StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Ya know, that's from '94. :shock:
Probably okay, tho, just use the 10W40 stuff. Actually, you're probably in greater risk of trashing your motor from running a Fram filter......

P

·
0 Posts
Well, that was interesting reading. I wish they had shown viscosity measurements at 3500 miles, rather than just 800 and 1500, since 3500 mile oil changes are typically what the manufacturers recommend for most road machines.

I guess the bottom line was that we could get the best results from running Mobil 1 synthetic automobile oil in our cycles. And, that we wouldn't be totally insane if we ran automotive oil off the shelf at Walmart for about a buck a quart.

Almost heresy. Had that transmission gear shearing breaking down the oil stuff drummed into me for decades....

A

·
0 Posts
automotive oil

Well, I have been too cheap to run motorcycle oil in my KLR. I have 56,000 miles on the thing using Castrol GTX 15W40, and it still runs great!

·
Registered
71 Posts
My V-Strom manual does not indicate the need to replace the oil filter at each oil change - can you believe it?! Only every three changes... hard to believe.

Just for those whom want to know, T rated synthetics are considered ideal for motorcycle lubrication and clutch performance - even among synthetic brands. Just like any lubricant, certainn ones have ingredients that may or may not want in an engine/transmission environment. Oils that reach a 50W rating are not considered a good idea - oil shear affects the molecules and reduces effective lubrication. I agree that most any 10-40W is workable but oils containing molybdenum can potentially introduce clutch slip.

As a new V-Strommer, I'm using Shell's Rotella T Synthetic 10-40W in my 2007 DL650 ABS. Along with mileage, I look at the oil's color to determine the time to change it out. It'll be interesting to see how long the V's oil stays clean (summer vs. winter cycles, etc.) but I'll likely change it out somewhere between 3-5000 miles to satisfy my oil anality.

·
Registered
181 Posts
BMW's recommended change interval was 5,000 miles when I bought my '82 R65 brand new. Over 124,000 miles on the bike when I sold it nine years later with Castrol GTX 20x-50 oil changes every 5k mile and it was still running perfectly.

·
Registered
22,333 Posts

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
One of the owners of the local BMW dealership is an interesting fellow. Among other things, he is a retired navy admiral who was in charge of the development and training programs for the F-18 Hornet jet fighter. He also has an advanced degree--PHD, I believe, in engineering of some sort. Anyway, one of his projects for his degree involved a study of oil for motorcycles. After nearly a year of research he concluded that any oil specified for use in a diesel engine works well in any 4-stroke motorcycle engine. He recommended using Shell Rotella-T 10W40 oil in my bikes.

What I've been using, however, is Castrol ActEvo 10W40 oil. It's a dino oil with "synthetic properties" whatever that means. The guy at my local Honda dealership service dept. recommends the ActEvo. You can get it on sale at Cycle Gear stores for $3.99 a quart--that is if you have one in your area. Otherwise, the Rotella-T is great stuff. As far as BMW's in concerned, BMW specifies 15W50 oil for their bikes. IOW, you don't necessarily have to use motorcycle-specific oil in your bike. I do change filters with every oil change, however, at around 3K miles.

·
$tromtrooper
845 Posts
there's nothing wrong with Fram filters, they got a bad rap from some Asian counterfeits several years ago
My first post and I have to chime in on this one. I'm an Auto Tech by trade and we would not use Fram. Why? Cut open a Fram filter then a Wix. The difference is very noticeable. A few years ago Fram filters had caused engine damage from the paper coming loose and going through the bearings. I wouldn't take the chance even if they cleaned up their act.

·
Administrator
17,723 Posts
My first post and I have to chime in on this one. I'm an Auto Tech by trade and we would not use Fram. Why? Cut open a Fram filter then a Wix. The difference is very noticeable. A few years ago Fram filters had caused engine damage from the paper coming loose and going through the bearings. I wouldn't take the chance even if they cleaned up their act.
Some of us try like heck to inform people that FRAMS are garbage, but what do we know???:rolleyes: I feel that most oil on the market is either of good, great or fantastic quality.....oil filters however are not created equal. There may be just as much Castrol GTX oil used in bikes as there is Rotella....many satisfied customers still going strong.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Fram wrote a response to the cardboard issue, read it in the Calsci site....they claim that it is their 'special' glue that holds the cardboard in place that we should be discussing, not the 'cardboard vs metal' issue.

My response?..... Okay, so your 'super strong glue' is good. Why should I buy your filter when I can get other filters with more metal parts (and possibly better build quality) for the same price?

·
Registered
704 Posts
Some of us try like heck to inform people that FRAMS are garbage, but what do we know???:rolleyes: I feel that most oil on the market is either of good, great or fantastic quality.....oil filters however are not created equal. There may be just as much Castrol GTX oil used in bikes as there is Rotella....many satisfied customers still going strong.
Add me to that group. Fram filters are junk.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
I just bought a Suzuki filter (1st one for new Vee) and installed last week. Damn, it's a heavy, solid part. It feels much denser than a typical filter. Considering my investment in the bike, I'm going to use Genuine Suzuki filters!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Suzuki filters aren't that bad, there's worse, but they ain't that great either.... Do yourself a favor and spend ten bucks to prove to yourself what is best... I did because I was curious after reading over at Calsci... Go buy a Pure One and a Suzuki filter and just hack them open... There is for sure more media in the Pure One... Shit I could fill any filter full of rocks... Just because it feels heavy doesn't mean anything..... Then in response to the people taking about oil.... There is reason why the trucking industry runs only synthetic oil... It's better! You would not find long haul trucks with 750,000 + miles on them if they were running Castrol GTX.... I know blah, blah, blah, diesel engines are different... makes no difference, they still wouldn't go 750,000 + running things like GTX... Now none of this really matters because no matter what oil and filters we run, we all here are about 95% likely to sell them long before any of this crap oil or filters would have a real world affect on our motors... The only caveats being a plugged pressure relief or if you are crazy enough to run a Fram and have it melt down on you... Read the consumer reports article, although I or they can't say it's the only conclusion you can come to, they pretty much tested everything six ways to Sunday with all possible variations in lubrication maintenance and methodology and couldn't come up with any real world differences in wear or performance...

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Go buy a Pure One and a Suzuki filter and just hack them open... There is for sure more media in the Pure One.
Pure One in my cars, but Purolater doesn't make a Pure One for Suzuki, specifically my 650 VStrom. Unless someone can correct me.

You'd think that with all the Pure One filters out there, one would be of an acceptable design to be a match for OEM Suzuki.

But, I can the the Hiflo filters locally for about $6.50 each, if I recall.

Steve.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Pure One in my cars, but Purolater doesn't make a Pure One for Suzuki, specifically my 650 VStrom. Unless someone can correct me.

You'd think that with all the Pure One filters out there, one would be of an acceptable design to be a match for OEM Suzuki.

But, I can the the Hiflo filters locally for about $6.50 each, if I recall.

Steve.
They have them in my town for my 650.... but i could be buying some other filter that just happens to fit... I will look at the part number and post it... I have three of them out in the shed....

·
Registered
126 Posts
Rotella 10w40?

Two different posters in this thread have referred to Rotella 10w40. Around here I've only seen Rotella in synthetic 5w40 and regular dino 15w40. Is there actually a 10w40 version?

I usually mix the synthetic and the dino 50:50 to get to 10w40 synthetic blend but I've never seen bottled 10w40.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Great, another oil thread. It is even better because it's over three years old.:confused:

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Two different posters in this thread have referred to Rotella 10w40. Around here I've only seen Rotella in synthetic 5w40 and regular dino 15w40. Is there actually a 10w40 version?

I usually mix the synthetic and the dino 50:50 to get to 10w40 synthetic blend but I've never seen bottled 10w40.
Only 5w/40 is the synthetic Rotella T.
http://www.shell.com/home/Framework...html/iwgen/products/product_rotellasynth.html

The whole Rotella family:
http://www.shell.com/home/Framework...ella-en/html/iwgen/products/dir_products.html

And their new blend of 15w/40 (non-syn):
http://www.shell.com/home/Framework...iwgen/press_release_2006/cj-4_intro_1006.html
This could be an interesting alternative for us, and it's on the shelf at Walmart next to the Rotella T synthetic. (I actually used this on my first oil change when I bought my new bike. After that fill, I went to the 5/40 syn T. Both are quite economical in gallon jugs.)

Hey, in reality, like your motorcycle owners manual states, just don't use oils with the donut label that says "energy conserving" within the donut. Beyond that, the engine doesn't know sh*t from Shinola.
(For those too young to remember... http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/114000.html)

Steve.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
They have them in my town for my 650.... but i could be buying some other filter that just happens to fit... I will look at the part number and post it... I have three of them out in the shed....
Yes, I'd be most interested in the filters you found.

Problem is Suzuki is using an oddball 20x1mm thread on the filter mounting, not many *good* choice filters to choose from.

See the charts here
http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/FilterXRef.html

Here are the choices that will fit the VStroms, as credited to the website mentioned above:

[2] These Oil Filters
have 20 x 1mm threads,
11 psi by-pass valve,
anti-drain back valve.

None are recommended.

This is a proprietary Suzuki
thread, and no high performance
filters are made for 20mmx1mm
threads. Available filters include:

* AMSOil SMF 109
* Bike Master 314-0025
* Champion PH7016
* Cycle Power 314-1919
* Emgo 10-55662
* Emgo 10-55660
* Fram PH6018
* Hi-Flo HF138
* J.C.Whitney ZX063166P
* K&N 138
* NAPA 1359 / WIX 51359
* Parts Unlimited
* Per-Form J-509
* ProPart 01-0029
* Purolator ML16818
* STP SMO-18
* Suzuki 16510-03G00-X07
* VESRAH vsf-3009

And from another part of this site:
http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/FilterStudy.html
The OEM Suzuki filter was given the best of the bunch "mechanical grade" (B), and an average filter media grade (C). But is also has one of the larger square inch areas of filter material (media) at 71 sq.in. of filter surface. Those things combined, I guess that in this case the lesser of all evils means the OEM Suzi oil filter is about the best bet/best choice for the VStroms.

Steve.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts