StromTrooper banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Folks,

This oil specifies a unique anti-sludge formula and the donut mark says API service SM, nothing more.

Specifically it doesn't say its an energy conserving oil, which the manual says to avoid, so I guess I'm ok to use this oil with the wet clutch?

Don't want to reactivate the brand threads, just want to know if this one is ok! ;-)

Cheers,
Jon.

· FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,702 Posts
It's okay.

· Living the Stereotype
11,551 Posts
Hi Folks,

This oil specifies a unique anti-sludge formula and the donut mark says API service SM, nothing more.

Specifically it doesn't say its an energy conserving oil, which the manual says to avoid, so I guess I'm ok to use this oil with the wet clutch?

Don't want to reactivate the brand threads, just want to know if this one is ok! ;-)

Cheers,
Jon.
I have and sometimes still do use it, depending on price and availability; with unremarkable results. And aren't unremarkable results what you really want from oil?

· Registered
4 Posts
Castrol GTX 10W-40 is what I have used in my bike since I got it.

There was one time I put cheap Canadian tire brand oil in and the clutch slipped like crazy after the first few hundred miles.

Switched back to Castrol GTX 10W-40 and it has been perfect sailing since.:thumbup:

· Registered
718 Posts
Castrol GTX 10W-40 is what I have used in my bike since I got it.

There was one time I put cheap Canadian tire brand oil in and the clutch slipped like crazy after the first few hundred miles.

Switched back to Castrol GTX 10W-40 and it has been perfect sailing since.:thumbup:
Thanks for the info folks. It's an easy oil to find (even Crappy Tire has it), and I'll probably switch over to it. I've been using the Suzuki oil till now (10,000+Kms)

Cheers

· Registered
110 Posts
I know the stigma that any oil thread carries with it, but since I am relatively new to the Wee world, I have a related question. The Previous Owner of my Wee said he has always run Rotella T cause "he heard it was good oil"... Coming from the KLR world, we were told to run Rotella during breakin since it has no moly and would help seat the rings and such, but after the breakin there was no further benefit.

I am considering changing to something else at my next oil change and wanted to see what y'all thought of the Rotella and PQ's statement...

· Registered
7,576 Posts
Here is an oil analysis report of unused Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 showing 61 ppm of moly: Shell Rotella T 5w40 VOA - Bob Is The Oil Guy

The only test I can find of Rotella 15W-40 is from Canada, might or might not be the same oil formulation as the U.S., and has no moly. By the way, I've seen internal data from a small U.S. maker of premium oil where they claim that moly in break in oil causes better break in than without--ordinary break in, they say, has asperities (tiny bumps) of metal contacting, pressure welding together, and tearing off until clearances are such that they no longer touch. They claim that moly in break in oil causes the high spots to smooth over without opening up clearances as much.

An automotive 10W-40 would not be my first choice in motorcycle oil. Getting the 10W-40 viscosity range with conventional base oil requires either a lot of viscosity index improvers, which (a) don't lubricate, and (b) are subject to shearing, especially in gears, unless the highest price VIIs are used. Or, very high quality (high cost) base oil is used. Sheared VIIs allow the oil viscosity to fall. Also, automotive oil is not the most robust oil. It has a lower level of antiwear agents (Zinc dialkyldithiophosphate, ZDDP, is one) and other compounds that make oil more durable and more protective than more robust diesel engine oil and perhaps motorcycle-specific oil.

· Living the Stereotype
11,551 Posts
An automotive 10W-40 would not be my first choice in motorcycle oil. Getting the 10W-40 viscosity range with conventional base oil requires either a lot of viscosity index improvers, which (a) don't lubricate, and (b) are subject to shearing, especially in gears, unless the highest price VIIs are used. Or, very high quality (high cost) base oil is used. Sheared VIIs allow the oil viscosity to fall. Also, automotive oil is not the most robust oil. It has a lower level of antiwear agents (Zinc dialkyldithiophosphate, ZDDP, is one) and other compounds that make oil more durable and more protective than more robust diesel engine oil and perhaps motorcycle-specific oil.
What would you recommend in a diesel oil?

· FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,702 Posts

· Registered
968 Posts
I used castrol gtx oil and highly recommend it. Canadian Tire had it on sale last week for $16 for 4 litres ($29 regular price), I bought a year's supply
I use the castrol 10-40 motorcycle oil around 4.50 a liter, and I don't have to wait for a sale. I don't know what the difference is in the "4 stroke motorcycle oil" and the GTX stuff.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.