StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want a center stand and being "thrifty" and not happy with Gillette razor blade prices in the moto world could not bring myself to pay SW Motech or OEM prices. Found Happy Trails and almost pulled the trigger. BUT, then found the reincarnation of Murph's stand, which is a copy of the OEM I believe, on Amazon for 96 bucks. Have it on the way and will post the impressions when installed.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BUIC176/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Just to calibrate, on Amazon the SWM is $360 after tax and the OEM is $328. That's 6% of what I paid for the entire DL650 Adventure (including OEM side cases) with 4600 miles on the Odo. So an even trade for my bike would be 16.6 center stands. My ego can't get the better part of my intellect on this one.

This stand is priced in line with its' function and complexity. If it works of course. Will let you know how it goes!

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
That’s pretty cheap. The reviews are good. I might get one to. Plus free shipping on amazon prime.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It actually arrived yesterday! I was away, camping in the wilds and waking up to a bear rummaging around at 1 AM so didn't get much sleep and didn't look at the thing with a microscope when I unpacked it an hour ago. But it looks OK out of the box. I will go through the hardware tomorrow and decide if it is usable. Thinking stainless would be an upgrade.
Will install in the next 48 hours and give you a report.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK. Got it installed, with some tweaking, and it seems to be sturdy and works as required.
The left (shifter side) bushing point bound when installed so I had to remove the bracket and place washers between the pivot point and the bracket to expand the bushing slot. After that it swung freely. The right side internal bushing wouldn't go in by hand so pressed it in with a vise. That's the sum of the fiddling. It is not perfectly executed but I expect it will function properly and I saved a bunch of money. If a problem develops downstream I will let you know. But I expect it will be a solid addition.

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
OK. Got it installed, with some tweaking, and it seems to be sturdy and works as required.
The left (shifter side) bushing point bound when installed so I had to remove the bracket and place washers between the pivot point and the bracket to expand the bushing slot. After that it swung freely. The right side internal bushing wouldn't go in by hand so pressed it in with a vise. That's the sum of the fiddling. It is not perfectly executed but I expect it will function properly and I saved a bunch of money. If a problem develops downstream I will let you know. But I expect it will be a solid addition.
Thank you very much for sharing. Does this share the lean angle clearance issue (or maybe it's a non-issue) of the OEM stand?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Thanks, I also ordered this stand. I'll post my impressions also, after I install.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bummer. From behind the bike leans to the right. Not much but obvious enough that any engineer on the project would be relegated to the shipping department for this error. Still usable for my needs though so I am not taking it off and recycling. I suggest looking into Happy Trails to anyone wanting to save bucks now. It runs around $160. And I assume it goes on easily and keeps the bike straight.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have an HT stand....

I have the Happy Trails stand. Not sure but it is likely a bit narrower than OEM. Stable enough for chain and rear wheel maintenance. Had trouble with one of the supplied mounting bolts breaking shortly after install but HT sent replacements and has been good for many years now.

Sp56

·
Registered
7 Posts
Bummer. From behind the bike leans to the right. Not much but obvious enough that any engineer on the project would be relegated to the shipping department for this error. Still usable for my needs though so I am not taking it off and recycling. I suggest looking into Happy Trails to anyone wanting to save bucks now. It runs around $160. And I assume it goes on easily and keeps the bike straight.
I just ordered this, hmmm should I install or return it? Just how bad is the lean? Would it be possible to shim under the pad that hits the ground? Thanks for feedback

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
If any of you find that this cost effective alternative is not up to your standards I have a genuine Suzuki center stand I removed from my 2013 DL650 f/s.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The only way to "shim" this is to weld a small piece on the bottom of the right support. Nothing can be altered up top.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts