StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I just purchased a 2012 650 w/ABS and 4k mikes which will be going in for the recall tomorrow.

There are a couple of upgrades I'll like to do right away and giving the number of options, I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction to make it as painless as possible.

The pervious owner added some nice options (I think) but the bike doesn't have hand grips guards or a center stand. My hopes are to ride both hard surface and lite off rode. Recommendations on both are greatly appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
376 Posts
Can't remember what centrestand I fitted, but you most certainly should go with "Barkbuster" hand guards. I drop my Wee regularly ( yesterday the latest, approaching a "main" road from a very downhill side road....enormous cambers & a new layer of big gravel ...straight up & across and sideways into the ditch...bugger. ) & between them and Givi engine guards the bike isn't even scratched. The Barkbusters aren't the cheapest ones out there but they do the job. I've learned that picking the wee up gets much easier with practice !

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply. I've seem them demo'ed on You Tube. Given the tendency for these bike to fall over, I should probably go for the one with the full aluminum backbone.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I just bought a new 2014 650 ABS a few weeks ago and last week I added handguards and a centerstand. My choices:

1.Barkbusters Storm Handguards. I've had Barkbusters on my DR650 for several years, through many, many drops and crashes. They help keep the bars from bending, protect the levers, and are tough. Installation is fairly simple, although there is some room for confusion. Do a search on this site for tips. In particular, read about how to take the OEM bars weights off.

2. SWMotech center stand. This stand works very well, literally stand up on the foot and the bike goes up and back- no pulling, no lifting needed. It is a very simple design and really is 'bolt-on'. A pleasure, actually, to install. I don't plan on using this bike off road, I kept the DR650 for that, so I don't have a skidplate. I'm not sure what skidplates would be compatible with which stands. If you're planning to get off-highway you'll be wanting crash bars, skidplate, etc and they will need to be compatible, obviously.

.................shu

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Barkbusters you installed, did it have the full aluminum brace that connected to the handlebar grip and handlebar? I read on some models the master cylinder may prevent you from that style.

OEM bar weights? Not read anything about that. What does that accomplish?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Yes, the Storm or VPS model both have the same full aluminum bar. I had no trouble fitting them on my bike. (I have the handlebars rotated about as far back as they will go, and the controls rotated slightly down.) You can rotate the master cylinder up out of your way while you work on the Barkbuster and then rotate it back in place when you're done.

The Barkbusters come with end weights of their own, so you remove the OEM bar weights when you install them. The trick to removing them is to loosen the screw a few turns and then tap the assembly in to loosen the plug. There's all kinds of stuff that can get loose inside the bar if you just remove the screw from the end and pull.

.................shu

·
Premium Member
4,693 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
OEM Handguards and SW Motech Centerstand

I have the OEM Handguards. I'll have to admit I didn't think about how they would or wouldn't protect the bars in a crash. I was only thinking about the amount of coverage they would provide my hands from the elements and from brush. For that, I'm satisfied.

Regarding the SW Motech center stand: it works well, doesn't interfere with the side stand, and doesn't look likely to cause problems on hard leaning turns. It does takeaway about 1/2" to 3/4" ground clearance though. I find that I have to stand on it with all my weight and - depending on the surface - still help the bike a little by lifting on the grab bar on the left rear of the seat.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Should have mentioned that my bike is a 2015 DL650XT.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I just bought a new 2014 650 ABS a few weeks ago and last week I added handguards and a centerstand. My choices:

1.Barkbusters Storm Handguards.

2. SWMotech center stand.
+1 on both products.

I bought the SWmotech stand for my 2006 Wee (now my son's bike) and it works better than the Suzuki factory centerstand on my new bike.
Have the Barkbusters Storm, very solid, bike fell over while stopped on the roadside, no damage at all.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for explaining that in more detail. Will start looking for the best deal on them.
Thanks

·
Registered
202 Posts
Engine guard, a lot of folks mention Givi as a good brand, any suggestions?

Thanks

I installed SW Motech guards and skid plate. The install went quickly and they paid attention to the little things like nylon thread nuts, so when (not if) the bolts loosen, they don't fall out. Bummer Suzuki didn't think of hat--had to replace my upper fairing bracket bolt the other day.

I'm about to order a center stand from vstroma--$100 cheaper than the others and seems to have good reviews.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts