StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm getting ready to get my bike ready for riding season in a couple of months and I want to change the chain and sprockets. I read through the previous threads and decided to go with Brockies recommendation of the 15f 50r combo. I think 116 link is stock so i probably need a 118 or 120 correct? Also I am not buying the Chinese cheap chain ( no offense to anyone) but I don't want the expensive OEM either. What is the best compromise on price but still good quality? I do appreciate any and all input, Thanks

·
Registered
15,732 Posts
I used an EK chain cost $106 and has 26K plus on it and seems fine still.
Check with one of the vendors on the site. They won't hose you.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the recommendations!
I think I am going with the stock 15f 47r gearing and buying an extra countershaft sprocket in 14 and 16 tooth to play around with, that way I won't have to mess with adding or taking out links. I'm thinking about going with the DID or Vortex chain kit. The DID kit comes with JT sprockets which are made in Taiwan so I'm a little skeptical. I have used JT sprockets on dirt bikes many times and they were great but I'm kind of unsure about cruising 80mph down the highway with them. Anyone have an opinion on either DID with JT sprockets or Vortex?

·
Registered
210 Posts

This comes with a screw on master link so it's easy to cut the old chain off with whatever cutting tool you have then replace with only a torque wrench and normal hand tools. You can buy 120 links and cut to size.

Works great!

I'm on my second one at 105000 km.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys, good stuff!
griffondude- The EK chain looked very good but it seems they don't ship to the US. I like the screw type master link, it reminds me of the Flexco conveyor fasteners that I use on my job. They are tough, pull heavy loads and wear very good, oh well
Looks like I am going with the DID chain, I'm not sure about sprockets yet. My bike has 18k miles and the sprockets still look new so I may just throw a new chain on it rather than using some cheap sprockets.

·
Premium Member
3,049 Posts
Thanks guys, good stuff!
griffondude- The EK chain looked very good but it seems they don't ship to the US. I like the screw type master link, it reminds me of the Flexco conveyor fasteners that I use on my job. They are tough, pull heavy loads and wear very good, oh well
Looks like I am going with the DID chain, I'm not sure about sprockets yet. My bike has 18k miles and the sprockets still look new so I may just throw a new chain on it rather than using some cheap sprockets.
Put new sprockets on, unless you want the chain to wear out faster than it should.
OEM sprockets are good quality and not that expensive.

Reactions: Big Boy

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks RichDesmond I appreciate the nudge! I'll do some more shopping, looks like I'm going for tires as well. 😢

1 - 9 of 9 Posts