StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Vendor
4,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A question posed by a member made realise that it would be useful to catalog the different experiences people have had with regarding handlebars and brake/clutch line length.

Basically, what handlebar riser did you use and were the stock lines long enough or did you have to use an extension.

Information needed for:

1" up

1" up and 1" back

1" up and 1.25" back

2" up (Rox style)

Please add you experience here for both the clutch and brake line.

·
Registered
508 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,054 Posts
1" up and back didn't work for me on my 2015 DL1000 with stock lines. Way too tight at full lock for my liking. I would buy extensions from you of they weren't crazy price-wise.

..Tom

edit: Brake and Clutch Line extensions that is!

·
Registered
615 Posts
I'm running 2" Rox Adjustable. To keep the stock brake line pinch to a minimum, the risers are not where I want them, the front brake mount is moved inward about 3/4" (I don't like this), and I make a serious effort to not turn too far to the right. I need to disconnect the little adapter from the frame to give a little more room.

The front brake line needs replaced with a longer unit. I think 2 inches minimum and 3 inches may be better. I see Galfer has something but would rather order from you.

The clutch is a little tight and I'd like a longer one there too, but it's not as critical as the brake line.

Boycott SV Racing

·
Vendor
4,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks guys, keep it coming.

I'm hopeful that we will be able to provide an inexpensive two inch "longer top line" to keep people from having to buy whole brake lines sets. However, I could not get my top line to separate from the fitting at the steering column. Actually, with what I have planned you can have any length you want. I'm working on it.

Let me know if anyone is able to separate the line at the first fitting at the steering column or if there is a better place.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Does anyone know the length of the brake and clutch lines? I have a set of 1" up 1" back SW Motech for my 2015 DL1000 and don't want to wrestle with hoses that should not be stretched or stressed. I'll just order a set of custom lines 2" bigger than OEM.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I've installed the Sw Motech 1up/1back bar risers on my Vee2. Had to roll bars up a bit, release from Glide clips and move both brake and clutch lever controls in about 3/4 inch on the bars to accommodate. Lines had no slack to begin with, but these tweaks are acceptable, but hoping for the longer lines to better sort out. Clutch if fine, but the brake top line still concerns me a bit.

Rick, count me in whenever you can deliver! Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Are the brake lines SS on the 2014?

If not, then swapping them out for some SS +2 lines wouldn't be a bad investment, although hard to justify $189 USD for me, for just 2 inch difference, seems pretty nuts really, but some people have more money than I do. I am spending all my money on my daughters armor. ;)

Wouldn't it be nice if Suzuki suddenly decided to sell these kinds of items, the stuff that everyone wants, and do it cheap like you know they can, if they try.

- +2 brake lines
- +2 clutch line
- bar risers
- aluminum grab rails
- tank protectors
- alternate windscreens
- adventure pegs
- heated gear plug-ins
- spoked wheels
- aluminum luggage
- wider (1") bars
- Suzuki skid plate
- Suzuki engine guards
- Suzuki highway bars
- Suzuki cruise control

The list goes on and on, why do they leave it to other vendors to supply, why not learn from HD and have a complete customization setup?

·
1,236 Posts
Hi Rick,
Well since the risers would not fit stock we ordered some new brake lines so we could have the top hose lengthened.

Suzuki does not just sell you the top hose you get the whole lot, top hose and metal pipe back to ABS unit you would think they would sell them separately. :confused:

We are using the sw-motech 1" up and backs on one bike and 2" Rox risers on the other.

The hose was lengthened by 100mm.

Hose length comparison

Riser's installed

Everything fits fine with the riser's the only other thing we did was rotate the clutch hose retainer.
If you were going any higher the clutch hose would need doing as well and maybe the electrics but not sure.

Cheers GotaV2

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
1" up. Took the brake line out of the upper clip, but still need to do some adjustment as it now tends to bind on the clip at left lock. May need to put back in the clip, bend it, or experiment with a strategically placed cable tie or two. Some have mentioned the rotation of the bars in the clamps - this has an effect on the line and cable tension as well. I bought a 5" brake line extension (don't remember where, US made) but haven't installed it - would be bulky and rather unsightly.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
1" up. Took the brake line out of the upper clip, but still need to do some adjustment as it now tends to bind on the clip at left lock. May need to put back in the clip, bend it, or experiment with a strategically placed cable tie or two. Some have mentioned the rotation of the bars in the clamps - this has an effect on the line and cable tension as well. I bought a 5" brake line extension (don't remember where, US made) but haven't installed it - would be bulky and rather unsightly.

I currently have 1" up and haven't had the least bit of an issue with any binding, nor have I had to remove any clips or anything of the like. Are u sure you're doing this correctly? They went on easily

·
Registered
251 Posts
I'm running the 2" Rox risers at about a 45 degree angle so that's about 1.4" up and 1.4" back. I had to reroute the hoses and cables behind the triple tree and remove the mounting bolt from the junction block to get some more length. It works but I don't like it and would prefer a more permanent fix.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I read the safest riser w/o moving lines is 20 mm. I had that for a year, but wanted more, so I installed the 30 mm, and the lines are tight but not dangerous. If I had to do it all over I'd just install the 25mm, and call it good. I'm interested in the 2 inch extension from the brake reservoir, that would be a big seller.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I currently have 1" up and haven't had the least bit of an issue with any binding, nor have I had to remove any clips or anything of the like. Are u sure you're doing this correctly? They went on easily
Well, maybe not. Can't remember why I took the brake line out of the clip/guide. I'll try putting it back and see what happens. As I mentioned, how the bars are rotated has a lot to do with it so maybe mine are rotated down more.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I looked at this again...I put the brake line back in the clip and full left is a little snug on the line, but probably ok. I think the issue was actually when turning the bars right, that clip pulls the lower part of the line backwards and bends it more than I was comfortable with. There seems to be less stress and bending on the line with it outside the clip. Just have to make sure it doesn't snag on anything when turning.

·
1,236 Posts
GotaV2,

Excellent!!!!!!

That is what I had been trying to do. Just add a longer top line.

Did you have any trouble separating the top line from the lower lines? Where did you get the parts?
Hi Rick
We bought a new brake hose from Suzuki as stated earlier you get the lot top hose and ABS metal tube.
We undid the ABS metal line which unscrews from the block.
Then we took this top line with block to a brake hose shop and had the hose extended.
They took the original line and crimp off the block and braised on a new crimp to suit the hose.
The OD of the hose is bigger than standard but the ID is identical (that's all they had).
We then took the original top hose and block off the bike and replaced with the new ones and just keeping the originals as spare.

Hope this answers your question :smile2:

Cheers GotaV2

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
Stock brake hoses appear to be the usual EPDM inner & outer tubes with polyvinyl acetate reinforcing.

I fit SW-Motech up & back risers. I pulled the upper triple tree and ran the hoses under it as needed for a good fit.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts