StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, got a question.

Has anyone ever purchased a used GPS from Ebay? I'm looking for some of the older model Garmins out there and I have seen some great deals. I don't understand the way Garmin licenses their devices, and I was wondering how big of a pain it is to update an older GPS that was not originally purchased be myself.

Many of these units don't come with the software, or are outdated. I don't want to get into a situation where I get the hardware for a great price, but then have to spend a heap of money to update it and purchase software for it. If that is the case then I'll just save for a new unit.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
134 Posts
I just got a refurbished Magellan Roadmate 1212 off E-bay for $37 + $12 shipping.
Looks like new and all cords mounts etc are there.
I'm going to use the mounting technique listed a few threads up for my Vee and the included mount in my car.
I also get the newest 2010 map for only $10 shipping.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I just picked up a streetpilot 2720 for $100. One of the pins on the power wire was bent, the one for the speaker, but it wasn't an issue to me as I already had a motorcycle mount. I was worried about the previously owned status when I went to register, but I got lucky! It was never registered, and I was eligible for a numaps onetime upgrade.
If you mean the mapsource software, it wasn't an issue for me, I already have it.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Same caveats as buying anything used on ebay - reputable seller - return policy and so on.

Registering a previously registered 2720 I bought from TigerGPS.com took one toll free phone call to Garmin - provided the serial and model numbers and they sorted it out. Fortunately the mapset was up to date. With registration I get to do the software updates from time to time. I'm about due for a map update. You'll want to budget about $65 for 2010 maps or I believe you can get a lifetime update for $100-ish.

Instead of Ebay my method was to google "refurbished garmin XXXX" The XXXX being the model I was looking for. TigerGPS and a few other refurb dealers came up. It was just easier to deal with them directly. The GPS I received looked as if it had never been out of the package.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I just bought a used Nuvi 765T from a wholesaler on Ebay. It was registered already but not by the seller. I emailed Garmin about it already being registered, and all they asked was that I email them back some kind of payment receipt.

I emailed them a copy of the paypal transaction, and they removed it from the previous owner's account so I could register with mine.

Pretty painless... Jason

·
Registered
134 Posts
Update on the Roadmate 1212 I got off E-bay
Got an e-mail from Magellan saying they don't do the free map update on units bought on e-bay despite the fact that the support staff I spoke with told me I qualified for one. I responded to plead my case but I doubt it will do any good.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts