StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen several members here saying kerosene is the best thing to clean the chain with. Do you remove the chain, and if so, do you re-use the same link you pressed apart, or do you get another? Probably a stupid question, but my steam cleaner is supposed to run on kerosene, but the people I bought it from always burned diesel fuel in it. Is diesel a viable alternative for cleaning, as well? I know years ago diesel was about half the cost of kerosene, not sure that would still be the cae with todays prices.:mad:

·
Registered
44 Posts
I got 550 miles on my new 'Strom yesterday and thought I'd better lube the chain! Problem is the dealer didn't get my center stand by the time they promised - and that was part of the deal. Anyway, I was stuck with Kerosene and a nail brush and rolling the bike around the back yard! I just did a couple revolutions of the chain and scrubbed it down with the kerosene - I'd never done this before since previous bikes were shaftys.

It was messy, but after that I cleaned the gunk off my back wheel and polished it up. Then I rolled the bike down the street to spray DuPont Multi-lube on the chain - that stuff supposedly is less messy/flingy so maybe it'll keep my rear wheel cleaner.

I'll probably have to go through the whole thing again after the dealer sprays their gunk on it during the first service but hopefully I'll have my center stand by then to make it MUCH easier and quicker.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOL! Being without a centerstand is not any fun, but provides entertainment for those of us who have one! I hope you get it soon, sure makes things easier:D

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
Tell the dealer not to lube the chain, that you'll take care of it. Using the DuPont stuff cuts the need to clean the chain way down. It doesn't collect dirt. The Kettenmax device makes cleaning and lubing the chain a much less messy activity. http://www.kettenmax.at/en/company/co_kmax_classic.asp

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
If you have the benefit of a center stand (worth the cost just for chain maintenance), but the bike up on the stand.

I use a small plastic scrub brush, think overgrown tooth brush (which would work, too). I put literally about one-two teaspoons of kerosene in an old spray paint can cap, dip the brush in the kero, and scrub a section of chain. Roll the rear wheel to the next section and repeat, until you've gone all the way around the chain.

Then I use those blue shop paper towels to vigorously scrub the remaining kero and gunk from the chain by hand. Caution- keep your fingers away from that rear sprocket!!! Get going to fast and you can get bit. But, I also try to get the rag near the sprocket teeth to get any accumulation off those as well with the rag.

After I'm done with that, I put the spray tube for the Dupont spray mentioned before right on the chain rollers along the bottom section of chain on the top/inner surface of the chain rollers, GENTLY press the spray button (so just a partial trickle of spray comes out, not full pressure to keep it from spraying everywhere, like on the rear brake) and run the spray tube down the chain. I also cradle the chain with a rag right where I'm spraying, to catch overspray. The spray lube is meant for chain roller-to-sprocket contact, and the Dupont lube has not only teflon, but molybdenum, which is a high stress metal-on-metal lube that you find in gear lubes, etc., so it's going to do a good job on the chain and sprockets. The chain has permanently sealed lube inside the plates and rollers, so the spray isn't critical here.

Roll the rear wheel a few times by hand to spread the lube, and rag off the excess quickly/lightly.

I do this about every 500-700 miles, and after you've done it a few times you'll have the job done in under 5 minutes.

A box of nitrile rubber gloves works great to keep the funk off your hands. Don;t use latex, they will dissolve fast from the kero and spray lube.

·
Registered
44 Posts
If you want to be lazy like me, buy a loobman chain oiler. I have not cleaned my chain in about 6000 miles, and my chain and sprockets show no wear with 15000 miles. The only problem is that it tends to throw oil on your rear fender, but that just adds to the dirty bike look that I love so much. The best 30 bucks I have spent on the bike. Squeeze and forget.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You have one of those, Greywolf? That looks pretty awesome!I couldn't see a price in dollars

·
38,048 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
I got 550 miles on my new 'Strom yesterday and thought I'd better lube the chain! Problem is the dealer didn't get my center stand by the time they promised - and that was part of the deal. Anyway, I was stuck with Kerosene and a nail brush and rolling the bike around the back yard!
Centerstands are useful and my DL has one but they're not necessary for lubing the chain, or pulling the rear wheel for that matter. Just make a temporary prop by cutting a piece of 3/4" PVC pipe the right length to fit under the right side foot peg bracket and lift the rear wheel an inch or so off the ground (probably 12-14"). I carry such a prop on both my SV650 (fits under the seat) and KLR (under the gas tank) which don't have center stands. Weighs almost nothing and works great. I've even fixed a flat on the KLR in the woods using the prop to support the bike while I pulled the rear wheel.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No offense, but If the centerstands aren't for either of those purposes, what is it there for, primarily? I've had a few bikes and that is exactly what I use them for.

·
Registered
128 Posts
OK............I have a kettenmax and used it twice...........but I'm too lazy for that.

It's not that hard to use but it's messy.

I know I'll hear complaints about this but my idea is take it to the car wash and pressure wash it while running on the centerstand.

Also get the rest of the bike while you are at it. Don't need to do this everytime that you lube. I lube every 500 miles more or less depending on riding conditions while running on center stand.

Ideally, after doing pressure wash you should use a compressed air source and blow out all moisture before re-lubing.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Centerstands are useful and my DL has one but they're not necessary for lubing the chain, or pulling the rear wheel for that matter. Just make a temporary prop by cutting a piece of 3/4" PVC pipe the right length to fit under the right side foot peg bracket and lift the rear wheel an inch or so off the ground (probably 12-14"). I carry such a prop on both my SV650 (fits under the seat) and KLR (under the gas tank) which don't have center stands. Weighs almost nothing and works great. I've even fixed a flat on the KLR in the woods using the prop to support the bike while I pulled the rear wheel.
I've got a Quick Stand, a slightly more expensive, but high quality alternative made from aluminum. It doesn't subtract from my cornering clearance from its home under my seat and is less expensive cost wise and weight wise then a center stand.

·
Registered
195 Posts
why not use the centerstand?

No offense, but If the centerstands aren't for either of those purposes, what is it there for, primarily? I've had a few bikes and that is exactly what I use them for.
Yep, that's what they're for and I use the SW Motech centerstand on my DL650 for those purposes. But the V-Strom does not come with a centerstand so my point is that it's possible to perform rear wheel / chain maintenance without buying one. They also reduce ground clearance (quite substantially on the Strom - nearly 2") which is the reason I removed the one the previous owner had installed on my KLR.

Since I ride my V-Strom primarily as a street bike, the loss of ground clearance isn't much of an issue although I did scrape the stand or the skid plate several times recently on the topes (speed bumps) in rural Mexico.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Centerstand, smenterstand

I honestly do not understand all the ruckus about needing a centerstand for chain maintenance. Here is a quick and cheap solution for everyone without a centerstand.

Items needed: Two tie downs, two eye bolts, standard floor or bottle jack.

In my case, I just point my front tire against my garage wall, I installed two eye bolts on the wall. Simply attach tie downs to eye bolts and put on handlebars (like you would tie a bike into a pickup) and tighten. Now bike is supported in upright position. Put floor jack under bottom shock mount under bike and jack up. Might want to put the jack on an old rug, or door mat, so it does not roll around on ya too much.

Viola, bike is ready for chain maintenance, adjustment, wheel removal, etc. I even run the bike to get the chain warmed up and fling the lube where it needs to be flung.

If you don't have a wall handy, use an exterior wall..or fence.

I can provide pictures if needed. so simple its crazy.

This is how I do my oil changes, remove/add crashbars, skidplates or other farkles, just don't use the jack.

·
38,048 Posts
where are u guys finding that dupont multi use lube? i have looked everywhere around here with no luck...
Lowe's, sometimes Ace.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I have seen several members here saying kerosene is the best thing to clean the chain with. Do you remove the chain, and if so, do you re-use the same link you pressed apart, or do you get another?
I didn't see anyone answer your question. Do not remove the chain. Never remove the chain just to clean it.

I have seen Kerosene recommended for cleaning chains a zillion times (and sometimes lubing chains), often by bike manufacturers. In the old days there weren't many alternatives.

Now I don't think you can beat that teflon spray for a modern lube. But honestly, almost anything works as lube if your chain is clean and lubed, motor oil, chainsaw oil, all the wax and oil based lube products.

I use WD-40 cause it is cheap - super duper cheap in the gallon cans- available anywhere and the chain stays clean. I hardly ever clean my chain and when I do, I use WD-40, lube the chian like I always do, I just wipe the chain dry a time or two. Simple. Cheap. Works great.

I dislike the lube products you can buy, other than the teflon ones, because they are messy and the chain gets all blackened with crud sticking to the chain. To each his own though. Use whatever you like. Just keep the chain clean and lubed and everything will be fine.

·
Registered
230 Posts
you guys are SO high tech and fancy...

chain oilers....ketten.whatevers....just throw the bike on the centerstand (if ya got one) grab a rag and the kerosene - throw the bike in neutral and clean the damn chain....start the bike and put it in gear (just like your NOT SUPPOSE TO) and give the chain a dowsing with good old Bel-Ray chain lube...DONE....NOW GRAB A LIGHTER AND FIRE UP THE KEROSENE RAG JUST TO BEAT THE SPONTANEOUS COMBUSTION TO THE PUNCH! AHH, THE FLAME IS SO PRETTY.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts