StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a center stand and skid/bash plate for my very new 2014 1000 Adventure. No centerstand came with it and the polastic mud guard below is pretty crappy. I was looking at either the OEM stand or SWMotoTech stand. Suggestions? I also want a bash plate that is not real hard to change the oil when installed. Again advice is appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
585 Posts
This topic has been beat to death but I'll answer.

I have the oem centre stand, and have a sw Motech skid plate, it requires you to remove 8 bolts to change the oil. There is a hole in the bottom where you could remove the drain plug, but it would make a mess.

There has been question about the protection of the skid plate but I can definitely say mine has worked perfectly. Including bottoming out. No damage to the side case bolts, just a dent in the pan

·
Premium Member
4,293 Posts
Mine is the OEM center stand because i liked the extra brace on it (had one bend on my old bike without it).

For the skid plate you need to consider how it mounts. If you have Givi Crash bars, and went with SWMotech for the bash plate you would need a custom bracket to attach the front to the crash bars. There is a thread about this if you search.

The Happy Trails bash plate is also like that, but you can modify the mounting kit (purchased separately) to make it work with Givi crash bars. 4 bolts to change oil/filter.

The Givi bash plate attaches to the engine case so you can decide if that is a good idea or not.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I like the OEM centre stand, it works well and easy to deploy. I have the Givi bash plate....it's affordable and offers lightweight protection.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have the motech skid plate and am waiting on the motech center stand. I change the oil with the skid plate itpn place and it is a little messy but a little carb clean and it was all good!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Does anyone have the oem centerstand and a HT skid plate installed. I have a HT skid plate in the garage waiting for a rainy day to install and while looking at the parts noticed there may be a slight issue on the right hand side rear attachment.

·
Premium Member
4,293 Posts
I have the HT bash plate with OEM center stand. No problems installing it. It goes together pretty easily.

·
Registered
333 Posts
i have factory centre stand and think it's superb. Bashplate of choice is SW Motech which fits well with standard centre stand. I can change oil and filter without removing it

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Does anyone have the oem centerstand and a HT skid plate installed. I have a HT skid plate in the garage waiting for a rainy day to install and while looking at the parts noticed there may be a slight issue on the right hand side rear attachment.
I just ordered the HT bash plate and highway pegs about a week ago and still no shipping confirmation. How long from shipping to receiving did it take?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I was impressed by the delivery time. Got it in about a week.

·
Premium Member
4,293 Posts
My HT plate was back ordered, took about 2 weeks to ship but came quickly. Email them to find out. Be sure you ordered the mounting kit otherwise you just get the plate.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
I'm thinking maybe it's taking so long because I chose to get the bed liner type coating applied on it and that's like a $50 upgrade? Do they fabricate them as they are ordered?

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
My HT plate was back ordered, took about 2 weeks to ship but came quickly. Email them to find out. Be sure you ordered the mounting kit otherwise you just get the plate.
Yes, I got the mounting kit for the OEM crash bars as well as the highway pegs. After the ride to and from the Iron Horse last weekend, I'm in need of some highway pegs and cruise control both of which were ordered. Anyone mount the HT highway pegs to any of HT's recommended bash plates? I'm curious to know if the holes are pre-drilled or I will be making my own. (In the bash plate I mean)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Have you guys seen the Ravetech bash plate. I have their one on my 650 and its very good. I have seen the 1000 plate on their website, looks just as good. Price is spot on too.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Skid Plate

Hi guys, we are just about ready to launch the 1000 skid plate and have worked hard on getting a good design that mounts to the frame without the use of crash bars but is also does not interfere with crash bar installation. We have provided an oil drain hole but removal is quick and easy with only four bolts to take out.
The plate does cover the lower front head and also has a built in side stand switch guard. It's laser cut from 4mm aluminium and has internal flitch plates on the mid welded joint making it a very solid but light construction.
We are introducing this plate at $199.99 USD + shipping. With regards to shipping we use economy air Thailand Post and you country Postal service which works out to be very efficient, reliable and cost effective. If you register your details on our website Ravetech Motorcycle Accessories shipping costs will be calculated automatically for your location on the items of interest. Multi buys also save on shipping costs.

image upload no registration

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
BUMP

Center stand and skid plate (and crash bar) threads can always use more input. Especially since I'm in the market for all three :)

Tipsy

·
Registered
107 Posts
Another vote for the Suzuki center stand. Easy to use. For what it is worth, my Suzuki dealership made the comment that it was the best center stand he had dealt with. Don't have bash plate.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Touratech Skidplate

I installed the TT skidplate this week.
The good:
It is a well made plate and comes with nice high grade stainless hardware.

The BAD:
It is not compatible with the Arrow pipes right out of the box.
It does NOT have a drain hole for oil changes.

I put my own drain hole in the pan and had to modify the front mounting part by removing material from the plate that attached to the front of the skidpan.

overall I would go with the Ravetech plate over the TT both because of cost, and the idiotic nature of the TT plate not even have provisions for oil changes...really ???

The one thing I would like to see is a means of connecting the two front "Struts" so it would triangulate the whole thing a little better, if I bout one I would make up something to accomplish that.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts