StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what type of chain and sprockets are suggested for my V-Strom 1000. It has 14000 miles on it and the chain is worn out. The sprockets aren't bad but i will probably go ahead and replace them too. I want a good chain that will last long, but for a reasonable price. Same with the sprockets.
Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I keep hearing people singing the praises of the "X-Ring" chain -- New-Mo-Bettah...gotta be something to it 'cuz I've heard it from numerous people. D.I.D. is a brandname I've heard tossed around quite a bit but, to be honest, I really can't consider myself overly educated about chains. My Strom is my first chain-drive bike in A LOT of years and I've only got 4K+ on it at the moment. Best of luck with your purchasing decision. Ride safe, ride often. :cool:

M

·
0 Posts
Yup,
What he said, but without the sarcasm. I've used the DID 525 X-Ring chain with great results. If you want to add a little life to the bike, when you replace the sprockets, put a 43T rear sprocket on it.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I too am in need of a new chain. The orginal has not stretched overly much, but I am lazy at maintnenance. I tend to hit any interesting gravel road that I see. With 10,050 miles on the bike a couple of links don't move as freely as they should which I can feel while riding.

I do not plan on changing my laissez faire attitude towards maintenance. Will an X ring chain actually last signficantly longer? OEM from Onieda Suzuiki is only $76.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I too am in need of a new chain........OEM from Onieda Suzuiki is only $76.
Just remember that the OEM chain will require some working around the swing arm to install since there is no master link in it...

·
Vendor
5,011 Posts
I was wondering what type of chain and sprockets are suggested for my V-Strom 1000. It has 14000 miles on it and the chain is worn out. The sprockets aren't bad but i will probably go ahead and replace them too. I want a good chain that will last long, but for a reasonable price. Same with the sprockets.
Thanks!!

:) I've got Chain and Sprockets on special for Stromtroopers at $155 for quality EK-SRX 525 Rivet Link Chain, and quality new front and rear sprockets. You can choose the sizes. $10 Shipping for Stromtroopers. :cool:

Let me know if I can help you out.

Thanks, and best regards,
Blair

·
Vendor
5,011 Posts
You often get what you pay for with sprockets/chains.
:) The EK-SRX gold Chain and Sprockets in the offer come to me from Pit Bull so you know they only produce high quality.

I use this combination myself and find it to be excellent.

The front sprocket is Steel and the rear is manufactured by Pit Bull Industries. It is Hard Anodized Aluminum and warranted by Pit Bull to be harder and tougher than steel, with longer wearing properties. :cool:

I offer it to Stromtroopers as a great buy opportunity to replace their worn chain and sprockets at a great price from SV Racing Parts.

If I can help anyone out, email me at [email protected] and I will get it ordered and shipped to your door.

Enjoy the ride all,

Best regards,
Blair

·
Registered
800 Posts

Check these guys out if you want the best. Especially the Titanium II sprockets. Lifetime guarantee (but they aren't cheap).

Check out the smart and titanium chains.

http://www.sidewindersprockets.com/index.html
Yes, but it does not answer the question on maintenance. This is from the web site listed:

The Smart Chain is a new, ingenious sealed-chain design destined to fundamentally alter the chain industry.
This “chain that thinks” employs very special seals called V-series “Smart Rings.” They are saturated with a
temperature-sensitive, aerospace lubricant that automatically self-lubricates the friction points between the side
plates and the O-ring, eliminating drag, increasing power to the rear end and providing more horsepower,
greater speed and faster acceleration.

So if O-rings stand up better to dirt then X-rings it would appear I would be better off with an O-ring chain as even fancy dancy teflon impregnated O-rings will get damaged by dirt.

·
Registered
33 Posts

Check these guys out if you want the best. Especially the Titanium II sprockets. Lifetime guarantee (but they aren't cheap).

Check out the smart and titanium chains.

http://www.sidewindersprockets.com/index.html
Sidewinder's customer service is horrible. I was going to get a chain/sprocket combo from them, so I did a little research on their history and found many, many people complaining about them. Their products are good, but they don't give a sh*t about you once they get your money.

·
Registered
31 Posts
A lot of people going on long tours will replace the stock chain with a DID X-Ring (i.e. 525) as they supposedly have better wear characteristics and last much longer. Having said that, you have done well to get 14,000 miles out of your stock chain so if your riding habits will stay the same, the upgrade to a DID won't make a huge of a difference to you for mileage. It will make a difference though, I'm guessing most people upgrade to non OEM.

Personally, I don't think the stock are that bad at all. I'm cheap so when I bought a DID to put on my Strom, I figured that I would ride the stock one to near death and then replace. First I thought that I would replace it by Egypt but it looked fine. Then I thought Ethiopia because I was running it dry in the desert through Sudan and that would wear it out. Still looked fine. Then I thought Kenya because it was getting long in the tooth and it was still running dry through the northern part - still fine. Finally, it started to show signs of wear in Namibia and by Cape Town certainly needed to be changed. Mileage was about 16,000, smarter people and those less cheap change them much earlier.

BTW, you always should change sprockets as well when you swap chain. When they wear, they wear together so putting on a new chain with half worn sprockets will cause the chain to wear much faster. The old sprockets may not look that worn to the naked eye, but they are.

Cheers:)

·
Banned
944 Posts
Yes, but it does not answer the question on maintenance. This is from the web site listed:

The Smart Chain is a new, ingenious sealed-chain design destined to fundamentally alter the chain industry.
This “chain that thinks” employs very special seals called V-series “Smart Rings.” They are saturated with a
temperature-sensitive, aerospace lubricant that automatically self-lubricates the friction points between the side
plates and the O-ring, eliminating drag, increasing power to the rear end and providing more horsepower,
greater speed and faster acceleration.

So if O-rings stand up better to dirt then X-rings it would appear I would be better off with an O-ring chain as even fancy dancy teflon impregnated O-rings will get damaged by dirt.
All I use is Teflon and I spend a lot of time in the dirt. Teflon doesn't attract dirt. Oil does.

·
Banned
944 Posts
Sidewinder's customer service is horrible. I was going to get a chain/sprocket combo from them, so I did a little research on their history and found many, many people complaining about them. Their products are good, but they don't give a sh*t about you once they get your money.
Interesting:

Why don't you read this string. http://www.stromtrooper.com/showthread.php?t=22227

jackpiner57 and Cheff, don't appear to have the same opinion of sidewinder.

Could you be more specific?

Cheers

·
Registered
800 Posts
All I use is Teflon and I spend a lot of time in the dirt. Teflon doesn't attract dirt. Oil does.
Sorry I was in a hurry earlier. What I meant was a chains length of service is very dependant on maintenance. I don't like maintnance. O-rings stand up to dirt better then X-Rings per the web site you listed. The very expensive chain has teflon impregnated O-rings. If I don't get the dirt away from the O-rings the teflon will not protect them. It is my opinion that if you are a lazy slob like me you are likely only wasting money on expensive chains. I could well be wrong, but I hate chains.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts