StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone give me the differences between a CB radio and those family walkie talkies with the FRS band? Is any one better or worse for any reason and if someone wanted two radios for bike to bike communication which one would they prefer? Thanks

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Either system works. CB is AM which is more susceptible to noise. FRS is FM, better audio quality. I'm using FRS and amateur radio (FM). I'd say the reason to go with CB is if you want to talk to truckers.

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
The only reason to go with CB is if you ride with Goldwingers or others that already have CB. If you and a few buddies just want to talk on group rides, FRS is hard to beat for simplicity and audio quality. I recently found out that adding a CB can get complicated in a hurry.

FRS or GMRS is the way to go unless you have a specific need for CB.

bogey78

·
Registered
70 Posts
The only reason to go with CB is if you ride with Goldwingers or others that already have CB. If you and a few buddies just want to talk on group rides, FRS is hard to beat for simplicity and audio quality. I recently found out that adding a CB can get complicated in a hurry.

FRS or GMRS is the way to go unless you have a specific need for CB.

bogey78

Do you have a few product recommendations in the FRS or GMRS world?

Grazi Grazi
Scott

·
Registered
2,167 Posts

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info, I think I'll go FRS

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
To possibly make things more complicated...you can get a hybrid GMRS radio that also has FRS frequencies. If I'm remembering correctly, if you only use the FRS frequencies, you don't need a GMRS license.

·
Super Moderator
13,091 Posts
After reading this thread I was curious about GMRS vs FRS (in Canada).

If I read correctly, GMRS does not seem to require a license in Canada, at least it doesn't for the use of handhelds that don't use repeaters.

Did I understand it correctly? Is this now true in the USA?

..Tom

·
Super Moderator
13,091 Posts
One other thing:

I know in my flying of ultralights I was able to get all the local ultralight pilots to settle on one frequency to use. (In Canada 123.40 is for Balloons, Gliders, and Ultralights but many pilots tend to find an open frequeency and chat with theri friends on that.) It adds a lot of enjoyment to flying when you are able to communicate with friends, rendevous with them, etc.

I also know when CB's were in their heyday that people tended to use channel 19 or 10 (I think it was) as a general chatting frequency. Is their anything similar to that on FRS or GMRS?

I have FRS for use with the kids but have never seem to come across any common use frequencies to hail others.

..Tom

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
To possibly make things more complicated...you can get a hybrid GMRS radio that also has FRS frequencies. If I'm remembering correctly, if you only use the FRS frequencies, you don't need a GMRS license.
I now have a Midland two way radio. It has GMRS and FRS frequencies. I don't have a license for the GMRS frequencies so I don't use them ( unless I forget )

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Does anyone actually have / use, the GMRS Lic.?
Well yeah. :rolleyes::mrgreen:

GMRS - WQHH619
Amateur radio - KA1TOX

And I even remember my old CB license - KAGG8449

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Do you have a few product recommendations in the FRS or GMRS world?
I like the Motorola radios. The quality is higher than a lot of the others I've seen. Icom makes GMRS radios as well.

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
I was thinking of getting a hybrid for the bike thinking the external antenna would give me more range. Looks like it has less range (1/2-1mile) than the FRS handhelds I have (5miles). Am I missing something?

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
I was thinking of getting a hybrid for the bike thinking the external antenna would give me more range. Looks like it has less range (1/2-1mile) than the FRS handhelds I have (5miles). Am I missing something?
Don't pay any attention to the "mileage" numbers, except to go for the ones that boast 22 miles. It's beyond optimistic, but it does mean it's not a milliwatt radio. I think the max power is 4 watts for GMRS and 2 watts for FRS, but getting specific power output specs is next to impossible for some reason. If the do mention power at all on the packaging, it's a good sign of a better radio.

One advantage to GMRS is that you can use a repeater, but they're few and far between.

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
I have been considering the Midland GXT800VP4 waterproof radios with optional headsets for closed face helmets. Does anyone have any experience to share ??

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Don't pay any attention to the "mileage" numbers, except to go for the ones that boast 22 miles. It's beyond optimistic, but it does mean it's not a milliwatt radio. I think the max power is 4 watts for GMRS and 2 watts for FRS, but getting specific power output specs is next to impossible for some reason. If the do mention power at all on the packaging, it's a good sign of a better radio.

One advantage to GMRS is that you can use a repeater, but they're few and far between.
I think .5 watt is max allowed for FRS. I could be wrong.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Can anyone give me the differences between a CB radio and those family walkie talkies with the FRS band? Is any one better or worse for any reason and if someone wanted two radios for bike to bike communication which one would they prefer? Thanks
On the advice of my riding buddy's brother, who is a hardcore tourer, we ordered a set of the Collett Communicators: http://www.collettcommunicators.com/

They presently have a winter special on, reducing the price by about $60 per headset, and $10 off the passenger intercom.

We got the Platinum 900 models. 2 mile range. They can double as a cellphone and/or iPod headset, if that's your bag. Some models have Bluetooth for wireless cellphone connectivity.

They won't be in until March. If my opinion differs from graywolf's http://www.stromtrooper.com/forums/showpost.php?p=174325&postcount=4 or the other positive reviews out there, http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=collett+communicators+review&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8, I'll post it.

Their website leaves a bit to be desired, but then again, making websites is not their business. A 30-day return policy, and a 3-year warranty that I'm told is very, very good, which covers everything, including damage. My friend's brother even had some damage repaired for free outside of the warranty.

·
Registered
134 Posts
water warrior...

Me and my riding buddy bought the Midlands, on sale at JOE's. With the open face helmet mic/headphones to use in our flip helmets. We are very happy with them, especially for the price. No, they won't work great after about 70 mph or if the visor is up, too much wind noise. But for those, "hey did you see that" or "cop, cop, cop" or "ARGHHH!!!!!!, call a medic" they work great. Nice quality handlebar ptt button. Put the radios in the tank bag, run all the wires to there. Pretty clean, actually. No 5 mile range, but we're usually not running that far apart anyway. PM for more info if you want it.

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Sounds like it might be the way to go without too great a cost.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts