StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am looking to buy the rear bike stand to change my own oil and they look to be 100.00, plus I would have to store it somewhere. So I was wondering if you use your center stand to change your oil.
If so what one do you have? My farkle list is short so I don’t think I would be limited there.
I need to justify the 200.00 for a center stand. I park my bike on a slight decline at both home and work so I can only see using the center stand when parking at other places or need to park in a different spot at work. Plus with a center stand I wouldn't have to worry about rolling it every time I wanted to change my oil or have to find a place to keep it stored.

Looking at the Happy trails and the SW-MOTECH center stand. Is one better than the other?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Changing the oil from the factory installed side stand is easy...you don't need a center stand for that. Just place the drain pan under the drain plug and filter and have at it. After the oil quits dripping out I tip the bike to an upright position and then lean it over against the stand again...this isn't necessary but it does get a little more used oil out.

Chain maintenance is also easy from the side stand. Put the bike on a flat hard surface. Place a floor jack under the edge of the rear link opposite the side stand and jack it up just enough to lift the rear tire off the ground. I was a little concerned the first time I tried it but my bike is very stable when done correctly and there isn't much extra load placed on the side stand.

·
$orry $ucka
476 Posts
I use the centerstand when changing my oil. I end up on the sidestand though to get out as much of the old oil as possible. You'll be happy with any of the available varieties. They're all pretty similar.

You could always turn your bike around when parking and then you'd be on an incline!

·
Registered
875 Posts
A centerstand is a must on a V-Strom IMO. I won't ride a street bike without one. Chain maintenance is SOOO much easier with a center stand, oil changes a breeze. Get one.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
A centerstand is a must on a V-Strom IMO. I won't ride a street bike without one. Chain maintenance is SOOO much easier with a center stand, oil changes a breeze. Get one.
Gee, how on earth did I get through 34k miles, a dozen oil changes, and 75 chain lubes without one? :)

It makes some things easier. It also has disadvantages (gets in the way of some things, adds weight, might reduce cornering clearance).

For road trip chain maintenance, consider a PackJack, Lift&Lube, or similar.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
I park my bike on a slight decline at both home and work so I can only see using the center stand when parking at other places or need to park in a different spot at work.
The bike will always be less stable on a center stand. It is most stable on the side stand with the bar locked left. This makes the widest tripod possible. There is really no point at all in buying a center stand just for parking.

Plus with a center stand I wouldn't have to worry about rolling it every time I wanted to change my oil or have to find a place to keep it stored.
A velcro strap, nylon lashing strap, or any similar device on the front brake lever is all you need to take care of that. I use an REI velcro pack strap. Some folks use electrical wire wraps.

Having the bike upright for some work is nice, but in many of those cases, you need access to undercarriage bits that the center stand will block. I personally don't think the cost and disadvantages are worth the very limited benefit. I use a Vortex rear stand for some things, and a tiedown system for others.

YMMV. Cheers! -d

·
Registered
77 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
I have a center stand on my Wee, my wife does not on her Wee. I like the center stand, it is just easier in the garage to work on any and all parts of my bike. No hassels with jacks etc. I am also not a good enough rider to be able to get the max handling out of my bike, so I do not notice the weight at all and if I did it is low weight as opposed to my 210 lbs up top. Also I have not yet scrapped anything on the Wee, I could get sparks out of the 01 Wing. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
From memory draining the oil is supposed to be done on the side stand as the drain plug is on the left and doesn't fully drain the crankcase if the bike is up on the centre stand.

·
Premium Member
4,497 Posts
I use the centerstand when changing my oil. I end up on the sidestand though to get out as much of the old oil as possible. You'll be happy with any of the available varieties. They're all pretty similar.
Same here. The Wee is always on the centerstand (OEM) in the garage. I find it easier to load up and go or to work on.

Changing oil on the side stand isn't a problem but chain maintenance is whole lot easier with a centerstand.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
The centerstand plus a Park-n-Move is great for wheeling the bike around in a tight garage. Otherwise the centerstand is a big convenience that can be worked-around if you don't have it.

(Not my pic.)

·
Premium Member
3,132 Posts
....the centerstand is a big convenience....
Indeed it is.....especially for lubing the chain. While on the centerstand, motor running, hand on clutch, I'll let the rear wheel spin slowly as I douse the inside rollers on the chain as it magically rotates below the lube straw.....1 minute tops! Unless you are a complete dolt, there's no danger of losing fingertips.

That aside, after looking at the happy trails Centerstand, I'm not too keen on the stamped tubing where it meets the mounting brackets. I prefer the straight cut/welded design of the SW-M sidestand [the one I currently own]. Easy to get the bike up onto, and it tucks in remarkably well [also less spendy]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts