StromTrooper banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I added an SW Motech centerstand last year (July). The last few times I rode the bike I heard something of an unusual noise just after starting out (and taking the bike off the center stand), but I couldn't see anything wrong.

Looking more closely, I put the bike on the side stand and took a closer look at the centerstand. Mechanically it was fine, but I noticed that it wasn't returning to the "up" position very solidly after pulling it down and letting it go. Sometimes it would pause or stop 1/2 way.

I cleaned and oiled the pivots, spring attachment points etc and now it springs back fast. I think the noise I heard before was the centerstand flipping up late (maybe even after I started moving). Obviously that could be pretty dangerous.

I've never really had a centerstand that needed frequent lubrication before, so I'm just mentioning this in case anyone would benefit from taking a look at their SW Motech stand. This bike hasn't seen real off road use (just some gravel), or even much on-road use in bad weather, so it hasn't been in an unusually harsh environment.

The Motech stand is otherwise just fine. Solid and easy to use. I think the geometry of it doesn't put a lot of return force on it though, even though the spring(s) are pretty strong. They just pull at an angle that doesn't apply a lot of return force. It may be more susceptible to sticking than some other designs or maybe it's just mine. Worth checking though.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
I just put the third SW Motech stand on my third Vstrom. This time I greased the pivots, beats oiling frequently.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm pretty sure I greased mine when I put it on, but I suppose it's possible I didn't. It's too long ago to remember for sure but my habit is to grease any parts that move!

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
I put Zerk grease fittings on mine.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just bought an 07 Wee a month ago that already had a center stand and the exact same thing happened to me. I started backing it out of the garage and the stand was dragging the pavement. I little squirt of grease and it pops right up now.

·
Registered
36 Posts
What great timing. Mine just did exactly the same thing after riding a wet gravel road on the weekend. I initially thought one of the springs may have broken. A liberal application of an aerosol lubricant fixed it immediately. I had used grease on the pivot points when installing it less than a year ago.

·
Registered
679 Posts
`
I'm installing my SW Motech centerstand this weekend. I have a tub of Sta-Lube multi-purpose super white grease and a tub of Bel-Ray waterproof (blue) grease.

Are either of these good to lube the centerstand? I don't feel like buying another tub (or tube) of grease if it isn't necessary. But I will if suggested. :cool1:

`

·
38,103 Posts
Go with the Bel-Ray.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts

·
38,103 Posts
I think I have them on mine, too.

I should verify this and buy a grease gun.
You do, two per pivot in fact as I didn't cut a grease channel in the pivot. The rear ones are a bit of a pain as you need to have the bike on the side stand and push the center stand down for access.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Keep an eye on the bolts too. I know of a one that fell off of a Wee, and one that was very loose when checked. I put blue loc-tite on my bolts when I installed it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts