StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Coming home yesterday from visiting a friend in the VA hospital in Tuskeegee Al. Turned south on hwy 431 in Eufaula--got up to about 40 mph. I was in the right lane on the 4 lane when I see a big black Suburban crossing over from the other side of the 4 lane.
I keep my eye on him and remember thinking " he sees me because he's looking right at me and he's not going to pull across in front of me " and then thinking " CRAP!--he's on his cellphone ".
Yep--pulls his big ole butt right out in front of me. All I had time to do was grab a big handful or front brake and swerve to the right.--It was close but fortunately he finally did stop--right in the middle of both southbound lanes.
The abs on the 2012 Wee worked perfectly--modulated and kept the front from locking up and putting me on my butt. It did bark the front tire a couple of times but never locked up and skidded and I stayed in complete control. Without the abs it would have been ugly.
2 important things to remember here:

1-- the abs works very well

2--just because someone is looking right at you doesn't mean he or she won't pull on out and mess up your day

Oh yeah-almost forgot---if your driving your cage GET OFF THE PHONE AND PAY ATTENTION!

·
Registered
99 Posts
I was in the passing lane on an interstate and the car I was passing pulled over into my lane. I was running about 70, he was on his cell phone. Fortunately, I was expecting this may happen and was able to slow and swerve left.

Most phones now have a GPS device. Manufacturers need to build the phones so they are disabled if moving faster than a few miles per hour.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Most phones now have a GPS device. Manufacturers need to build the phones so they are disabled if moving faster than a few miles per hour.
If they did that, passengers, people on public transit, etc. wouldn't be able to use their phones. Hackers would soon defeat it. At some point, old phones would become "illegal," forcing upgrades, phones would become incrementally more expensive.

We don't need more laws, IMO. We need to start spanking jack-holes and stop forgiving/ allowing stupidity.
Let's start here: getting (and keeping) a driver's license in the USA is a joke - it's more about the state collecting revenue than ensuring safe driving. Why is that? Why do we allow that to continue?

We'll allow a 17 y.o. with ADD, surging testosterone, and no experience - piloting a multi-ton rental truck - to "share" the road with me on and my m/c; but if my wife calls to tell me to pick up milk on the way home, THAT poses an unacceptable danger?

·
Registered
964 Posts
OP: Glad everything worked and you escaped unharmed!!

I'm betting the fact that you saw him and were expecting something played into the positive outcome!:yesnod:

Thanks for taking the time to post your experience. My Wee is the first bike I've owned with ABS - it's good to hear that it wil save your bacon. I know there are many who feel it's actually dangerous on a bike.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Glad you're o.k.! I too have had a REAL close call, not cell phone related that time- and the ABS saved my A$$ Cheers--BB

·
Registered
163 Posts
Best recent recent quote seen floating around FB. "Turn your cell phone off and concentrate on being a shitty driver".

I recently had someone pull out in front of me at a T intersection. I was coming down the road, vehicle was stopped at the T, (speed limit was 30mph) they pulled right in front of me to go left (opposite direction from me. I don't believe abs was activated. Some people are simply bad drivers. This person's head was turned in my direction as they pulled in front of me. I wasn't going fast enough for her to have not seen me, she just... I don't know what the hell she was thinking.

·
Registered
163 Posts
OP: Glad everything worked and you escaped unharmed!!

I'm betting the fact that you saw him and were expecting something played into the positive outcome!:yesnod:

Thanks for taking the time to post your experience. My Wee is the first bike I've owned with ABS - it's good to hear that it wil save your bacon. I know there are many who feel it's actually dangerous on a bike.
Having recently completed a motorcycle safety class, it confirmed some of my riding habits. One is like the original poster's behavior - always be aware of traffic, other drivers and road conditions, give yourself a safety margin (time/space to react), SEE - Search, Evaluate, Execute.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Glad you made it out of there without incident. ABS is great in a panic situation, especially when wet. Just be careful, I don't know if you were braking while swerving or leaned over but remember ABS is not magic it works better straight up.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Had a similar situation happen 32 years ago while I was on my KZ1000 ( complete with color matched Vetter frame mount fairing and side bags--and 8 track tape player in the dash ). Front end locked up and it was all over with.
Picked gravel out of my back for a couple of weeks. I think all the hide grew back about 2-3 months later. Busted a fullface Bell helmet wide open but saved me from any facial injuries.
Since then I've been pretty aware of vehicles in my space--or even close to it.

·
Premium Member
1,929 Posts
I'm so sick of drivers not paying attention. Almost every time I go out there's some sort of incident. I'm thinking about having a bag of gravel handy to throw at their vehicle to get them to wake up.:furious:

·
Registered
618 Posts
Old ball/rollers from bearings work great!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
22 Posts
Glad youre ok,thats the main thing. In Alberta Canada we now have a Distracted driving law. Its supposed to stop people from using the handheld cellphone and use bluetooth. Guess what ... it slowed people down for about a week everyday same old same old, people in cages with the ^%$^# phone stuck to their ear waving with the other hand to express their point to whoever they are talking to and NOT watching the road!:furious:

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
Eye contact is not brain contact. There is a difference between seeing something and noticing it.

The extra loud horns I prefer are the Fiamm Freeway Blaster pair (also sold under the NAPA label). They seem to be more reliable than the Stebel Nautilus, and is Stebel out of bankruptcy and producing again? The goal is to startle the driver so much that the phone flips out their open window. You get half credit if they drop it to the floor.

Always, always, always assume that every driver will do something stupid in front of you and have your escape route planned.

·
Registered
194 Posts
OK- so no new law, but a better lawyers. Make sure your lawyer gets the phone records so you can settle a big award to support your family after the bastards kills or maims you.

If they did that, passengers, people on public transit, etc. wouldn't be able to use their phones. Hackers would soon defeat it. At some point, old phones would become "illegal," forcing upgrades, phones would become incrementally more expensive.

We don't need more laws, IMO. We need to start spanking jack-holes and stop forgiving/ allowing stupidity.
Let's start here: getting (and keeping) a driver's license in the USA is a joke - it's more about the state collecting revenue than ensuring safe driving. Why is that? Why do we allow that to continue?

We'll allow a 17 y.o. with ADD, surging testosterone, and no experience - piloting a multi-ton rental truck - to "share" the road with me on and my m/c; but if my wife calls to tell me to pick up milk on the way home, THAT poses an unacceptable danger?

·
Registered
964 Posts
OK- so no new law, but a better lawyers. ...
Cecil, Cecil, Cecil....we don't need MORE lawyering, we need LESS.

Want to fix society? Make it legal to punch someone in the face.... but if - and ONLY if - "they deserve it."

A punchee can sue you for unjust punchery, based on his belief that "he DIDN'T 'deserve' it." The jury is composed of 12 dudes who served in WWII or Korea, and if the jury decides the guy DID deserve it, they get to punch the guy, too, and he has to pay all court costs and buy the vets lunch.
If it turns out the punchEE didn't deserve it (some douchebag is going around punching people without good reason), the punchER gets a beat-down from the jury, a kick in the jimmies from the plaintiff, and has to pay all costs, including medical.

Society would get really polite overnight.

·
Registered
964 Posts
In this context, for example: under the phoenixsteve system, you would be within your rights to drag the driver out of their car, punch them in the face, then be on your way.

How many times would a driver have to get punched in the face before they'd start paying attention?

My guess: between zero and one, depending on IQ. Knowing there's no recourse, and knowing there's plenty more out there where that one came from will keep 'em in line.

·
Registered
556 Posts

Want to fix society? Make it legal to punch someone in the face.... but if - and ONLY if - "they deserve it."

A punchee can sue you for unjust punchery, based on his belief that "he DIDN'T 'deserve' it." The jury is composed of 12 dudes who served in WWII or Korea, and if the jury decides the guy DID deserve it, they get to punch the guy, too, and he has to pay all court costs and buy the vets lunch.
If it turns out the punchEE didn't deserve it (some douchebag is going around punching people without good reason), the punchER gets a beat-down from the jury, a kick in the jimmies from the plaintiff, and has to pay all costs, including medical.

BRILLIANT!

Escape the cage!

·
Registered
74 Posts
My attorney (who also rides) finally talked me into a Contour camera for my helmet. I am not to ride without it - even during my commute to work.

Just because all the other drivers just simply do not care to actually just drive anymore...

·
Registered
27 Posts

I'm soooo on board for this phoenixsteve!! I live in San Jose, CA. Hub of the Silicon Valley. Cell phone up to every ear even though we have a law against it. And everyone texts and drives. I live 15.2 miles from work....if I drive my truck it takes me about an hour. On the Vstrom, 20-30 min. And that's almost all freeway. All kinds of accidents every single day. It's sad.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts