StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I shattered my left ankle some years when I T-boned a drunk. At the time I was not wearing boots. I wear boots all the time now for support and I thought I would be ok in another get-off. At least I thought I was safe until a few days ago.

I was on a construction site when a small stack of 2x10 lumber fell. I avoided the direct impact, but a single board went sideways after hitting the ground and hit my ankle. It was a significant impact and I realized that the leather alone was not enough to stop a significant force from being transmitted to my foot.

I was wondering, has anyone ever created ankle armor? Perhaps something like extra heavy duty bubble wrap, surrounded by leather on both sides. It would have a 3-point velcro attachment system -- around the Achilles tendon, over the top of the foot and under the foot.

Anyone??

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
I used to wear motocross plastic boots in cold weather. They are like a helmet for the lower leg and foot.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
After reading your post, I did a little browsing at purpose-built biker's boots. Whew! Looks like some serious safety engineering going on.

Looks like the Alpine Stars Tech 8 are a decent boot for impact protection. Is there a better brand/model you recommend? Any particular features you look for when buying?

·
38,048 Posts
I haven't worn motocross boots since the 1970s when my knees still sorta worked. At that time, the first all plastic boots came out when Scotts took their ski boot knowldge and applied it to motorcycling for the first time.

·
Registered
89 Posts
OK, so a motocross boot is a transfer of ski boot technology. That sounds like a pretty rigid armored boot. Does that mean you give up ankle flexibility in favor of protection? If you plan to get off the bike and hike a bit, this might not be a good compromise.

·
38,048 Posts
I used to teach motorcycle safety courses in those boots. That involves a lot more walking than riding. Motocrossers use their boots a lot in turns and skiers even more. The boot's ankle moves in all the planes an ankle is supposed to move but is rigid against movements an ankle is not supposed to make. I wouldn't use them for hiking but I wouldn't hike in my leather boots either. Take a trip to your local B&M shop that motocrossers frequent and try some on.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Sounds like they may be a worthwhile investment. My buddy was showing me an old pair of riding boots that had about five Velcro strap fasteners and were maybe 10-12 inches high. As I recall, they didn't have much heel.

If there's a good balance of protection and flexibility to allow a bit of walking, that's the ticket. I don't need light hikers, just don't want to end up like a guy whose horse goes lame and he gets crippled up trying to walk in riding boots. ;)

I have some good quality lace-up leather work boots, 10" Buffalo (now owned by White's) and 13" made-to-measure Hell's Canyon. They offer decent ankle support when laced properly, but I'm not sure they'd have any "armor" effect if I really needed protection.

I'll look around when I go to Cycle Barn to pick up my jacket. I'm sure those cute young girls in the apparel section will be happy to help.:mrgreen:

·
Clever Title
515 Posts
I've got some O'Neal Element motocross boots. Great ankle protection, lousy flexibility. I've heard great things about SIDI touring boots so you might want to give those a look. Also I know Newenough sells motorcycle boots.

Motocross boots will be more substantial, but less comfortable walking around. Touring boots will be more comfortable and will still give great protection.

·
Registered
89 Posts
That's the name! The old riding boots my friend showed me were SIDI. I think he wore them when he rode the 1999 Ironbutt on a somewhat modified Concours. Don't know if he had them when a car crashed him on the 2003 Ironbutt. But that name was on the boots he showed me. I'll check them out, thanks.

·
Registered
566 Posts
My personal opinion. MX boots will offer the most protection but you would not want to street ride with them because of the lack of feel and flexibility. With Tech 8's you shift with your whole leg. The good thing is many of the boot makers offer dual sport boots with serious protection and still very good feel. They will not give you the same feedback that a full sport boot would but they function just fine. For me I stil prefer a street boot for the street and a dual sport boot for off-road. I use the Sidi Discovery on dirt and Oxtar Matrix II for street riding. You can check out the boots at newenough.com and they are a great place to buy from!

·
Registered
566 Posts
Here's a pic of the Sidi Discovery.

And for the street the best compromise dual sport boot for protection and feel in my opinion would be the Oxtar Infinity.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Try this website. www.allsportdynamics.com they may have what you are looking for.

Excellent site. Thanks -- definitely a bookmark site!

And for the street the best compromise dual sport boot for protection and feel in my opinion would be the Oxtar Infinity.

After doing several hours of research, this looked like the best compromise. It won't limit ankle side flex like the Crossfire and some other models but it will provide the ability to walk around and shift normally (like you pointed out).

I ordered a pair of these a few minutes ago. Many thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
Some say the Oxtars run wide - true? I wear 12 EE boots and haven't found a riding boot in wide widths other than the $400 Daytona Roadstar GTX.

Looks like the Sidi Mega Way is available in wide widths, but it doesn't look as substantial as the Oxtar.

·
I'll be back
623 Posts
Expert Opinion?

I have to weigh in here and say how impressed I am with this thread. I see patients from motorcycle accidents all the time. I am always amazed at the low to moderate speed below knee injuries. Road rash sucks that's for sure but blunt force trauma is what I worry about. I am not a racer on a track so protection for a slide is good but in the real world we won't be going into sand or padding. It will most likely be a tree, guardrail, telephone pole etc. I like jackets with padding and plating. Like Titanium or plastic. I don't ride without a spine protector.
It makes me paranoid sometimes. I have been on the lookout for a boot with decent mobility and protection of the lower leg and ankle. I "farkled" my current First Gear pants in such a way that I have Hard Plastic / padded motocross knee and leg protection velcroed to the inside. Steel toe boots are a must have. Now about that ankle.....distal 1/3rd Fibula and tibia fractures are the norm if you get side swiped or T boned. I will be watching this thread. Thanks for bringing in up. I am constantly researching this and will post if I find anything excellent

·
Registered
334 Posts
not for nothin', but they used to make ankle protectors for hockey skates back in the day. your description reminded me of them as they used to sit on top of the instep and buckle around the skate to protect your ankles from a puck. i used a pair in 1985 and took them off about 3 skates later. kloogey cumbersome. i don't think they make them anymore but i did see a fellow with an old pair at the last hockey tournament.

by the bye... for offroad boots i can't recommend Gaerne SG10's enough. excellent boot, excellent fit.

just sayin'

·
Registered
198 Posts
OK, so a motocross boot is a transfer of ski boot technology. That sounds like a pretty rigid armored boot. Does that mean you give up ankle flexibility in favor of protection? If you plan to get off the bike and hike a bit, this might not be a good compromise.
No, I wouldn't say that, he had Scott all plastic moto-X boots, they may have been like a ski boot but regular MX leather boots are not. Go to a dealer that has a selection of boots and check them out, you won't find any Scotts, they are probably collectors items by now.

·
38,048 Posts
Plastic motocross boots, at least the pair I had, have very mobile ankles. The upper and lower sections are separate and connected by a steel slider and hinge. The setup allowed full and easy normal ankle mobility put prevented the ankle from bending in directions or to extents it wasn't supposed to. I ran around the MSF course easily. The foot was stiff so that felt funny until I got used to it but the ankle was not a problem.

·
Registered
961 Posts
I have the Oxtar Infinity, they have good CE ankle armor and are so comfortable, for overnight rides I don't even take a change of shoes I just wear the Oxtars.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts