StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm on the hunt to find out if anybody on the forum that has a Vstrom with cast wheels
has ever had an issue with a broken or cracked wheel during moderate off roading .
Seems easy enough to change the rubber for some with more Dirt orientation - And hit the
trails right ?

I'm not talking about stump jumping, Just moderate off roading or Enduro trail riding.

If you've seen "On any sunday" And the part where Steve McQueen and Mert Lawell
Are running "Cow Trails" on the wooded range then this is in this threads wheel house.

We know the XT's have what it takes but just how well do the DL's cast wheels work if
pushed to these limits. :wink2:

·
Registered
71 Posts
I do a lot of firetrails and some quite tough single track on my cast rims and all good so far. Did read of one guy denting his front rim after hitting a square edged rock, so they are to be avoided. He reckoned he just beat it back into shape back at home and all good! Presume that means he didn't even lose air out on the trail!! So just take a bit of care offroad, watch the upcoming terrain and roll over, don't accelerate over tough stuff.

·
Registered
454 Posts
There's been a few threads on bent cast wheels. If I remember, one guy was on his way back from Alaska and hit a rock in the road. Cast wheels have been heated and bent back by experienced folks. If you're going to hammer it offroad, you'll need spoke wheels to absorb the impacts.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
Like Clint Eastwood said..."do you feel lucky"?

Like above, I have seen destroyed wheels that required replacement by just hitting something on the road. Cast wheels are brittle since the Al is cast. A spoked wheel has extruded rims that are more bendable than cast.

Good thing about the newer stroms is the cast wheels have more than the 3 spokes of the older models. More spokes make the cast wheels stronger since the unsupported rim between spokes is much shorter.

I like my spokes, but if my Tenere had cast wheels, I doubt I would be changing them until I screwed one up.

·
Super Moderator
4,510 Posts
My cast wheels are fine for moderate off road use, but I do not lower my pressures for better off road grip. Instead I prefer to keep the pressures up to better protect my wheels. No problems so far.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Don't lower the tire pressure much if at all when going off road on cast wheels.

Especially on a 500 lb. bike!

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
The DL's cast wheels are fine off road PROVIDED you stay sensible.

I've dinged a rim riding off road, 22PSI front and rear and hit a 4" high lip on a concrete culvert. BMW 1200 got about the same sized ding, KTM 990 did a real number on his spoked rim. We managed to beat it back into shape with the back of an axe and some wood to get him home but he had to replace it soon after. (Cost a LOT more $$$ than a new DL cast wheel).

28PSI front and rear and I never had problems. That does assume you aren't trying to ride it like an MX bike, just going A->B on sometimes lumpy dirt roads.

If you ding them send them off to somewhere that rerolls them and they are essentially like new. DO NOT try to beat the ding out yourself.

·
Registered
14,228 Posts
If that is a Shinko, they do like to roll flat. My rear almost rolled of the rim just getting it on a Uhaul MC trailer. So if you ding a rim and roll the tire off the rims, you really be up the Creek, hopefully with tire irons and a pump.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Interesting that it's far more common than I thought. However , your comments make sense.
And even the spoke wheels are not super hero's either. It's all good , And round OOOOOOO .

·
Premium Member
4,147 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,479 Posts
An ex-colleague had a Strom wheel collapse causing him to crash. He's now a paraplegic (or quad, I'm not sure which) so he's also been trying to find others who have had wheel failure.

·
Registered
136 Posts
An ex-colleague had a Strom wheel collapse causing him to crash. He's now a paraplegic (or quad, I'm not sure which) so he's also been trying to find others who have had wheel failure.
Really? He should post his story online or at least post it on facebook and share his experience with the rest of us. Where was this at and when? What type of riding and at what speed? What year bike how many miles on it? Was the bike overloaded or not so much?

So far, I haven't heard of this happening to anyone else. I've only had my bike 1.5 years though. So far it seems as if it only happens if you hit something harder than normal.

When you consider how many V-stroms there are, I wouldn't say it's that common. Really what's common is people using their motorcycle for off roading when they should not be. When you consider how many people take the v-stroms off road and abuse them it's a wonder there are not more problems with the cast wheels. I've layed my bike down 2 times both were off road. No bent rims though.

Very sorry to hear this happened.

·
Registered
238 Posts
An acquaintance hit a pothole on the road doing about 50 mph. Bent and cracked the wheel - a tube was used to get home, then the wheel was replaced. It really depends what you hit and how fast you are going As mentioned above, a 4" step impact (culvert, curb, rock) will do more damage than hitting a fat branch that is sitting across your trail.

Skillful riding and common sense will get you through a lot of very rough terrain with no damage.

·
Registered
254 Posts
there is no big problem with cast wheels or not unless you riding hard enduro over rocky terrain.
Been doing this many times on my honda nc750x with knobby tires, rode whole Morocco on
and off-road and not a single chip.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Cast will take a pretty good beating but everything has it's limits. I took out two car rims on a pot hole north of San Francisco. Just watch for the land mines and pick your track carefully.

·
Registered
546 Posts
just found that I bent my front rim on 07 Wee while riding up some ledges on a jeep trail. did a bunch of other stuff to the underside, even with a good bash plate, so I clearly was over my limits. I beat it back down with a couple of hammers and the rim still holds air but there is a clearly visible flat spot on the rim...

it's fun on fire roads and the like but out of its element on the steeper rocks.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
I grew up on tyres (tires to some) that was my dads trade for most of his life.

He told me cast wheels were a safety wheel.

If they were damaged it was quickly evident, you knew you had damage it whereas other wheels could be damaged but it maybe less evident so on you go.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts