StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope you all are doing well . Has anyone tried to install later spoked rims in place of the cast rims? If so what is involved? I love my 2009 no ABS and no stupid looking beak also the benefit of having been fully farkled and the larger 5.8 gallon tank.

I like the idea of having rims that I don't need to worry about so much due to flexibility.

Thank You

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
The K9 Wee, in both ABS and non ABS, reads it's speed from the speedo pickup / sensor mounted on the front wheel axle. The L2 Glee models use a different speedo pickup setup, by detecting a reading off a mounting on the front sprocket. This again was changed to another method on the later models. Bottom line, if you want to go spokes for your K9 Wee, you have to find a solution to keep the speedo working on your current gauges.
Next up, is to find a spoked rim to fit the current forks or change the forks to match the spoked rims. Do have a look at Looking to switch to wire wheels and Project DL650 - More adventure style.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
My opinion the cost to benefit is not worth it.

It's the rare rider that hits something hard enough to damage a rim regardless of type.

Typically when it does happens it's off-road riding on reduced tire pressure. Tire pressure protects the rim especially on 500 lb. bikes with limited suspension capability.

Don't air down your tires and don't ride aggressively on terrain that's likely to damage your wheels. Problem solved, no money spent!

Reactions: Gert

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Yeah, cost vs benefit. I was on a long ride last summer and had that rare instance where I hit a deep hard pothole and it slightly bent the wheel. And while it was annoying to have to ride the bike another 5000 miles with a slight wobble, an eBay wheel was $300 shipped. Second time in 35 years of riding. First time was a few months after I started riding and having spoked rims didn’t help me then. For what it would cost for a set of custom spoke rims you could buy 3 or 4 new rims from Suzuki. Or 6 off eBay. So, worth the hassle? Not to me anyway.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I agree with Spec. We're talking about a 500-pound bike with so-so suspension and ground clearance, if you're riding so aggressively that you need spokes you might want to look at another bike. Keep the tires aired up and ride within the bike's limits and you're fine. I just did a week of off-pavement riding, the bike carried 180 pounds of me plus 60 or so pounds of gear over lots of potholes and some bumpy staircases, no problems with the wheels.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well that settles that I won't worry about it then. Groovy guys Thank You

1 - 7 of 7 Posts