StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As part of my new-to-me 2007 DL650 mid-life refresh I planned to replace the chain and sprockets. So in June 2020 I ordered a DID chain and sprocket kit from my local dealer. But it was backordered to July, then August, then September, finally got it in early November (COVID apparently).

I rode 8,000 more km on the old chain and sprockets than I had wanted to, but what else could I do?

Here is a pic of the front sprocket in May 2020, and of the sprocket I just took off, about 10,000 km later. Just in time, I think (in the second pic the old sprocket is compared to the new, uninstalled sprocket which is silver underneath).

k.

·
Premium Member
4,690 Posts
Ya, there's a little wear there. Mine have been hooked but I haven't gotten to the nub point. Looks like your chain and sprockets arrived just in time.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Wow, that's some wear. Do you know how many miles/km were on that front sprocket?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think its about 40,000 km, assuming the previous owner‘s estimate was accurate and assuming the sprocket was replaced with the chain. I guess there’s a chance that its 65,000 km, if the sprocket has never been replaced since new?

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
My money is that the sprocket has 65K km. I've run chains and sprockets to 50K km and the fronts were pointy and hooked, but never worn like this one.

Reactions: Jjonahjamison

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ya, there's a little wear there. Mine have been hooked but I haven't gotten to the nub point. Looks like your chain and sprockets arrived just in time.

View attachment 279993

View attachment 279993
The manual states the amount of stretch you should get to . I find that when you put on a new chain, get a old hacksaw blade and when you tighten well the chain without any slack, you grind it length to match 20 pitches. You now have a baseline to determine the wear in the future. Just measure the stretch as it wears and call it a day when it reaches the manual limit. Keep in mind to release the tension to the correct amount after testing.In the old days we would run a chain until we ran out of adjustment and then remove a link and off went again. We had chains with a master link join with a spring link retainer. Never ever had a failure in 25 years, maybe just lucky.The sprockets we would turn backwards as the leading edge does not surfer much wear. With the wee this would be crazy as inside the front sprocket casing the clutch rod and casting is so close to the sprocket/chain that a Broken chain has a high chance of major damage. I have found that it is easy to get 20k plus out of a chain sprocket set by regular cleaning with a rag soaked in kerosene and regressed. My favourite grease is White Lithium grease as it is cleaner than the so called chain greases and seems to had a higher wax adhering characteristic. JMO

·
Administrator
17,759 Posts
Chains don't stretch, but sprockets wear and that causes the impression of a stretched chain. ;)

·
Registered
339 Posts
Chains don't stretch, but sprockets wear and that causes the impression of a stretched chain. ;)
Sure they do. One of the ways to determine if your chain needs replacing is to measure a specific number of links (pin-to-pin) and compare it to the factory specs. There's usually a max length that is spec'd for service limit/replacement. That's one of the factors in sprocket wear, too, and the main reason it's always recommended that you replace the chain and sprockets as a set.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The strom is my first chain drive bike and I replaced mine at around 20,000 miles. they were on way better condition than your pics.

Guess I could have got another season out of them lol.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Plenty of life left. Those cords give extra traction in the winter, but you have to get them showing around the entire circumference to work properly!
Should he take a knife and cut those cords to give some loose ends to get more traction in the snow?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts