StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This thread will be used to connect Central Oregon riders.

Also if you are planning a ride to Central Oregon and are looking for some route, camping, or hotel information, post up here and maybe we can help make your ride just a little better!

I'd also like to edit this first post to keep a list of Strom riders on the dry side of the Cascades. So post up and I'll put you in the list below:

Forum Name____Name_____Location
MadChap--------Tim-------Madras
Mudbutt---------Bob------Redmond
kchili------------Kim-------Alfalfa
kchili's partner---Mark-----Alfalfa
sakebato -------Matt------Heppner
gmcnally-------Gene------LaPine (Woodburn to re-hydrate)

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I work Saturday afternoon/evenings so can't make rides that day, but Sunday's after 12:00 and Mondays work great for me. I like to use the wee as a dual sport ride, but don't mind paved only.

I enjoy overnight ride/camp/ride trips.

Let's ride.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I'm available7 days a week. Pavement only, gravel scares me. I have reservations for the Rally.

Mudbutt------Bob--------Redmond

·
Registered
46 Posts
Central Oregon Meet & Greet

I'm available Thur-Sun. I'll ride anywhere, grew up in the dirt. I like pretty scenery & 4k calorie burgers!:hurray:

kchili--------------Kim---------------Bend/Alfalfa
Mark-------------Bend/Alfalfa

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great Start!

Mudbutt...We've got to get you our on the gravel/dirt in the area. You'll miss way too much good riding if you stick to the paved. Drifting the back end of the DL on good gravel roads is sooo much fun!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Alfalfa, down a dirt road, of course! Did forest rd 19 in our 30' motorhome, will be much nicer on the bikes!!!

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I rode the Aufderheide last summer on a Pacific Coast 800 I had at the time. It's an awesome road, I will be riding it again for sure this summer. I plan on doing an overnight at Blair lake which is above Oakridge. My family used to camp there when I was a kid. I tried to get there on the PC but wised up and decided to wait until I had a Wee.

It's a must do ride for any Oregonian!

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Matt: Nope. Glad to have you. There's some great day rides in your area.

Two years ago I spent a night on the John Day about straight south of you, 3 miles upriver from Monument. It was my last night of a 8 day ride on my DR350. Beautiful country.

I'll add you to the list.

I've got a buddy (Levi) who rides a Vee out of John Day. I need to get a hold of him and see if he's ever on here.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Matt: Nope. Glad to have you. There's some great day rides in your area.

Two years ago I spent a night on the John Day about straight south of you, 3 miles upriver from Monument. It was my last night of a 8 day ride on my DR350. Beautiful country.

I'll add you to the list.

I've got a buddy (Levi) who rides a Vee out of John Day. I need to get a hold of him and see if he's ever on here.
Yay!
A Dr 350 eh? Did we meet once in spray at that little dinner? And Im Pretty sure I have seen your buddies Vee in johnday a time or two. And Great rides in my area, you dont know the half of it. And they only get better the further north you go. Looking foreword to some group rides :thumbup:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Gonna ride

Rag tag, all inclusive group meeting at Shari's North in Bend at 09:30, headed out for the Dalles. Looking forward to riding with friends!

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've seen posts for a group on Craigslist. Is that the one. I work Saturdays so doesn't work for me but enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
7 Posts
new here and first post..

Hey to all..

I just got my '07 VStrom 650 2 days ago. I was out and about on my '89 Honda NX250 dual sport and saw a bunch of bikes at a local used auto dealership.. then this nice looking bike caught my eye. I ended up trading the NX250 and my non-running '93 Yamaha Virago 750 and some cash for this.

I'm loving the roll-on power of this bike. So.. I'm now looking to make some new riding friends and go on some rides. I do need to get this thing lowered a WEE bit though.. lol.. Am gonna try lowering the front end first.. but don't know how it will change the handling so I'm prepared to do the rear as well.

So.. let's ride.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Hey Brucester your in the valley. "Just kidding" when you come to our side let us know and we will hook you up with some good rides.

Kim, I have no rubber left on the rear, new tire goes on Sunday

·
Registered
498 Posts
route info to rally needed

Okay gang, I'm trying to take the long way to the rally. whats a good route from Enterprise, OR? I'm looking for some dirt mixed in, nothing crazy as I may be solo on this one. I'll be camping so any info on campsites along the way would be great. Looking to be in Enterprise a few days before the rally. if anybody is going to be out a couple of days before and looking for a riding partner let me know.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Bumblebee: If I'm reading your post right, you will have a couple days to make it from Enterprise to the rally in The Dalles?

If that's so, you have tons of great options. A couple questions:

How many hours per day do you typically ride when adventure touring?

You mention camping, will you be cooking or eating out? Cooking means you can camp in the middle of nowhere, eating out means you need to camp near a town for dinner and breakfast.

Rate your preference for the following from high to low:

Twisty paved roads
Scenic paved roads
Scenic gravel/dirt roads
Unique historic sites
Wide open spaces
Forested mountain roads

Once we know what you like, we'll try to hook you up with the good stuff! You could easily pick up a portion of the OBDR, at least to Seneca. How's your stream crossing skills:var_20:

Tim

·
Registered
46 Posts
Rode to the Dalles through maupin yesterday, amazing ride!! Rode by the cousins hotel where we will rally next month. We'll be havin a good time!

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
542 Posts
Okay gang, I'm trying to take the long way to the rally. whats a good route from Enterprise, OR? I'm looking for some dirt mixed in, nothing crazy as I may be solo on this one. I'll be camping so any info on campsites along the way would be great. Looking to be in Enterprise a few days before the rally. if anybody is going to be out a couple of days before and looking for a riding partner let me know.
Plenty of dirt out by Enterprise. Head down to Joseph and take 350 out to Imnaha. From There you have a 40 mile dirt ride out to Hells Canyon, views are spectacular. If you have time to kill, you could head over to central Oregon, we have some really neat things to see. John Day fossil beds, Painted Hills, Newberry Caldara, Smith Rock, Lake Billy Chinook and more. You have several routes you could take from Enterprise to miss 84, all would be good!!!!!

·
Registered
498 Posts
Plenty of dirt out by Enterprise. Head down to Joseph and take 350 out to Imnaha. From There you have a 40 mile dirt ride out to Hells Canyon, views are spectacular. If you have time to kill, you could head over to central Oregon, we have some really neat things to see. John Day fossil beds, Painted Hills, Newberry Caldara, Smith Rock, Lake Billy Chinook and more. You have several routes you could take from Enterprise to miss 84, all would be good!!!!!
I actually lived in Imnaha on a cattle ranch when I was a young lad. I went to school in that 2 room school house. I've took the back way to Heller bar from there. Great ride. I'm thinking I'll stay at the log cabin rv park. (good people). and head east from there. Maybe to Lagrande and then into the woods???? Madchap, I can camp most anywhere, pottable water is a plus but I can work around that if necessary, I'm okay with 200-300+ miles depending on how much pavement is involved, and how scenic it is.

Rate your preference for the following from high to low:

Twisty paved roads
Scenic paved roads
Scenic gravel/dirt roads
Unique historic sites
Wide open spaces
Forested mountain roads

High to all! But I think I'll pass on the water crossing in June! (Ive seen u-tube vids of Maher river crossings). Maybe you guys can suggest Multi-rider route and a solo route. I'll need fuel at 185miles so don't put me too far in the dingle weeds!

1 - 20 of 132 Posts