StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
987 Posts
I know nothing about this chain but I smell "chinese" all over it. I have a natural inclination to dislike buying chinese things for political/economic reasons, but it is just something I think without much real hard facts--I just don't like to see china make so many of our things we use in this country. China is not our friend. I hope they will be some day, but it's not the case right now.
Some chinese stuff is usable but generally it's of poor quality. Taiwanese things tend to be far better.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I know nothing about this chain but I smell "chinese" all over it. I have a natural inclination to dislike buying chinese things for political/economic reasons, but it is just something I think without much real hard facts--I just don't like to see china make so many of our things we use in this country. China is not our friend. I hope they will be some day, but it's not the case right now.
Some chinese stuff is usable but generally it's of poor quality. Taiwanese things tend to be far better.
I am with you. This is why I want the feedback, just in case someone knows for sure. I like the price, but I don't see anything of quality being this cheap.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Spend your money with a fellow stromtrooper at svracingparts.com. Blair sells quality parts with great prices and the best customer service around.:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Hmmm, I just went to that site, and I am also of the opinion that it could be a cheap Chinese knockoff item. A chain normally sells for $100.00 or more. That's just too low a price to be true, and as the saying goes, if it sounds too good to be true, then it is. You'd be better off spending more on a known, high quality American made chain, like the ones mentioned above. Just my $.02.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Rocky mountain atv mc has a house brand called "primary drive" that was quite popular among KLR riders. I used two of them and they lasted as long as the factory chain or longer.

Sent from my iPhone

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Junk.

Search around... lots of people have had cheap eBay chains that wear out quickly (if you're lucky) or break.

I saw an eBay chain toss its o-rings and destroy itself in less than 400 miles on a friend's bike. That was a fun day...

Get a good chain. It's not worth risking broken engine cases or flaming death.

The "generic" Primary Drive and Parts Unlimited chains are OK if you're really caught short.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I'm going to say I think it's most likely junk and not worth it. Buy from Blair and switch to 530 (advice for 1K owners, for 650 525 is what I'd use).

·
Registered
312 Posts
I have that exact chain on my Vee......and it has 12,000 miles on it. I expect it to last another 5,000-8,000. Yes, I use clip master links. Installed properly, you'll never have one fail in 1,000 lifetimes.

There are only a limited number of chain manufacturers on earth. Many, if not most companies on this planet are just marketing companies. They buy the same stuff that everyone else does, from the limited number of prime manufacturers....stamp their brand on it....and start their marketing campaign.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have that exact chain on my Vee......and it has 12,000 miles on it. I expect it to last another 5,000-8,000. Yes, I use clip master links. Installed properly, you'll never have one fail in 1,000 lifetimes.
Now we are getting somewhere!
What have been your adjustment intervals? Did you install new sprockets with this chain?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts