StromTrooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Never thought I'd be posting the likes of this.

I'm just home from visiting my lucky-to-be-alive friend who is recovering in the hospital from a head-on collision Monday afternoon while out riding his treasured late sixties-vintage BMW R69. The 92 y.o. driver of the Cadillac was cited for failure to use care while turning onto a roadway.

My friend is pretty banged up and has undergone several surgeries so far to his left ankle and leg and his doc told me that thanks to the full-face helmet he was wearing he sustained no injuries to his head. Unfortunately the rest of his riding outfit was comprised of running shoes, jeans and a t-shirt.

He was in a VERY dark place today when I visited...I've never seen him so glum. Understandably so, I guess, but this is a guy who ALWAYS is super positive and upbeat. I'm hoping and praying that as he begins to heal he'll see come to realize that he is damn lucky to be alive.

Today is his 65th birthday.

Be careful out there Fellow Riders.

·
Premium Member
2,281 Posts
Aus,
Thanks for sharing. So sorry to hear of yet another accident. It sounds like your friend will recover, albiet with battle scars. What else can be said - atgatt, ride defensively, stay far away from other drivers and have good luck.

Oh, and what would be so wrong with competency testing for motor vehicle driving as we age?

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As a result of his accident, a mutual friend has already decided to ditch his "bucket" helmet and invest in a full-face model. He's also thinking of going ATGATT, as well. So, you see, some good is already coming out of my pal's misfortune.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Best of luck to your friend. If he was in generally good physical health before the accident I suspect (and hope) he'll recover from the injuries and that the depression will go away with time - hopefully a rather small amount of time.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Aus, sorry to hear about your friend, I pray for a full recovery. I'm in the process of getting my 87 year old mother off the road, this makes me more convinced I'm doing the right thing.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Hi Aus,
Very sorry to hear of your friend's mishap. My brother recently had a minor run in when passing a car on the right that had his left turn signal on, but decided to take a right instead! He's ok. Just points out......trust nobody in a cage ( or another bike for that matter ). I think that certainly, your friend's injuries may have been lessened with proper gear, but in a head on, the gear might not save you from broken bones, or internal injuries which are due to sudden deceleration. I do subscribe to ATGATT, as I saw all the motorcycle riders did at the Mohawk camp out. I do feel more confidance in a fellow rider if I see he's properly geared up. Shows a mindset that I subscribe to. Anyway, along with others here, I pray for your friends speedy recovery, body, mind, and spirit. And that he joins us at the next camp out!
Ride safe, all.
gary

·
Registered
471 Posts
Hi Aus,
Happy 65th to your friend. I know he's not very happy right now but thank God it wasn't worse. It's just another wake up call that it can happen to any of us any time. Wear your gear and be alert. Best wishes to all. td.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to all you guys for your kind thoughts and prayers. On my way to visit my friend, again yesterday, I learned of another cage and motorcycle accident that happened in a nearby town on Thursday in which a man passed out at the wheel of his SUV, from a heroin overdose, crossed into the oncoming lane and struck and killed a man riding a motorcycle with his pillion daughter.

Sobering.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
He's home from the hospital and getting all kinds of support and assistance from his circle of friends. His spirits are back to his usual positive self, too. When I saw him the other day I asked him if he thought he'd ride again and he said it wasn't likely only because he doesn't think he wants to lay out the $$$ for another bike.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts