StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Stromers.

How many of you have fitted the centrestand to your bike? Does the Suzuki one affect cornering etc? (i had mine on the FJ scrape :p on progressive/bumpy corners)

How do you cope without one? FWIW i always park with the bike in gear so don't envisage any accidents..looking more form a maintenance aspect - chain adjustment point of view.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I've fitted the Suzuki centre stand and hit the bends here up to 70mph without any grounding. I think you'd have to lean it pretty far over to run into problems without lowering the suspension pretty far.

Fitting the centre-stand improves so many things, particularly maintenance issues like chain greasing and checking/adding oil.

All in all, a good decision. :D

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
center stand

Motec appears to be the best choice. Good clearance, better quality, easy install, cheaper
$139 at California sport touring.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I recently installed a SW-Motech Centerstand - nice piece of work. :D
It's very well made and easy to install.
Besides the obvious maintenance benefits, to be able to park the bike in the garage on the centerstand saves me some space - garage real estate is precious and limited :wink:

Cheers

-Jack

·
Registered
89 Posts
I can say that the motec stand does not inhibit the corning ability of the bike at all as I have scraped boh pegs on my 650 and have not gotten the stand yet. I have hit the bottom of the stand on large rocks and logs off road but no the sides!

I am glad to have added the centerstand to the bike as it is just so much more useable now when on my trip.

Mike

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmmm, OK i'll have to add one of those to my shopping list then :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Center Stand Motech vs Suzuki

I bought my pre-owned 03 VS 1000 with a Suzuki center stand already installed. I had the MoTech crash guards and skid plate installed by a local Suzuki dealer. The Suzuki stand wasn't compatable with the Skip plate and had to be removed. I later bought and installed the Motech center stand myself. I don't like the Motech center stand as much as the Suzuki because it is positioned further towards the back of the bike and is much easier to be pushed forwad off the stand. It is easier to pull the bike upon the stand , which is good, but I feel it is less stable than the Suzuki stand. I experienced the difference between the two stands when I was changing my back tire and the bike fell off the stand. I had changed my back tire before with the Suzuki satnd and did't have the same problem. Now I must brace the front of the bike when I change my tires to insure it doesn't fall forward off the stand. I would like to reinstall the Suzuki stand but I am not sure how to modify it to work with the Motech skid plate.

Has anyone had a similar problem , or has any suggestions on how to modify the MoTech or the Suzuki stand I would appreciate your advice.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I read about a little tip that would help with that. You need to tie the centerstand to the front wheel so that it can't fip back up.

Hope that helps. I just ordered a Suzuki center stand, hoping that it will "fit" my 'not so aggressive' riding style. Although the weight of a passenger changes everything!!

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Center Stand for VStrom

I ordered the Suzuki centerstand for my new 650 (although it is listed in factory catalog for the 1000 model) and had the following "issues"

1. The stand fit the frame but was supplied with incorrect size bolts. Had to go to a hardware store for the right ones.

2. The dual springs were VERY difficult to attach.

3. The bike goes up on the stand easily but quite difficult to go back down.

4. When on the stand the bike leans slightly to the right and this adds to the difficulty of taking bike off the stand.

Anyone else experience these difficulties?

·
Registered
285 Posts
The 1000 stand does not fit the 650. Many parts guys don't know that. They are supposed to make one for the 650 in the near future. I'm getting the Motech one but have reservations about it. I'll see what happens when I get it. Should arrive this week.

·
Registered
41 Posts
MoTech Center Stand follow-up

I wanted to acknowlwdge the excellent response from Erik Sthepens of Twisted Trottle about my MoTech Center Stand comments dated June 25. Erick sent me an email with the attched web page on how to modify the Suzuki center to work with the Motech Skid plate.

http://11109.rapidforum.com/area=011&topic=101181293103&reverse=1

Thanks Erik, it's great to know that customer service still is important to some vendors.

Erik Stephens
Twisted Throttle Ltd.
PO Box 2383
Bala Cynwyd, PA 19004
610-256-2232 (phone)
707-922-7276 (fax)
[email protected]
http://www.twistedthrottle.com

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Re: Center Stand for VStrom

ffronr said:
I ordered the Suzuki centerstand for my new 650 (although it is listed in factory catalog for the 1000 model) and had the following "issues"

1. The stand fit the frame but was supplied with incorrect size bolts. Had to go to a hardware store for the right ones.

2. The dual springs were VERY difficult to attach.

3. The bike goes up on the stand easily but quite difficult to go back down.

4. When on the stand the bike leans slightly to the right and this adds to the difficulty of taking bike off the stand.

Anyone else experience these difficulties?
I recently ordered the 650 version of the SWM centerstand. Assuming I *ahem* get the right one, how difficult is it to install? Just bolt on and go or are there a few tricks to getting it on right?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Installing Centre Stand Springs

Here's a tip for installing those springs on centre stands, and works with any spring installation. Us a thin coin like a dime or a thin washer, a bunch of them. Bend the spring one way so that you can slip the dime/washer into the gap at the first twist of the spring. Then bend it the other way and slip in another dime 180 degrees around and a bit further down the spring. Just keep repeating. You are, in effect, gradually lengthening the spring until it gets to the length you need. The more you put in, the harder it gets though. Once the spring is on, you'll need needlenose pliers to get the washers/dimes out, and you may even need needlenose vise grips for the first few.

Bob

·
Registered
24 Posts
centerstand spring

A trick I found for getting the spring on the centerstand is to put one spring on at a time. The motech spring is a double spring. I don't what suzuki uses.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I installed my Motech centerstand today. The directions are a little shabby - just a partially exploded diagram of the entire assembly and half written in German. There's not even a step by step order of assembly. I put it together off the bike first to make sure I knew where all the parts went and that they all fit. I also made sure the bolts screwed in the frame holes prior to assembly. Nothing is more frustrating than trying to hold something as you try to screw a bolt in and find out after 10 minutes of fiddling that the bolt doesn't actually fit. :x
Anyhow, here is an order of operation that may be helpful to others. It worked well for me.
1 - Attached the rubber bumper on the stand itself. It's a little tricky to get it in the hole all the way and it's best to do this before it is on the bike.
2 - Bolt on the right (exhaust) side of the frame piece. The upper allen bolt is a little tricky to get to if you don't have a long allenT wrench (like me). I struggled with a regular L shaped allen until I got it halfway in and had more clearance for the wrench. Use Loc-tite or similar on the bolt.

3 - Put the stand pivot through the bolted on frame piece and on the other "loose" frame piece (make sure you grease the pvots first).

4 - While the pivot is still in the hole, bolt the other frame piece in place.

5 - Attach the springs (see suggestions above) and bolt on the rubber bumper that attaches to the exhaust mount. (BTW - the instructions only list 1 spring but there are 2. This led to some comfusion on my part for a bit - Hey, an extra spring!)

The bike is ridiculously easy to put up on the stand (or I am insanely strong). I have seen some bikes that are a major pain to get up. Happy riding! :D

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
JRE said:
The bike is ridiculously easy to put up on the stand (or I am insanely strong). I have seen some bikes that are a major pain to get up.
Yep. My '95 Kawi Concours was the worst... decent bike - awful centerstand.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i just installed the sw motech centerstand and it was a breeze.the double spring was very easy to pull with a pipe-spring puller and mounting both the centerstand and crash bars took about an hour.it is also very easy to put the bike up on the centerstand,much easier than several lighter bikes i've had.you practically have to lift the entire weight of my klr to get it onto the centerstand.the crashbars also feel very solid with the cross-bar setup.the others i looked at flexed quite a bit at the forward-most point when pushed.i'm going to have to get curb-feelers and fuzzy dice if i keep bolting stuff onto this bike. :D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts