StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious about the chain on the strom, MOM ( Motorcyle Owneers Manual) says it is a 525 chain, Every where I look, those chains are rated for no more than 750 cc engines, not the 1000cc V-twin.
Is there a big difference between the 530 and 525 chains, would a 530 chain fit on the strom without changing the sprockets, and if not, are there sprockets for the bike that accept 530 chains?
In case you wonder, my chain is still good, just gathering info for the future. At the rate I go right now, I will need a new chain sometime this fall. I bought my strom 3 weeks ago and have already 1300 miles on it and plan on a 2500 mile scenic round trip from OKC to Tucson in 2 weeks. Hopefully somebody can enlighten me.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I pulled my back wheel twice before 3000 mile on the odo. Than I went
for a 6000 mile trip and never pulled it !!!? I did change the tire but I
asked the guy to put the wheel back where it was. The V-Strom rides
better with a loose chain, I find. Must be because of long wheel displacement...

St Germain

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just saw that the 04 models come with the 530 chain. I sure hope the sprockets do interchange. After only 4200 Miles, my original 525 chain stretched (would not be a problem, if it stretched equally all the way aroound).

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Flyingyogi said:
I just saw that the 04 models come with the 530 chain. I sure hope the sprockets do interchange. After only 4200 Miles, my original 525 chain stretched (would not be a problem, if it stretched equally all the way aroound).
I had chains last only 5k before. The problem I found was that the chain used was not the best quality, and I did not lub it correctly. Bought a DID x-ring change ( VM series ) and a scott oiler. Now I adjust the chain every 3-6k miles. I am happy.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree that proper maintenance is everything. I will also admit that my maintenance skills bite.

Some of you may recall that I destroyed a chain while on my Blue Ridge Parkway tour in August. I think it started to clunk-clunk around 13K.

I now am taking better care of new chain (don't want to spend another $200.00) and I have been religously lubing it with Chain Wax.

Brendan

·
Registered
56 Posts
Yep, maintenance is the key! I have 9000 on mine, and it sees 15 miles of dirt/gravel road every day. I just lube it every third day, and have only adjusted the chain twice so far.
BTW, Suzuki literature for the '02 V-STrom said it was a 530 chain, but as everybody found out, it was a 525. I think when the chain manufacturers list the 525 for 750s, they are referring to Suzuki 750s, which have about as much power as many 1000s, and lots more than the V-Strom, so I don't see any need to change up to a 530. Just maintain it!

·
Registered
280 Posts
chain curiosity

Pardon my newbie ignorance, but is there an easy way to tell if I have a 525 or 530 chain on my new 03 yellow Strom. I've not had a chain drive bike before (belt drive or shafts only in past). I am installing a Loobman oiler and plan to put on a new D.I.D. Xring VM 525 before a big ride next year just in case. BTW, is the clearance OK for a 530 or not???

jdpower :?:

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
JD, you have a 525, you shouel be able to see it stamped in some of the links. The 530 aparantly does not fit in the front sprocket housing. You will see how much beefier a DID VM is compared to the OEM when you open the box. big difference.

·
Premium Member
380 Posts

Mine 03 has a 525 chain. So, my question is this, if it can take a 525, can it take a 520? 520s are lighter, less reciprocating mass, and may eek out another .3 HP!

I ended up going with a 520 chain/sprockets when I replaced my 525 on my SV. 525s are quite expensive. If I can go with a 520 when it's time to replace it, I will.

·
Registered
213 Posts
chain

I am not sure if you will be able to find a rear sprocket to fit the Strom in a 520. I know you can get the front sprocket though. Let us know if you find a rear sprocket.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
JD, you have a 525, you shouel be able to see it stamped in some of the links. The 530 aparantly does not fit in the front sprocket housing. You will see how much beefier a DID VM is compared to the OEM when you open the box. big difference.
Awesome! Good to hear. I'm running tourances now, but been debating this combo for awhile.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Administrator
13,666 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts