StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a pair on black Friday sale and hating them. Very stiff, high sticky soles, tall toe box are making impossible to get shifter work.

Anyone has similar experiences?

I mean it is a nice looking shoe, well made but just doesn't work for me. As far as shifting they might as well be full blown MX boots.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Just got a pair on black Friday sale and hating them. Very stiff, high sticky soles, tall toe box are making impossible to get shifter work.

Anyone has similar experiences?

I mean it is a nice looking shoe, well made but just doesn't work for me. As far as shifting they might as well be full blown MX boots.

Off-road type boots require you lift your foot to shift because they are stiff to protect your ankle.

Raise the shift lever so your boot fits under it.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I bought some Fox comp 5s to match my awesome bike, and like you i can't fit under the shifter :(

Shame because they feel like armored fluffy slippers. A wee bit rigid but sooOoOoo cumfy.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I bought the same boots about 3 weeks ago. I did raise my shift lever, and yes, to downshift have to lift foot. Overall though, I love these boots. And yes, they are very well built. They kept my ankle from getting smushed in a lay-down the week after I bought them.

I'll deal with the cons for that one pro. Also - they're relatively cheap for ADV boots that are waterproof.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I wear the Forma Terra's. They are burlier and stiffer than the Adventures. And my experience was similar, but I've already put $40K worth of titanium upgrades in my right ankle. So, I MUST have the protection. I have gotten used to them and they have broken in some too. Now I feel naked without them. I love 'em. You might give them some time and see. Besides the protection, my feet feel much better after a long day due to such stiff soles on the pegs.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Off-road type boots require you lift your foot to shift because they are stiff to protect your ankle.

Raise the shift lever so your boot fits under it.
I have done that and this goes without saying. I am having issues with upshifts. It is either cannot jam toe box between lever and peg or not enough motion to actually shift up, especially 1->2. And it is so much fun when it pops out of 2nd!

I think I need a longer lever.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I bought the same boots about 3 weeks ago. I did raise my shift lever, and yes, to downshift have to lift foot. Overall though, I love these boots. And yes, they are very well built. They kept my ankle from getting smushed in a lay-down the week after I bought them.

I'll deal with the cons for that one pro. Also - they're relatively cheap for ADV boots that are waterproof.
What size are you in? I think they might be stiffer in smaller sizes.

I just dug out of parts bin and put off-road pegs and it seems it should work better. Part of the problem was lugs got cought on mushy rubber pegs.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
This past spring I decided that I had had my boots longer than I could remember when the heck I got them. And that they were really just a high-top leather shoe. After a fairly long gestation period, I bought a pair of Icon Dakar boots. Rear entry with all the protection modern boots offer. They of course had the same shifter issue as you. I fiddled with adjustment and started to look at longer levers or mods. Meanwhile, I was still riding my V2 and at some point I just didn't notice it as an issue any more. Turns out I just up shift with the side of my boot and downshift with the bottom of it. Works fine / not looking back.

·
Registered
361 Posts
This past spring I decided that I had had my boots longer than I could remember when the heck I got them. And that they were really just a high-top leather shoe. After a fairly long gestation period, I bought a pair of Icon Dakar boots. Rear entry with all the protection modern boots offer. They of course had the same shifter issue as you. I fiddled with adjustment and started to look at longer levers or mods. Meanwhile, I was still riding my V2 and at some point I just didn't notice it as an issue any more. Turns out I just up shift with the side of my boot and downshift with the bottom of it. Works fine / not looking back.
I usually ride to and from my work with my Red Wing / Irish Setter work boots and did have to raise my shifter in an attempt for smoother shifts...Now, as you say, I also use the side of those boots to up shift and bottom to down shift.
Just a little finesse need for those buttery smooth up shift ( and do that at around 5K on the tach.) :smile2:

·
Administrator
6,406 Posts
I have done that and this goes without saying. I am having issues with upshifts. It is either cannot jam toe box between lever and peg or not enough motion to actually shift up, especially 1->2. And it is so much fun when it pops out of 2nd!

I think I need a longer lever.
I have the same boots but full height. They are dirt bike boots, made to protect your foot and ankle under extreme duress. I only wear mine on trips and I find I have to lift my foot off the peg to change up as well as down. You have to adapt to them and consider the safety aspects, but they do become less of a hassle with use.
I would recommend Adventuretechs footpeg lowering kit with the shifter mod.
Gear Shift Relocation/Extension - AdventureTech, LLC. Check your model V-Strom.

Reactions: Spec

·
Registered
186 Posts
What size are you in? I think they might be stiffer in smaller sizes.

I just dug out of parts bin and put off-road pegs and it seems it should work better. Part of the problem was lugs got cought on mushy rubber pegs.
Size...crap I don't remember. 10M in US sizing. I forget the UK size.

·
Registered
15,621 Posts
My new Sidi's are clunky too. Takes a while to break them in. Shoe man buggerd a repair on my old boots. So I got a new pair.
I miss a few shifts too. I'll get used to them eventually.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
I bought some Fox comp 5s to match my awesome bike, and like you i can't fit under the shifter :(

Shame because they feel like armored fluffy slippers. A wee bit rigid but sooOoOoo cumfy.
I have the same boots. Adjust your shift lever up higher than the foot peg plane by 1/4-1/2", they'll work just fine.

·
Registered
975 Posts
i've been contemplating steel or composite toe boots. i wondered whether they might interfere with shifting. i'm not a fan of changing anything on my scoot. adding, sure, but not changing, mostly cuz i'm awful with tools.

·
Administrator
17,537 Posts
i've been contemplating steel or composite toe boots. i wondered whether they might interfere with shifting. i'm not a fan of changing anything on my scoot. adding, sure, but not changing, mostly cuz i'm awful with tools.
Why not contemplate real and proper riding boots? :wink2:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts