Strom Trooper banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
Center stand

+1

(FWIW, Walmart sells a motorcycle lift for around $50. A guy I work with recommended it to me. No help on the road, but good for home use.)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,684 Posts
Colin said:
You need to have the bike vertical to check the oil. That fact alone should make a center stand standard equipment. When you add the need to lubricate the chain there really is no excuse.
The center stand will not help you in checking the oil level. I thought the same but I was wrong. Have a look here.

But it is very useful for chain maintenance like lubing and setting.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,684 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
16,730 Posts
mokusbajusz said:
Colin said:
You need to have the bike vertical to check the oil. That fact alone should make a center stand standard equipment. When you add the need to lubricate the chain there really is no excuse.
The center stand will not help you in checking the oil level. I thought the same but I was wrong. Have a look here.

But it is very useful for chain maintenance like lubing and setting.
Don't agree.......mine is near perfect, when I checked it with my level. If I measure out the "exact" amount that the manual says to fill up the bike with.....my sight window is always right on the top fill mark everytime. I am checking my level in the garage, which I know to be pretty darn flat.

There really is no substitute for a bike that can have a centerstand. The Suzuki stand especially, will not usually affect ANY ground clearance. The rear shock is undersprung, even at full adjustment. The bike should NEVER sag enough to cause an issue.....if it does you need a better aftermarket shock.

I would hate to be without my centerstand, I agree that it should be standard equipment. Most sportbikes would never benefit from a stand, due to most owners not venturing far enough from home to be an issue.
They would also lose some beloved side clearance, which I am sure would cramp their style!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
184 Posts
I have the stand on mine, but if some of the market doesn't want it, and since it adds weight and reduces cornering clearance, making it optional seems like the best compromise.

Checking the oil does not require a centerstand - you simply kneel beside the bike on the right side, tip it off the sidestand to vertical, and watch the sight glass. No big deal. And since the Strom is not much of an oil burner, checking oil is not something that needs to be done often. For chain maintenance, it's a convenience, but not a necessity. And finally, the thing is damn heavy. So I completely understand why some owners don't want to make the tradeoff.

- Mark
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
184 Posts
torqueman said:
But the Strom is an Adventure Touring bike. How do you change a flat in BFE without a center stand?
Whether in BFE or Manhattan, no one "changes a flat" with a tubeless tire - you plug it and go on. Centerstands are handy, but hardly required to plug a hole.

- Mark
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,451 Posts
A center stand is also handy at the 7-11. Sit on the passenger seat, feet on crashbars and lean back on the top box. Coffee in hand, lite up if you smoke and watch the girls go by. Wink wink.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
482 Posts
markjenn said:
Whether in BFE or Manhattan, no one "changes a flat" with a tubeless tire - you plug it and go on. Centerstands are handy, but hardly required to plug a hole.

- Mark
Not "no one" and you can't plug a side wall (or even all tread blowouts.) In Manhattan I would call a truck. In the jungles of South American your only option is to break out the tire irons and "get er done."
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
184 Posts
torqueman said:
markjenn said:
Whether in BFE or Manhattan, no one "changes a flat" with a tubeless tire - you plug it and go on. Centerstands are handy, but hardly required to plug a hole.

- Mark
Not "no one" and you can't plug a side wall (or even all tread blowouts.) In Manhattan I would call a truck. In the jungles of South American your only option is to break out the tire irons and "get er done."
Is there a ready source of 100 psi air alongside the road in South America/BFE to seat the bead? Can you break the bead with hand tools? Believe me, if you have to dismount a tubeless tire and patch it from the inside on the side of the road, the lack of a centerstand is the least of your worries. And you can always use a local stump, log, rock, etc. to use as a stand, or have a buddy balance the bike on the sidestand while you remove the wheel. Or just flop the thing on it's side. On dirt bikes with tubed tires, I've done all of the above. One of the reasons I got the Strom over something like a KTM 950 was to avoid all this crap - you plug and go.

Virtually no one dismounts tubeless tires on the side of the road. It's just not done. And in any event, for every Strom that goes to South America, there's a thousand that never see a gravel road. So saying that a centerstand should be a standard feature so riders can repair sidewall punctures in South America is like saying that power winches should be standard equipment on every SUV.

- Mark
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
482 Posts
Virtually no one dismounts tubeless tires on the side of the road. It's just not done. And in any event, for every Strom that goes to South America, there's a thousand that never see a gravel road. So saying that a centerstand should be a standard feature so riders can repair sidewall punctures in South America is like saying that power winches should be standard equipment on every SUV.
Go over to avrider and check out some of the tire changing threads there. The technique for breaking the bead is the use the kickstand of your buddies bike. If not I guess you have to carry a portable bead breaker (C clamp works too.) The very least you would want to remove the wheel and have your buddy ride to the nearest town to get it fixed. Sure a rock will work if you can find one big enough laying around but a centersand is the best way.

Next time I change tires I will take some pictures for you. I admit I have not tried to inflate it with my portable inflator but others have done it. I guess I should try that before heading out to the jungles. :lol:

And I say if your SUV does not need a winch you should be driving something different. 8) Is a jack in vehicles an option because most people can't change their own tires? I do see your point but I think they should include it and the people who don't want it can remove it.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,684 Posts
Big B said:
mokusbajusz said:
Colin said:
You need to have the bike vertical to check the oil. That fact alone should make a center stand standard equipment. When you add the need to lubricate the chain there really is no excuse.
The center stand will not help you in checking the oil level. I thought the same but I was wrong. Have a look here.

But it is very useful for chain maintenance like lubing and setting.
Don't agree.......mine is near perfect, when I checked it with my level. If I measure out the "exact" amount that the manual says to fill up the bike with.....my sight window is always right on the top fill mark everytime. I am checking my level in the garage, which I know to be pretty darn flat.
Did you look at my pics? On the first the oil level is about in the middle of the two marks, on the 2nd is about at the full mark. However the IMO considerably big difference in my case is perhaps because I have lowering links installed!?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
184 Posts
torqueman said:
Go over to avrider and check out some of the tire changing threads there. The technique for breaking the bead is the use the kickstand of your buddies bike. If not I guess you have to carry a portable bead breaker (C clamp works too.) The very least you would want to remove the wheel and have your buddy ride to the nearest town to get it fixed. Sure a rock will work if you can find one big enough laying around but a centersand is the best way.

Next time I change tires I will take some pictures for you. I admit I have not tried to inflate it with my portable inflator but others have done it. I guess I should try that before heading out to the jungles. :lol:

And I say if your SUV does not need a winch you should be driving something different. 8) Is a jack in vehicles an option because most people can't change their own tires? I do see your point but I think they should include it and the people who don't want it can remove it.
Well, go ahead and try dismounting a tubless tire, patching it, re-installing it, and getting the bead to seat without high-PSI air on the side of the road. I'm not saying it's never been done, but it's so out of the realm of normal possibilities with average motorcyclists that's it is totally ridiculous to even consider making a centerstand standard equipment for this reason. Chain lubing, general maintenance, as a shop stand, yes, you can make an argument, but your biking to Tierra del Fuego scenario just isn't on the radar screen.

Your comment about SUVs is equally ridiculous. So 10 million annual SUV buyers who don't regularly off-road in winch-country are all driving the wrong vehicle and the mfgs should penalize them by including a 50-lb expensive piece of equipment on each one that nobody wants? We're talking about what Suzuki should do to meet market demand, not personal prejudices about what bikes (and cars) people should be buying.

Don't get me wrong - I have a centerstand on my Strom and I consider it very handy. That's not the point. The point is whether every buyer should have to buy it as standard equipment whether they want it or not.

I think Suzuki is probably doing the right thing here - if you did a survey, I think you'd see probably about an even split between folks who want a centerstand and those that don't want the expense, weight, and reduced cornering clearance. So having it optional probably makes the most sense. If Suzuki didn't offer it as an option, then I'd be peeved, but what can possibly be wrong with offering the choice of with or without?

- Mark
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
16,730 Posts
Did you look at my pics? On the first the oil level is about in the middle of the two marks, on the 2nd is about at the full mark. However the IMO considerably big difference in my case is perhaps because I have lowering links installed!?
Yup...I saw the pics! Hey, maybe one of your legs is shorter than the other! :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
482 Posts
markjenn said:
Your comment about SUVs is equally ridiculous. So 10 million annual SUV buyers who don't regularly off-road in winch-country are all driving the wrong vehicle and the mfgs should penalize them by including a 50-lb expensive piece of equipment on each one that nobody wants?

You must have missed the smiley face with that comment.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
184 Posts
torqueman said:
markjenn said:
Your comment about SUVs is equally ridiculous. So 10 million annual SUV buyers who don't regularly off-road in winch-country are all driving the wrong vehicle and the mfgs should penalize them by including a 50-lb expensive piece of equipment on each one that nobody wants?
You must have missed the smiley face with that comment.
I did, sorry to be so pissey. This thread has just hit on one of my hot buttons on vehicle forums - the "I do/don't use X on my WhizBang 2000, so everybody else should/shouldn't also," attitude. Riders are different. Choice is good. Yes, Suzuki could have made the centerstand standard and spared us the hassle of dealing with those damn springs, but overall, I think they made the best decision given the price point of the Strom and what the market wants.

Ride on,

- Mark
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,684 Posts
Big B said:
Did you look at my pics? On the first the oil level is about in the middle of the two marks, on the 2nd is about at the full mark. However the IMO considerably big difference in my case is perhaps because I have lowering links installed!?
Yup...I saw the pics! Hey, maybe one of your legs is shorter than the other! :lol:
Definitely, the one in the middle... 8)
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top