StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in the right place at the right time today (railroad crossing that hasn't been "fixed" yet like most of the crossings around here), and was able to get some air over the tracks (not much - maybe a few inches). I also have a KLX250s which I trail ride/MX track, and the Wee felt quite a bit smoother on landing.

Notes to Safety Police: It was dry, I was going pretty slow (30ish), the traffic around me was light, and my riding buddy was in front of me.

Anybody else ever get air on their Wee?

·
Registered
263 Posts
same deal, over train tracks, there are some crossings out here on county roads that are really steep. Go too fast and you leap across. Fun occasionally, but the wee is a big boy for leaping.

·
Premium Member
3,132 Posts
I got some air on my wee tonight, when I pee'd behind the garage.....!

Actually, I did on one of my last rides before I mothballed the Strom for the winter - was riding around a campground two-track, and eyeballed a super nice roller. Gave it a little gas, and the front end lofted enough so that I had a nice little jump. Was nice landing on the softish dirt too.

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
Yeah, 2m drop that I hit at 80kph.

Pure stupidity, we'd ridden up a sandy track and it had a 2m step up in it - coming back, I had a 1200GS and a 990 chasing me and um ... well ... I forgot about the step we'd hit on the way up.

I was doing about 100kph when I realized I was going over the jump no matter what, all I could do was peel off a little speed, lean back, push down and try to land as gracefully as possible.

The good luck was the landing point was a big sandy bottom mudhole, so when everything bottomed nothing broke - apparently the landing was pretty good, emptied the mudhole - I know I didn't see it, I think my eyes were looking about 20m further down the track. (or possibly closed).

Cheers
Pete

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
i've done similar over railroad tracks too...pretty smooth for a big girl :thumbup:

also had some air result from a "lip" that was where some concrete and black top were having an issue, it was unexpected, but fun and smooth at the same time...

i've only been doing about 25-35 mph for all my instances, as the one set of tracks is only a hand full of blocks from my house and one of the main ways to get into town :yesnod:

·
Registered
808 Posts
Yeah, there's a sweet 1-lane forest service road off of Mammoth Pools Road in the Sierra here in CA, I like to joke it's the Nurburgring of the west. Lots of tight corners, quick rises, whoop-de-dos, etc. There are a number of places I like to get air on it.

Also, coming down the Cassiar highway back from AK, I believe on the way to Burwash Landing, Yukon (a few hours north of Haines Junction), there are some frost heaves you can get good air off of. My buddies and I were fully loaded, using the oncoming lane to pass semis, getting air off of every frost heave... havin' a blast.

·
Registered
485 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
If you power over speed bumps instead of slowing down for them, you'll catch air every time. Motorcycles and speed bumps go together like peanut butter and jelly.

·
Registered
813 Posts
There a couple of little bridges near me, one of which is pretty good at launching vehicles. Have not done it on the Vee yet but a certain 280kg tourer in my shed once left the ground briefly...

·
Registered
72 Posts
Frost heave damage on the Mt. Evan's road. Caught a little air and bottomed out on the landing (two up) - the wife didn't appreciate it like I did.

:confused::green_lol:

·
Registered
7 Posts
air time

Did it this last summer with my sister-in-law on the back. Was doing about 80 mph and she is as about as crazy as me so i opened it up just before the tracks. thought I'D get a little air but the road slopped down on the other side quite abit and we sailed for about twenty feet due to the speed but no very more than a foot off the ground. it was hard landing with a rider but not as bad as i thought it was going to be. Crazy woman still likes to ride though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts