StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
The owners manual clearly states to adjust the chain using the side stand. I don't know how much difference it makes to have the bikes weight on the wheels instead of having the wheel hanging, but I assume that Suzuki engineers had a reason for stating it in the owners manual.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
The book spec is for the bike on the side stand. You could set it to spec on the side stand, then put the bike up on the centerstand and find the resulting measurement for future use on the centerstand.

On the pre-2012 bikes the marks on the swingarm are not accurate enough for chain alignment--they're a starting point, then sight down the chain to be sure it is running straight off the sprocket. I don't know if the L2 bike has accurate marks, but I wouldn't trust them without a careful look.

Little or no need to clean the chain, but it does need lube for longest chain life. Lube every other tank of gas is a good rule of thumb, and lube every tank when running in the wet or in abrasive grit. A simple wipe with a dry cloth is OK for getting dirt off--I don't use kerosene or anything else to clean, and I don't use a goopy lube. As always, never ever run the engine while cleaning or lubing the chain--fingers have been cut off doing this.

·
Premium Member
4,255 Posts
Hands down, it is much easier to adjust my chain with the bike on the side stand. The adjusters move better and there is a lot less of this fat man flopping around on the garage floor to measure the chain freeplay. I have also found that the marks on my swingarms are pretty much spot on for reference points.

·
Super Moderator
16,862 Posts
Hands down, it is much easier to adjust my chain with the bike on the side stand. The adjusters move better and there is a lot less of this fat man flopping around on the garage floor to measure the chain freeplay. I have also found that the marks on my swingarms are pretty much spot on for reference points.
That's funny......took you more like 2 hours to adjust your chain from what I have seen. :grin2: Of course you are a shaft drive guy now, you have other things to worry about.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts