1 - 20 of 28 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found two center stands for my DL1000K5:

• 1. Suzuki brand 42100-06840 Regular price: $174.95 ON Sale: $147.44
    2. SW-MOTECH Centerstand $149.95.
Does anyone know of any others, or which is best, as far as interfering with lean angle and quality of manufacture. :?:

·
Registered
725 Posts
I have the Motech centerstand myself. Installation was straightforward and it's very easy to use, the bike just pops right up on it with no effort at all. From what I understand about the OEM stand, you would be happy with either one. They are fairly comparable.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the SW myself. Word was that it had better ground clearance than the Suuki and that the sW Motech skid plate would not work with the Suzuki stand in place. Since I plan to get one of those plates I went with the SW. It went on easily, seems well made and works quite well.
I recall some remarks that the Suzuki stand offers more stability when deployed but have no idea if its true. IMHO, the SW has no stability problems.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have the Zuk model, all I can offer is that it takes one hell of a tug to get the bike up on the stand.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Joe S. said:
... the sW Motech skid plate would not work with the Suzuki stand in place.
That apparently used to be true, but is not the case anymore. I've heard the skid plate has been redesigned to work with either center stand.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The 2 stands offer trade offs. The SW is easier to use but somwwhat less stable.

The Suzuki stand is more stable but harder to use and drags in tunrs.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I haven't experienced any stability problems with the SWM stand. My only gripe about it would be the lack of clearance when trying to lean the bike back to get the front wheel off the ground. This is an acceptable tradeoff considering the very small effort required to get the bike on the stand.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I think it would be very hard to drag the SWM stand in a turn. It snugs up very close to the swingarm and is quite compact from side to side. I'm not the kind of rider that has to replace peg feelers every month but I have touched the left peg to pavement and had no problems with the stand.

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have got the stock suzuki stand. It does drag in the turns the factory kit even comes with a longer feeler to bolt on to the left foot peg. I have since bent the foot lever by repeated use of the stand. Not very impressive, the motech one I have seen and it looks a little shorter so it is easier to get the bike on the stand. If I had to do it again I would get a after market stand.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have the Motech stand. Nicely built, easy to get the bike up, stable, and doesn't drag in the corners...and I've tried. 8)

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hummm I don't understand this ....

My step son's 2002 had the SW Motech stand

I JUST had the dealer install a factory Suzuki center stand on my DL1000K5

His bike is harder to put up on the stand than my supposedly harder factory stand!

After reading all the complaints of how hard it was the 1st thing I did was try mine .. zoop .. up real easy :shock: WTF are people bitching about... :?:

Soooo I go over to my stepson's bike expecting some sort of magic, power assisted old lady effort required effort... But to my surprise it was harder than mine was.

Sooooo I think maybe his stand is not a SW stand.... I stoop down to check it to see if it is a factory one.. nope it has a SW Motech sticker and the thick cross bar on it...

Maybe they redesigned the "factory" center stand for the newer bikes is all I can think of...

I have not yet dragged anything yet, but I rarely drag my pegs anyway....

·
Registered
67 Posts
I just put a SW Motech centerstand on my 650. I notice it has two springs, a smaller one inside the large one. It's hard for me to put it up on the stand while I'm on the bike and I think the heavy duty spring action may be the reason. I'm also 5'8" which might have something to do with it. No problem getting it up on the stand when standing at the left side of the bike with my left hand holding the left grip, my right hand pulling on the rear rack and right foot pushing down on the stand.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Motech on my 6Fiddy....Only problems have been 1) a poorly brazed/welded pivot bushing (replaced by the vendor) and 2) a broken outer spring (also replaced No Charge).

Doesn't drag, EZ to put up and (knock on wood) so far very stable.

·
Registered
268 Posts
SW-Motech on my Big K. No problems here. Riding has been more aggressive after turning over 600 miles. Left side foot peg will drag before C-stand foot rest does.
No brag . . . just fact.

·
Registered
13 Posts
slowrider said:
It's hard for me to put it up on the stand while I'm on the bike.... No problem getting it up on the stand when standing at the left side of the bike with my left hand holding the left grip, my right hand pulling on the rear rack and right foot pushing down on the stand.
I've never seen anyone put any bike up on a center stand while on the bike. I've had 4 bikes with center stands -- all of which required the rider to do from the side.

If people can engage center stands while sitting on the bike, that's I trick I haven't learned. I'm not saying it can't be done -- just that I don't know how to do it!

·
Registered
67 Posts
GregS said:
I've never seen anyone put any bike up on a center stand while on the bike. I've had 4 bikes with center stands -- all of which required the rider to do from the side.

If people can engage center stands while sitting on the bike, that's I trick I haven't learned. I'm not saying it can't be done -- just that I don't know how to do it!
Well, I've never had a centerstand before. You made me feel a lot better about myself. I guess I'm not such a weakling after all!

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Engaging center stand is rather a matter of proper technique than frantic force. With right approach even a child can cope with the task. As to me I don't like center stands very much, for they lower effective ground clearance, although can warn about dangerous heights you pass before you can actually damage the exhausts.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
SW Motech here that works great, no dragging. I have dragged the peg feelers too.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts