StromTrooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently purchased a K6 DL1000 which came with a handlebar mounted JMCB 2003 CB radio and a Nolan 102 helmet with mic, speakers and 6 pin connction to the radio. It looks like a $400 plus installation, but I don't see the utility of it yet. I tried to monitor channel 19 on a recent trip from Prescott to Phoenix, but heard nothing by static. I could get NOAA weather on Channel 7.

I'm thinking about removing this system from the bike and helmet. Can someone tell me if I'm missing something here, before I take it out?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Generally speaking, the CB units on bikes are really only good for close-contact bike-to-bike communication, or possibly a call for assistance to a close trucker on the freeway. I had one on my Goldwing and really liked the bike to bike usage, but that of course requires that your riding partners be equipped as well. Your $400 plus install guess is right on. One of my friends paid about $400 for the radio, then purchased and installed an antenna, wiring, etc. The mike and speaker setup in the Nolan is good for another $150 or more.

When I got rid of the Wing, I listed and sold two of the helmet set-ups (the electronics only) on the GL1800 forum in a matter of a few hours, so there is definitely some value there if you decide it's not for you. :mrgreen:

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Um, slightly different tack here...are you really riding with a helmet given to you? Aside from the geez-that-guy-had-bad-halitosis or gosh-he-sure-used-nice-smelling-conditioner, I'd be concerned with a helmet I had no reliable history on.

I imagine the electonics are completely transferable to another Nolan 102 or 103, and relatively transferable to other helmets.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I have the J&M system on Wee. I have it connected to my Zumo 550 with XM radio. I can to listen to and talk to truckers and other bikes. I don't use the helmet speakers, I use Etymotic ear phones. Makes the miles melt by. What antenna are you using?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts