StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 180 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings.

1) Do I think my microscopic post in a Universe of motorcycle threads will change anything? No.

2) Based on what I see EVERYWHERE – do I think my opinion will matter? No.

3) Is there merit to my position on this? Please see # 2.

Now that I have the disclaimers listed, please tell me why 95% of the riders “I see,” solo and with a passenger, do not wear “ANY” ATGATT?? :surprise: All day – rain or shine – dark of night – black is the preferred jacket / helmet color. Down the Interstate – 60 mph – pitch dark – raining hard – I’m driving behind a 2” square of fading red light. The rider is invisible. I see the light because I am paying attention. Lord help him with the driver who doesn’t. And who will be held responsible? And will that be priority 1 to the rider who’s unconscious in the ditch?

Personally, I prefer not to ride with anyone who skips ATGATT. Yeah, ATGATT doesn’t make us invincible to risks. But – proven – it does improve our safety odds. IMHO - that should matter?

OK – this is starting to sound like the dreaded lecture. Let’s move on. Any answers? Other than the standard answer of “Ego,” I honestly don’t know.

I ask because I’d like to understand this better than I do. No more - no less. Arguments will be respectfully declined. Thanks.

Cheers.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Saw a post on facebook yesterday. Guy in a hospital bed with road rash over half his face. Says : I learned that I should wear a helmet, please help with medical bills, gofundme, etc., etc. Um...nope. You were an adult when you made the decision to ride unprotected. Pay your own bills.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Perhaps it's your location? Here in the PNW it's mostly HD riders not wearing gear when in the summer months, but occasionally I'll see other types of riders not wearing gear. I'm in complete shock when I go to other states with no helmet law, but I remind myself that I don't have to live in their body. I'm still flabbergasted, but I again remind myself that, "I don't have to live in their body."

Interestingly, I've always been an ATGATT rider myself, and it's saved my skin on mulitple occasions as I usually ride sportbikes or dirtbikes, but a few years ago I ended up with a Vino 125 for about a year and found I didn't wear all my gear as much when going to the 'market' or 5 miles away on ~35 mph streets. I find it interesting because I now have a 125SM in it's place and am ATGATT when I ride it, despite it being the same cc's. I think it's in part because it's much faster, but more so, the convenience of almost being 'chairlike' in the riding position and lower to the ground on the scooter as opposed to the 'horselike' riding position of my motorcycles.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Serious answer - psychologists have a number of reasons for this (no, I'm not one).

Not so serious answer - if you explain why the king believed in his new clothes and paraded around bare, I'll answer your question.

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
Everything in life has risk. Every person decides how much risk they feel like taking on. Personally a wear a full face helmet 100% of the time, however sometimes I wear a tank top, shorts and tennis shoes with it. On the highway I wear steel toed boots, jeans and a jacket with an upgraded back protector. None of my gear is dayglow yellow/orange/pink. Anyone truly concerned with living forever would never put their butt on a motorcycle.

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
Some folks are naturally fearful, others, not so much. I wear a helmet now, didn't used to back in my touring bike days. It's for protection, from BUGS! lol 50 years riding, never down on the street. If you're that scared, stay on the porch. :grin2: Sorry, you deserved it!! >:)
No kidding. That is the main reason I won't wear a helmet that doesn't have full face protection. You ever taken a June bug into the face shield at 80MPH? That has gotta hurt if you get it in the face - and is a lot more likely than an accident.

·
Registered
395 Posts
No kidding. That is the main reason I won't wear a helmet that doesn't have full face protection. You ever taken a June bug into the face shield at 80MPH? That has gotta hurt if you get it in the face - and is a lot more likely than an accident.
Yep, big bugs, bees, and lack of my 3 Kawasaki Voyager's huge screens cured me!!:grin2:

BTW, I do recommend a full face helmet now, but what others do legally, is simpy none of my business.

·
Super Moderator
13,083 Posts
Why do we care what other riders do or don't wear?

I'm generally ATGATT (My Roadcrafter is so easy and comfy to wear I can't see why I wouldn't wear it) but really don't care what others wear.

For every mile ridden there is a 0.00000025% chance of a fatality on a motorcycle. Another way of putting it is there is one motorcycle death per 3,995,205.75 miles ridden. Gear, apart from a helmet, probably makes little difference in those numbers.

You are 17.5 times more like to get injured than killed so that means 1 injury for every 228,296.47 miles ridden.

(Stats from here: https://www.perecman.com/blog/2014/april/how-likely-are-you-to-get-in-a-motorcycle-accide/)

So as much as I'm ATGATT I understand odds are very low of an injury or fatality.

..Tom

·
Premium Member
2,499 Posts
I live 5 miles from the Idaho state line, so ride there as often as Wa. The exit #1 often has a bike on the shoulder so they can remove their helmet and hang it off the sissy bar.
As for the small patch of light(Stock taillight), I've always a second taillight on the bottom of the license plate. Along with a strip of LED's on each saddlebags. Most everyone I ride with comments on how visible I am. Have a second brake light also

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Would the need to understand the choices someone else makes about their personal safety truly make any difference in your outlook? You appear very decided in your own opinion about ATGATT, to the point that you won't even ride with someone who isn't totally geared up to what you deem acceptable. If you've been riding for any length of time, especially if you've been on motorcycle forums where the topic comes up frequently, you've most likely already heard all the reasons from guys who don't wear it; have any of those reasons given you any deeper acceptance of their choice? The only reason anyone really needs not to wear all the gear is "it's not mandatory, and I choose not to". People make all sorts of inexplicable life choices to run afoul of my belief system, but it doesn't cause me a moments' thought as long as their decisions don't directly impact me. Your position that "ATGATT is safer than no ATGATT' is totally correct, but if safety is your compelling priority, I could make an even better and more compelling argument for "If safety is paramount to you, why are you even riding a motorcycle at all?". Riding a motorcycle is dangerous under any circumstances; there are ample stats on line about how much more likely you are to be severely injured or killed in a bike accident as opposed to a car. I can easily formulate an argument from someone adamantly opposed to motorcycle riding in general that sounds just as compelling as your "why don't you gear up?" argument. It goes like this:

"Motorcycling is a totally recreational, unnecessary activity. You don't need to ride one, you simply are choosing to ride one, while being totally aware of the increased danger that riding a bike presents over driving a car. Every time you ride, you're at an increased risk of death or serious injury compared to driving. Why should I have to pay increased insurance premiums just because you want to engage in an inherently dangerous activity that serves no purpose? How can you place your family's emotional and financial future at risk simply because you insist on doing something dangerous that you could easily avoid doing?"

And yet, knowing this, you continue to ride. You make a choice, knowing all those risks, for one simple reason; because that's what you want to be doing. That's why at least some guys ride without gear; simply because they choose to, much like you choose to keep engaging in a dangerous activity that could easily be avoided, and that many people would consider to be ego-driven and selfishly risky.

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
As my Dad (RIP) often said: "You're gonna get killed on one of those damned things!" :grin2:
My Dad only tells me stories about motorcycles where the rider died, so....

Pretty much, I wear all my gear, all the time. When I get on the bike after being in the car for a few weeks I always feel like I should have a shoulder belt on.

At this point, it is much more comfortable for me to ride with the gear on. In PA and Delaware, Helmets are optional; I can't ride my bicycle without one. The motorcycle just feels ridiculous to consider without protection.

That said, many of my coworkers have a hard time putting on the leather jacket on a summer day. For what it is worth, the don't give my any grief for riding with all my gear. Only for riding a Suzuki.

John

·
Super Moderator
4,513 Posts
..... In PA and Delaware, Helmets are optional; I can't ride my bicycle without one.
Can that be true? You cannot ride a bicycle without a helmet but it is allowable to ride a motorcycle, which can travel 10 times faster? :confused:
Anybody see the inconsistency here?

·
Premium Member
587 Posts
The one time I rode without a helmet was probably my best day on a bike. Up the coast of Croatia in August 1980, riding a Suzuki GT380. Just sunglasses, jeans , T shirt. Now, I wear probably 20 plus pounds of gear. Hi Viz full face helmet , High Viz airbag vest. It's so hot in the summer, but I like the idea of extra layers of protection.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Can that be true? You cannot ride a bicycle without a helmet but it is allowable to ride a motorcycle, which can travel 10 times faster? :confused:
Anybody see the inconsistency here?
In Pennsylvania, you have to wear a bicycle helmet when you're riding a bicycle or a passenger on a bicycle if you're under 12 years old. That's in the PA Vehicle Code, 75 PaCS 3510(b). If you're over 12, you're strongly encouraged to wear one but it isn't mandatory. It's possible that there's some odd municipal ordinance that says you have to wear one if you're over 12 in a specific municipality, though I've never heard of that. I can't say about Delaware.

You also have to wear a motorcycle helmet in PA until you're 21 years old, and have at least two years riding experience or have taken a PennDOT approved motorcycle safety course.

·
Super Moderator
4,513 Posts
That's more reasonable but I still wonder of the logic and "freedom" of allowing motorcyclists to ride without good head protection.
I remember a very well known rally driver who on a recce run in a road car was T-boned by another car and died. They said that he would easily have survived had he been wearing a helmet.
Also it's the visor that I think is so necessary for protected vision.

1 - 20 of 180 Posts