StromTrooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O Wise and Adventurous Ones,

The group I ride with communicates with CB radios. No problem with my GL1500 Wingabago, but that boat's in mothballs now that I've stumbled into the funnest (yeah, that's a word) bike I've ever ridden. I need to find a CB outfit that will work with the Wee.

The J&M setup (http://www.twowheelsound.com/id3.html) looks like it would not work with the left-side controls and mirror arrangement. Apparently Chatterbox has a version for bikes (http://www.aerostich.com/product.php?productid=17140&cat=263&page=1), but the only vendor that seems to have it shows it being out of stock. Searching Google, I haven't been able to come up with any other decent candidates.

Anybody have any ideas?

·
Registered
369 Posts
Ok, here is my setup.

The CB is Midland 75-822 attached to a Firestick NGP antenna. You can get a PTT adaptor with a 5 pin din connector from J&M that will give a great selection of headsets you can use. Overall, its a pretty good setup for under $200.

Wingman

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yo Wingman,

Looks like your CB outfit could be the right option for me. J&M appears to have the components at decent prices, except for the Firestik which is available at WolcottCB.

Thanx for the tip!

·
Registered
369 Posts
Glad to have helped. Just make sure that the Firestick is a 'No-Ground-Plane' kit. It is critical that the cable that comes with the antenna is not cut down at all because it is tuned to the antenna and cutting it will make a big difference (not good). One more thing, whatever you do, DO NOT coil up the remaining loose cable.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I picked up on the NGP thing. I'm sure that's a big help with a bike that's made of all kinds of stuff that won't ground.

As for the cable, since it's (apparently) 17' long, I figured I'd just drag it behind the bike and tie some stuffed animals to it for fun! :shock:

On second thought, maybe I'll just take up the slack by running it around under the saddle somewhere to keep it from crossing over itself or coiling, and stay clear of sparky parts and such.

BTW, how did you mount the stick?

·
Registered
725 Posts
Don't mean to hijack this thread, but I'm toying with the notion of installing a CB on my bike myself and I would like to know how useful CB radio still is, given the large number of communication options we have today. The last time I used one was about 20 years ago, and back then I would usually tune to channel 19 (IIRC) and listen in on the chatter to pick up useful bits of information such as road conditions, traffic jams, or speed traps. So, is there still a useful amount of traffic on CB bands, or are people turning to other technologies (FRS/GMRS/cell phones/other)?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yo Jet,

My interest in having a CB is solely because my riding buddies have settled on CBs for BTB com. Many of them have Goldwings (as do I), for which a CB is somewhat the standard BTB com option.

It appears that most motorcyclists with CB's use c1, which makes it easy to connect with other riders you encounter who also have CBs. I've found the CB on my Goldwing useful for getting local information, road conditions, weather, "blue fog" warnings, etc. from truckers on c19. No more "Good Buddy" stuff. Now everybody's "driver". Shows you how long it's been since I used a CB (70's?).

Don't know anything about the other alternatives (FRS/GMRS, etc.), but I doubt if my riding buddies would want to go to the expense to convert to a new format. So I'll probably go with Wingman's setup and go with a CB.

vrox

·
Registered
369 Posts
Jet,
There is still a large CB community out there, which will definately come in handy if you need to get assistance on the road. Channel 1 is primarly used by motorcyclist and after trying FRS/GMRS radios I found the sound quality is much better. When I used HJC FRS radio to communicate with my buddies, it was pretty much useless at speeds over 50 mph.

Wingman

·
Registered
216 Posts
I have a Cobra 75 from Air Rider
http://www.airrider.com/store/product.php?id=497
They modify it to accept the J&M headsets and it's got great power and reception. I've got my PTT wired to the (useless) headlight flasher switch.
A lot less $$$ then the J&M setup. Only drawback is it's only CB, no other inputs for intercom, MP3 or Sat radio.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts