needed to have a chain there in order to undo the drive sprocket nut ;)

This was a great live and learn experience. I now have a shiny rear sprocket with all of its teeth in good stead and a pretty gold DID chain, installed, everything torqued and adjusted.

For the record, removal of the drive sprocket nut was a brute. There is too much give, even with chain on, the back wheel blocked and the back brake zip tied tightly down, to break the RED LOCTITE!!!! and the folded down washer. Finding a 32mm socket took three stores as well. So a trip to the local tool rental place netted me an electric impact wrench...which was used for almost as much as five seconds. Speed was the key, not the power. I took advantage of the impact wrench to remove the rear sprocket nuts as well.

Tonight, after the little people are asleep, I will continue the reassembly of the shifter. It needs some adjustment to accommodate my new boots.

Thanks all.

·
38,047 Posts
A 1-1/4" socket works fine too. It's only very slightly smaller than 32mm.

·
Registered
19 Posts
KZDon, I laughed out loud when I read this:
" I had a usable connecting link for working purposes...for doing things like getting the front sprocket off and so "

You see, I just did my front and rear sprockets and new chain, for the first time in my life. There certainly is a correct ORDER to things--I was so excited about the macho-ness of cutting off that chain. But that excitedness turned into a "Doh!" moment when I realized that blocking my back wheel from spinning wasn't doing much to allow me to take off that front sprocket! I felt like such a hick, getting out my "bailin' wire" to join the chain back together so I could get the breaker bar on that front sprocket. Haha!

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A 1-1/4" socket works fine too. It's only very slightly smaller than 32mm.
Welcome to Canada, Grey. Metric was easier to find than imperial, and, surprisingly, less expensive.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
KZDon, I laughed out loud when I read this:
" I had a usable connecting link for working purposes...for doing things like getting the front sprocket off and so "

You see, I just did my front and rear sprockets and new chain, for the first time in my life. There certainly is a correct ORDER to things--I was so excited about the macho-ness of cutting off that chain. But that excitedness turned into a "Doh!" moment when I realized that blocking my back wheel from spinning wasn't doing much to allow me to take off that front sprocket! I felt like such a hick, getting out my "bailin' wire" to join the chain back together so I could get the breaker bar on that front sprocket. Haha!
That's not hick, it's solving problems. For me, when I realized I needed the chopped up link I had to scrabble around on the garage floor amongst the tools and spread out newspapers to find it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
That's not hick, it's solving problems. For me, when I realized I needed the chopped up link I had to scrabble around on the garage floor amongst the tools and spread out newspapers to find it.
That's funny, KZDon. Thanks for that!! The verb, "to scrabble," really helps to capture the visual of that effort.

·
38,047 Posts
Welcome to Canada, Grey. Metric was easier to find than imperial, and, surprisingly, less expensive.
If only the weather was warmer. I'm already planning a move south from where I am.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts