StromTrooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short: After living in Taiwan for 3 years my wife and I decided to ride our Vstrom from Kyrgyzstan to Europe. My bike was flown to Bishkek the Kyrgyz capital and we flew from Taiwan to Bishkek. I had never seen my Strom because my best friend purchased the bike for me in Europe 4 months prior to the trip...I loved the Strom the first sight (after getting it out of the Kyrgyz customs...).

So, we rode over 15.000km altogether two up on a '04 650 Vstrom. Needless to say without any mechanical problems!

Everything on my bike was prepared by G&T Metal Fabrication Inc. (now Outback Motortek partner). Often time adventure riders who we met along the road quite liked what we made for our Vstrom and were curious and asked "which catalog did you order it from?". Well, we took it as a sign.

Feel free to check out some of our YouTube videos of the Central Asian trip and also some photos below.

Seeing my bike the first time at Kyrgyz Customs (Bishkek Airport)
IMG_1165 by lorrygombosh, on Flickr

Christmas came early - Finally unwrapping her
IMG_1170 by lorrygombosh, on Flickr

Taking a GoPro selfie at 3600m elevation
GOPR0066 by lorrygombosh, on Flickr

Posing with my Strom at the same elevation as above
IMG_1358 by lorrygombosh, on Flickr

People call Kyrgyzstan "Switzerland of the east". Righfully so.
IMG_1403 by lorrygombosh, on Flickr

Road taking us out of the remote Tien-Shan mountain range. China was just around the corner.
IMG_1451 by lorrygombosh, on Flickr

Kyrgyz-Tajik border: Lil' kiddo was such a great "host" at our first guest house stay. He was busy waiving down "lost" foreigners on bikes and bicycles.
IMG_1716 by lorrygombosh, on Flickr

Lenin Peak provided a spectacular view - Sary-Tash Guest House elevation appr. 4200m/13800ft
IMG_1738 by lorrygombosh, on Flickr

You're never alone out there - ran into this German gentleman at the Tajik border.
IMG_1748 by lorrygombosh, on Flickr

Testing products (and my wife's patience) - This is now officially the Pamir Highway! Yay!
GOPR0034 by lorrygombosh, on Flickr

As some people describe it: "Riding the moon"
IMG_1759 by lorrygombosh, on Flickr

IMG_1792 by lorrygombosh, on Flickr

Found a little section of paved road - Fence on the left hand side separates China from Tajikistan
IMG_1805 by lorrygombosh, on Flickr

The highway was real "busy"
IMG_1815 by lorrygombosh, on Flickr

Finall we made it up to the "Ak-Baital" Pass. This is the highest elevation of the Pamir Highway - 4655m/15272ft. Also known as the second highest highway in the world.
IMG_1819 by lorrygombosh, on Flickr

Wakhan Corridor - Some of its road are not even on Google maps. You have to know landmarks to navigate through it back to the Pamir Highway
IMG_1864 by lorrygombosh, on Flickr

Not to worry, it's just air filter cleaning and minor damage repair (Vstroms don't break down)
IMG_1975 by lorrygombosh, on Flickr

Wild camping along the Tajik-Afghan borders
IMG_2014 by lorrygombosh, on Flickr

Nature's car (and motorcycle) wash.
IMG_2030 by lorrygombosh, on Flickr

More images to come soon...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
And more from the very same trip

Central Asian people are really curious. Often times quite the crowd gathered around the Strom. Absolutely harmless, friendly folks.
GOPR0123 by lorrygombosh, on Flickr

We tried to be just as friendly - Random kid wanted to "feel" the bike.
IMG_2083 by lorrygombosh, on Flickr

Finding gasoline in Uzbekistan was a nuisance.
IMG_2108 by lorrygombosh, on Flickr

But the locals always helped us out. These fine lads ran around town collecting 6 liter (that's all they got) 75 octane gas that was previously smuggled in the country from Turkmenistan.
IMG_2106 by lorrygombosh, on Flickr

The Kara-Kum desert seemed endless.
IMG_2120 by lorrygombosh, on Flickr
IMG_2121 by lorrygombosh, on Flickr

Friendly locals invited in their house for dinner. We stayed until breakfast. Next morning we woke up to see this "Uzbek security system" (patent pending, haha). What awesome people!
IMG_2131 by lorrygombosh, on Flickr

More cruel desert.
IMG_2137 by lorrygombosh, on Flickr

Bumped into South Americans circumnavigating the world. You're never alone!
IMG_2160 by lorrygombosh, on Flickr

·
Bikeless 4 now
1,226 Posts
Gorgeous! Glad you had a great ride with no problems. Thanks for sharing!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts