StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Randy, they are very easy to install. The ONLY thing that may cause you some grief is installing the springs. For that I use a brake spring tool, but a #3 Phillips screwdriver will work also.
Pay attention to the orientation of the spring ends, and I use red loctite on all of the mounting bolts.

This stand is so much easier to deploy than the center stand on my '81 CB750K, or even my old 900 Ninja.
Funny thing...I installed mine, then raised the bike to try it out. I expected a fight, it literally jumped up on the center stand. Was great! But when I tried to take the bike off the center stand, the bike would just slide forward on my slick garage floor. Til I found that if I pulled the bike towards me from the left side it would stay stationary and retract the stand like RIGHT NOW. Easily one of the best additions to my '14 Vstrom1000.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tips. Dealer wanted $340 installed which I thought was stupid pricey. Installing springs can be tricky and they always have me wearing safety glasses

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here's a trick for installing springs. Insert coins between the coils to lengthen the spring to the desired length. Hook the ends, then remove the coins.

What a great idea! I can finally do something useful with a handful of pennies as well:wink2:

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
Just scored a OEM center stand on fleabay for $199 shipped. Hope they are easy to install.
Piece of cake, sort of. I should have the instructions (K6 Wee) somewhere if you need them.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is as good as time as many to buy a new tool so ordered a spring puller. Only a matter of time before I need one for the garden tractor or my Kioti with a front end loader and back hoe.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Big Boy, thanks for the "coins in the springs" trick! I am altering and replacing my side stand on my 14' Vee, and this trick will come in handy. Vautti

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Install was pretty easy. Read the instructions several times to understand what bolts and spacer to use on each side, pay attention to the spring placement, don’t tighten all the bolts until everything is together. I installed the rubber spacer before the part was on the bike which made it easier. And it would of been a royal PITA if I didn’t have a spring tool. Those springs take some serious effort to pull back.
End result, money well spent

·
Super Moderator
16,870 Posts
Good job sir, I won't own an adventure bike without a centerstand.

·
Registered
99 Posts
This is my homemade spring puller from a 5gal bucket. Worked great when I installed my center stand.

I originally devised it for putting exhaust springs on me GasGas.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 20 Posts