StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's quite a price difference between the Murph's and the Motech. Any opinions or experience as to why? Of course I want to save money, but I want a good center stand too.

·
Registered
302 Posts
There's quite a price difference between the Murph's and the Motech. Any opinions or experience as to why? Of course I want to save money, but I want a good center stand too.
The SW Motech is a great stand. AFAIK - nobody here has had a problem with one, and I love mine. The Murph's is a bit more hit or miss. Many people here have used them and been very happy with them. A few have had problems with fitment or weld quality.

·
Registered
5,629 Posts
I put one on my '12, easy install, looks and works fine as far as I can tell. It's a hunk of metal, shaped and fit to lift the rear tire off the ground, I ain't gonna examine it for it's beauty or elegance of manufacture, fit or finish.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Murphs Stand

I put a Murphs stand on my 08 weestrom. It lifts the wheel off the ground just like the sw motech will. I read other troopers comments about the quality of the welds, but mine appears to be perfect. I thought it was worth the chance of saving $70. If you receive it and your not happy, murph will refund your money. Seems like a no brainer to me. Mine was $122 shipped to my door.:thumbup:

I put one on my '12, easy install, looks and works fine as far as I can tell. It's a hunk of metal, shaped and fit to lift the rear tire off the ground, I ain't gonna examine it for it's beauty or elegance of manufacture, fit or finish.

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
I've had a Murphs for over three yrs now and no problem and no clearance issues with aggressive riding. I use it every time a park and the only problem is the sandblasting effect of road debris. The rust is starting to show up but a quick scrub and cheap can of paint it will be as good as new. It may not look as elegant as the SW but it works.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I have the Murph's stand. It works great. If you do receive a faulty stand, Murph will take care of you as well. I have personal experience with this and I have yet to hear of a customer he has not taken care of.

·
Registered
52 Posts
If Murph's is a copy of the OEM, it will touch down on moderately aggressive let hand turns. The SW Motech stand supposedly does not. I have neither-just what I have read

·
Registered
217 Posts
If Murph's is a copy of the OEM, it will touch down on moderately aggressive let hand turns. The SW Motech stand supposedly does not. I have neither-just what I have read
Yes, but this was only an issue for me when my bike was loaded down with gear and the wife and I. Only then did I scrape. I have also heard that you lose clearance with the SW Motech stand and as much as mine squats when it's loaded down, I think I would rather lose the cornering than the clearance.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I just put a Motech center stand on my 1000, well made piece that fits great.

·
Premium Member
3,419 Posts
I put a motech on my DR650 and it appeared to be a quality item so I chose it for my DL as well.

·
Registered
44 Posts
The Murphs' kit comes with a replacement post for your footpeg to warn you of the difference in clearance on the left side, it is about 5/8 inch longer than the factory/stock peg.

·
Registered
302 Posts
The Murphs' kit comes with a replacement post for your footpeg to warn you of the difference in clearance on the left side, it is about 5/8 inch longer than the factory/stock peg.
Honestly, that would be a non-starter for me. The stock peg feelers are far too easy to drag already.

·
Premium Member
715 Posts
Had my Murph's for 3 years, no problems. I've scraped both pegs a few times (not the stand)... but yeah something with more clearance is worth considering.

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
Price Gouging

The price of the SW Motec Centerstand for '04 thru '11 DL650 owners has been increased to $223.99 at all retail websites, while the price for '12 DL650 owners is $179.99. These prices have been verified by a call to Twisted Throttle.

It's this kind of thing about motorcycling that sickens me.

Murph's has his on sale for $120, total cost, shipping included. I ordered mine from there.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Got a Murphs to replace my bent and busted Suzuki one. Fitment was the same, but the Murphs required a LOT more grease on the pivot points, and a couple of weeks to settle in. Now it's perfect. The Suzuki version may have better hardware, but the Murphs stand is indistinguishable from the original, and at half the price. I'm happy with mine.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I paid 223.99 for my SW a few weeks ago and am happy with it. Have never used or seen any of the others.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have the SWMotech on my '05 and it still works like a champ.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts