StromTrooper banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read extensive reviews before settling on the Cee Baileys windscreen for my 2002 DL1000. I'm 5"10 and decided on the 23" (no vent). I installed it and went for a ride today and have never experienced such wind buffeting. It actually hurts my teeth if I go over 130kmh! I've read so many great things about these windshields I can't help but think there's something wrong. The top of the windshield is betwen my mouth and nose as I've read it should be. My helmet is a Shoe RF1000.

Has anyone else experienced this? Does anyone know of a solution (besides cutting it down). I've tried adjusting my riding position every way possible with no luck. Closing my visor seems to help up until about 80kmh (I typically ride with my visor open) but above 80kmh nothing helps. After my 30km ride to work today on the HWY I felt like I'd been drugged.

I've owned sport bikes before buying my strom so I'm no stranger to wind buffeting but like I said, this is unbearable!

·
Registered
934 Posts
That's strange. I've had mine in the had mine in all the various heights and I've never had an issue with buffeting. I'm 6ft tall.

·
Registered
766 Posts
It's not the same on the '02-03 Vee compared to the '04+ models Wee and Vee. There are no adjustments.

·
Premium Member
965 Posts
I have the 22" Cee Bailey with the NACA vent on my 2003 with no issues whatever. I even ride with my face shield up except in really cold weather. I'm 6'3".

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,613 Posts
The '02-03 models are limited on what you can do to optimize the screen. The angle of the screen is too upright to start with. They develop too much negative pressure behind the windscreen which pulls air in from the sides and that REALLY adds to the turbulence. You will not likely find a bolt on replacement that satisfies you. I have an '04 RT BMW with an aftermarket windscreen. It is really nice to ride behind that screen. I now have my '03 Vee's windscreen just as smooth as the airflow on the BMW with the exception of when I am in heavy traffic. I am using an MP Designs ( out of business now ) screen that comes with an additional mount you have to install. I went beyond that with spacers and drilled the screen to raise it. That also lets more air under it to reduce negative pressure. With the air deflectors I made for the tank I honestly don't think the airflow could be much smoother.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I have a really tall screen (no idea who made it, previous owner's) and hated it. Fortunately I had the stock screen and decided to cut it down to next to nothing. To me, it looks much better and the added benefit of fresh air all the time. I have the crack on the left side of my upper faring due to high speeds and a big windscreen (again, PO). 02 & 03 Vees got the short end of the stick for sure.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have a CeeBaily's Perfect Strom on my Wee, along with a MadStad bracket and it seems to work pretty good. WAAAY better than the stock screen. Only problem with CeeBailey's, is that if you leave the bike in the sun, the reflective nature of the screens melt the top of the dash...gotta figure out how to cover that up!

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
bar end mirrors

Try putting your hand just inside the mirrors and feel the blast of air. The air comes off the windscreen, those big "mouse ear" mirrors catch it and blast it right into your chest, face and head. Or just take them off, go for a test ride.
I got some 4" "peep mirrors" off of flebay. Did a little grinding on the mounting clamp, filed a small notch for the #16 hose clamp, drilled a hole in the hose clamp, put some heat shrink on it for looks, ran the mounting screw through the hole in the clamp and into the mirror, screwed it down, tightened the clamp on my bar ends. No more wind beating my chest, face and head.
If that's too much work, there's dozens of bar end mirrors out there. Problem is your have to get rid of the stock bar ends, thus you're going to have vibration.

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
Agreed -- the mirrors are the source of a shocking amount of turbulence. Rick's adapters can move them out, or replace with sleeker mirrors.

But, in the end, my solution was to get a stock windshield on fleaBay and cut it down. The more I cut off, the smoother the air got, until...

My Vee came to me with wearing some gawdawful huge rattling barn door unorganized grabasstic Mickey Mouse arrangement of Lexan, tiny screws, brittle plastic, and hand-hewn brackets. In the photo above behind the windshield remnant, you can see the vaguely rectangular hole someone hacked into the fairing for a support bracket. The windshield was huge but all it did was make absolutely brutal levels of turbulence and totally muck up the handling.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I have the ceebailey 26 in tall screen on my 03 and its not to bad. A huge improvement over stock. I also have mirror extenders. I am 6 ft. I am about to order a new 24 from them to see if it helps. I would like to hear from other owners with suggestions.

·
Registered
22 Posts
My bike had a Cee Bailey's that was cut down about 2" when I got it, and it has the mirror spacers that moves them out a couple of inches, and I'm 5'8" and it is the most turbulent thing I've ever sat behind. I don't know why ADV bikes are this way (besides the german ones), but it seems like aerodynamics escaped the minds of the designers. I've owned a Tiger, and a Vstrom, and out of 24 motorcycles I've owned they are the only 2 I have had buffeting issues with.

So far for my short self the stock screen is the best compromise of smooth wind and wind protection. I've yet to try a madstad windshield mount, but plan on getting one soon, that seems to be the ticket on these.

After reading this, I'm gonna go for a ride with the mirrors off and see if that helps!

·
Registered
766 Posts
The '02-03 models are limited on what you can do to optimize the screen. The angle of the screen is too upright to start with. They develop too much negative pressure behind the windscreen which pulls air in from the sides and that REALLY adds to the turbulence. You will not likely find a bolt on replacement that satisfies you. I have an '04 RT BMW with an aftermarket windscreen. It is really nice to ride behind that screen. I now have my '03 Vee's windscreen just as smooth as the airflow on the BMW with the exception of when I am in heavy traffic. I am using an MP Designs ( out of business now ) screen that comes with an additional mount you have to install. I went beyond that with spacers and drilled the screen to raise it. That also lets more air under it to reduce negative pressure. With the air deflectors I made for the tank I honestly don't think the airflow could be much smoother.

With the Windstrom Manta, it is spaced off the cowling so may have the same effect as of reducing the negative pressure. I had a tall OE screen that mounts flush and hated it. This negative pressure was so bad my jacket lifted up. Replaced with a new Manta, instantly gone. Sooo much better.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I've got the Givi +4" shield on my K2. Added "Laminar Ears" for wider coverage and also eliminated buffeting.

I'm 5'4" and wear a 3/4 helmet. I cut the shield down 1" at the edge to 2" in the middle putting it about chin
height. While I don't need it, the "Laminar Lip" may give the "behind the shield" airflow mentioned above. I'm
not connected with this company except as a satisfied customer.

Laminar Products for Suzuki V-Strom

·
Registered
239 Posts
My Solution

When I purchased my bike and it had a Cee Baileys with the NACA vent and it beat the crap out of me. I've tried the stock windshield, tall stock, Cee Baileys Tall, Zero Gravity, Wind Strom with the TS and a cut down stock and have finally come up with my best solution yet. I'm 6'1 with a 33" inseam and have been using a Suz. gel seat and a Sargent. FWIW

·
Registered
22 Posts
2009 with Cee-Bailey rocks

I agree with others. I have a 2009 Wee and the Cee Bailey screen is incredible. I don't even need any protection for wind - can ride with the face shield up. I'm 6 ft tall and no buffeting at all.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.