StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ordered some Tusk Panniers a few days ago, and I'm in the market for a similar top box. Unfortunately Tusk doesn't seem to make one. Any recommendations on a similarly priced aluminum box that is available quick? I've currently got a factory Suzuki plastic box and mount on the back, but it isn't quite big enough and I'd rather have something metal. Have a line on something used, but the seller isn't ready to sell just the one box yet and I don't have a lot of time to wait.

·
Premium Member
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't know if Solo box is still in bidness.
Thanks
That might be an option, not a huge fan of trying to deal with people/companies who think that a facebook page is a reasonable way to do business. But the price on the top box is ok depending on dimensions, their side boxes cost 2x what the Tusk stuff sells for.

·
Premium Member
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fedex guy just dropped these off. Look pretty decent. One rocks a little, but since it'll be hanging - who cares. For $211 for the pair I'm not complaining.

Just need to wait for the adapter plates that I bought to modify and I can see about hanging these things.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
What racks are you mounting them too? There may have some alternate/better mounting option. Happy Trails makes nice pucks or you can do the DIY hockey puck method.

Also while they are new and not sun baked the Tusk stickers peel off very easily.

·
Premium Member
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What racks are you mounting them too? There may have some alternate/better mounting option. Happy Trails makes nice pucks or you can do the DIY hockey puck method.

Also while they are new and not sun baked the Tusk stickers peel off very easily.
The bike came with GIVI PL racks, and that is what the Adapter plates I bought were for. Havn't totally decided how removable I want to make them, I think I'd be pretty OK with just removing 3 bolts with a wrench if I ever wanted them off.

The motech plates showed up a couple minutes ago. For $20 they are an easy template/mounting bracket

Attachments

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Are the Givi PL racks made of tubular steel? If so the Happy Trails mount puck would work really well. Use 4 per pannier 2 bottom 2 top. Bottoms always stay tops are loosened to swing down and the pannier can be removed. I uses allen bolts and just lets a allen wrench in the pannier. Could also do the same with a hex head bolt just but a cheap wrench and leave in the pannier.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Are the Givi PL racks made of tubular steel? If so the Happy Trails mount puck would work really well. Use 4 per pannier 2 bottom 2 top. Bottoms always stay tops are loosened to swing down and the pannier can be removed. I uses allen bolts and just lets a allen wrench in the pannier. Could also do the same with a hex head bolt just but a cheap wrench and leave in the pannier.
The givi racks already have threaded holes that I can hit from a bolt inside the panniers, no need for any additional pieces.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I recently noticed Moose Racing makes a nice looking, reasonably priced top box

·
Premium Member
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Picked up $10 worth of metric hardware this morning and got the second box mounted. Only remaining task is to build the lower connector bar that is missing from my givi racks. Maybe get to that tonight.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Here is also a nice little addition to the Tusks to illuminate the interior. IT a 7" long undercounter LED light bar with low/high and strobe. From everyone favorite place, Harbor Freight. Fits perfectly under the short side of the large pannier above the acorn nuts holding the latch on.

I have used one of these on another bikes panniers for over a year with good success.

I'll post up pictures later tonight of the actual setup

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My favorite feature of the tusk box so far is that you can fit a full sized brown paper grocery bag in there as long as you don't get too carried away filling it up ;)

If I don't wind up getting the centerbox that a member has for sale, I decided on a Kappa KGR52N. Not exactly the same boxy style as the tusk bags, but a ton of space. Basically the same case that Givi sells as the Trekker 52, but with a $200ish price tag.

·
Premium Member
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Decision done. Guy wanted to sell his set of panniers and top box together, so there is a Kappa 52, backrest and the givi mount that fits it winging its way from Italy. Never ceases to amaze me that I can buy Kappa/Givi stuff from Italian online resellers cheaper than I can get it from anywhere in the states. All the givi stuff on my other bike came direct from Italy too.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Large but even the mediums you could put the light on the side as it does not stick out past the sealing lip.

Another interesting thing is the light is magnetic and there must me some steel in the rubber molding as that is all thats holding the light up. I'm going to run it to see if it stays put. If not it comes with sticky back Velcro.

I like the quick removability of the light in case I need to use it somewhere other than inside the pannier. Simply pluck it out and illuminate whatever I need too.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts